How many calories does Strength Training burn???

Options
I went to the exercise tab and put in ALL the exercises I did today with the trainer and no calorie information came up. I thought you burned calories when you strength trained...whats the deal??? Anybody know how to calculate reps into calories? lol

Replies

• Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I have found that it is really hard to find exactly what I want in the exercise menu. Try Circuit training.
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    From the My Fitness Pal FAQ's page:
    Q. Doesn't strength training burn calories? Why don't you show any calories burned for strength training?

A. Estimating the calories burned from strength training is very difficult because it depends on a variety of factors: how much weight you lifted per repetition, how vigorously you performed that exercise, how much rest you took between sets, etc. Because of this, we do not automatically calculate how many calories you burned from strength training exercises.

However, if you'd like, you can add "Strength training" as a cardio exercise to get a rough estimate of how many calories you burned. Please be aware though that this is definitely a rough estimate and can be fairly inaccurate.
  • ActSingMom
    ActSingMom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Light weight lifting, and I mean maybe 3 sets using 10-15 lb weights, burned 41 calories for 15 minutes for me.

I have a Polar heart monitor. In it, I program my weight, height, etc. I tells me how many calories I burn based on my heart rate.

But remember this most important part:
    When you build strength, your build muscle, which burns calories more efficiently. More muscles, more calories burned. So whenever you increase your strength, you are also improving your body's motor.
  • mariaprice1
    Options
    I googled it and this is what I found:

(Free Weight Nautilus or Universal-type), Light or Moderate Effort, Light Workout, General )

204 calories per hour

Assuming a body weight of: 150 lbs

Thanks for the imput everybody!! :wink: