Breakfast.. how many calories do you eat?

Options
Hi everyone!

Just trying to look at my diary and see where I can improve. Starting to look at how many calories I've been eating for breakfast. Usually it's anywhere from 200- 350. I'm starting to think it should be more. Right now I'm 5'0, weight 165lbs. Trying to lose about a lb per week.

How many calories do you guys have for breakfast? I know everyone should do it differently based on weight, just curious to hear thoughts.

Replies

• Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I usually like being full for breakfast but that can range from 300-500 cals. Usually I like having 2 500 cal meals and the last 500 is for snacks.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    That depends... if you think of breakfast as the meal you eat when you wake up, then I eat 0 calories for breakfast.

If you think of breakfast as the first meal of the day, then eat that about 1pm and its usually about 750 calories, depending on whether its a workout day or not.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating nearer the end of the day. I hate being hungry in the evenings/night so i'll generally have a smaller breakfast, a medium lunch and a medium dinner. And sometimes a snack somewhere if I'm too hungry to go on. :)
  • tbrady1991
    tbrady1991 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Personally, I tend to graze at night time, and never healthy foods. So i eat about 500-600 calories for breakfast, then a light lunch, and dinner, and healthy snacks inbetween. I've found that doing this keeps me on track. Knowing that I don't have any calories left, curbs my nighttime candy treats.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I usually do about 140-250. But then I also have a morning snack at about 10:30 and that's another 140-150. So my morning usually totals about 400.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals. If I don't eat any snacks, then I shoot for 20-30% of my daily calories for breakfast during the week, but on the weekends, I like to make a big breakfast and eat a light lunch. I don't think there are any one-size-fits-all rules.
  • HellsBells61
    Options
    I'm lucky in that we have a great restaurant at work which opens early and servied a variety of breakfasts, so I get into the office nice & early and can take my pick. I usually target around 200-350 calories and have my main meal at lunchtimes (from the same restaurant!) of between 500-750 calories. The rest is used up in snacks, hot drinks and a light snack in the evenings. I never feel hungry as soon as a get up but by the time I get to work I'm ready to eat. :smile:
  • flakeandcake
    Options
    I don't set a 'target' cals amount because I usually graze throughout the morning. Some days I'll have oatmeal and extras for about 250 cals, at the moment i'll have a 100 calorie cereal bar, then eat a 100 cal bag of yoghurt covered fruit a few hours later. I might have greek yoghurt with fruit and compote (150 calories) if I'm still hungry.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Breakfast: 150-250 (aim for 200)
    Lunch: 350-400
    Dinner and Snacks: remainder (aim for 1320 per day)
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Looking through my diary, it can be anywhere from 150 (porridge) to 250/350 (English muffin with poached egg & ham/bacon).
    I tend to have a couple of higher days and the rest on the lower end of the scale every week. I'm not a big fan of eating in the morning, though, so something like a small bowl of porridge or chia pudding is often all I can manage.
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I had an apple at 6am before going to the gym. After the gym I had a EAS French Vanilla Shake. I like to keep it under 300-350 calories. I feel great!
  • heytherestephy
    heytherestephy Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    280-320 calories (i have instant oatmeal for breakfast or yogurt)
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I usually eat around 400-500 cals for breakfast which keeps me full until lunch despite a 30 minute bike ride just after breakfast. I net between 1300 and 1500 a day, but I exercise a lot, so most days I eat almost 2000.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it under 300 cals. If I include protein that generally keeps me going until late morning. If you're eating up to 500 try to split that into 2 and eat 250 early morning and 100-200 mid-morning. Keeping your metabolism going is key.
  • TheGuyMatt
    Options
    I *try* to abide by the "eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, and dinner like a pauper" rule. About 450 calories for breakfast, followed at 1045 by greek yogurt, lunch around 1, snack around 4, then dinner around 7.
  • live_your_dreams
    live_your_dreams Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I normally eat about 400-500. I think of breakfast as the meal that starts off my day. Your body has more fuel in the morning and will burn more calories. As the day goes by, your body will not burn as many calories. Because of that I will have a lighter lunch and an even lighter supper. I also do my cardio exercises in the morning because of the calorie burning aspect.

Hope this helps

Paryse
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast and usually wake up hungry! On running days, usually between 400 - 500 but on non running, 300 - 400.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The way you distribute your calories into meals may be very important for how it makes you feel, and how it makes you behave, and how it makes you stick to your diet.

But physiologically, it's not very important as it pertains to fat loss, provided we are just looking at different distributions of the same food.

That being said, I would base your decision entirely on personal preference. You could even skip breakfast and eat a huge dinner if you wanted to. Or, you could eat a massive breakfast and eat less later in the day. Or you could do something in between.

The point of this post? What other people do for breakfast will not likely have much of any relevance as to what you should do for breakfast (there's nothing wrong with asking of course). Experiment, see what gives you the greatest satisfaction and what makes it easiest for you to maintain long term.
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    I have about 500
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    700 to 800 usually.