Supplements?

Options
Do you all recommend supplements like Thermoboosts or Metabolizers, the ones you take 30 minutes before you eat? I wonder it taking them works and then when you stop you gain back what you lost? I tried the ones from Slim 4 Life, and I lost, but after I left that program I gained back a little. Now I have some Advocare products and wonder if it's worth using. I workout about 3 times a week and I eat decent, it could be better, I usually stray on the weekends. Please feel free to look at my diary and share your advice or experience.

Thanks,
Tanika

Replies

• BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    My metabolism was terrible before! I ate like 2 big meals a day and sat around all the time and got fat! Now I eat 5-6 healthier meals a day, exercise frequently, stay active and because of this my metabolism is inn overdrive, I am hungry every few hours and I burn it off really fast now. So I think there is no need to waste money, just eat throughout the day, eat enough food, and workout and stay active. I do take a multivitamin and b6/b12. So I spend maybe 10$ a month on them.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    My metabolism was terrible before! I ate like 2 big meals a day and sat around all the time and got fat! Now I eat 5-6 healthier meals a day, exercise frequently, stay active and because of this my metabolism is inn overdrive, I am hungry every few hours and I burn it off really fast now. So I think there is no need to waste money, just eat throughout the day, eat enough food, and workout and stay active. I do take a multivitamin and b6/b12. So I spend maybe 10$ a month on them.

Can you list what your average meal consists of during the day? I've always had a problem hearing 5-6 healthy meals a day, because to me...I dont see how this is possible...especially in a high stress fast paced environment I'm in.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

Can you list what your average meal consists of during the day? I've always had a problem hearing 5-6 healthy meals a day, because to me...I dont see how this is possible...especially in a high stress fast paced environment I'm in.

you can check my diary it is open, ( not all the healthiest snacks compared to some people, but healthy to me) but normally breakfast around 630. lunch at 11, snack before gym around 4, shake after gym around 7, and then dinner around 9, some days a small snack in between these meals as well
  • hotroddiva
    hotroddiva Posts: 21 Member
    Options

you can check my diary it is open, ( not all the healthiest snacks compared to some people, but healthy to me) but normally breakfast around 630. lunch at 11, snack before gym around 4, shake after gym around 7, and then dinner around 9, some days a small snack in between these meals as well

You had mentioned before to eat back the calories you burn from exercise on another post I think. What is the benefit of that? I would think the more I burn the better. Can you explain a little/
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    The only thing I take is a multivitamin from sams club and after a workout I take fish oil and glucosomine for my joints to absorb the workout better.
    I take a whey shake with 30 calorie almond milk for lunch on my non workout days and 1/2 hour before workout on workout days because Dr OZ says you burn more fat vs muscle on a non empty stomach.

As far as eating more often. I tried burn the fat feed the muscles and was eating all the time. It was great! I didnt cut down portion sizes enough though. I realized if I have a calorie proportionate meal and a healthy snack in between meals it is actually fairly close. I try to get my whole grains and carbs earlier and my fats and protein later in the day when possible.

My husband is stil following the basics of the eating more often. I explained it is like having a meal served to you and waiting 2-3 hours to eat the second half. You want the nutrition but need to spread the calories out. So, when he makes a loaded chiabatta sandawich I tell him to eat half for his second break.
  • spidertheman
    spidertheman Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You should throw in a cheat day once a week to boost your metabolism. Eat a few thousand calories over once a week and about a few days later you should weigh less due to the boosted metabolism, healthy eating, and little exercise.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    eating small meals every few hours doesnt really boost your metabolism. im just sayin
  • Tilran
    Options

You daily allowance is 2400ish...way higher then mine, that is why you can do 5-6 meals. At 1500 allowance, I cant come close to that.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

You daily allowance is 2400ish...way higher then mine, that is why you can do 5-6 meals. At 1500 allowance, I cant come close to that.

so up your calories? ;-) if you are set at 2 lbs a week , maybe switch it to 1 lb a week and see what happens
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    You should throw in a cheat day once a week to boost your metabolism. Eat a few thousand calories over once a week and about a few days later you should weigh less due to the boosted metabolism, healthy eating, and little exercise.
    I have wondered about this. Based on your weight loss I would have to say it works. What do your cheat days look like? Does anybody else do this?
  • BackTatJIM
    Options

You had mentioned before to eat back the calories you burn from exercise on another post I think. What is the benefit of that? I would think the more I burn the better. Can you explain a little/

If you are set to net say 1400 calories a day to lose 1 lb a week and you eat 1400 calories but then burn 300 doing a workout you will only net 1100 instead of your 1400. which would result in you not eating enough.... I am not great at explaining these things and am in no place to tell others how much to eat, just trying to lend some advice as simple as I can ...
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    I have wondered about this. Based on your weight loss I would have to say it works. What do your cheat days look like? Does anybody else do this?

look at my diary for yesterday ..... I normally have one of those days =) not to speed my metabolism but to have fun!
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    eating small meals every few hours doesnt really boost your metabolism. im just sayin

and I would say differant things work for different people! and I was sharing what has worked for me, I am no Dr. but thanks ;-)
  • Tilran
    Options
    I am at 1.5 a week to get the 1500 a day calories. I dont think upping my calories will help as I'm slowly losing weight right now....if I was droping weight quickly I'd think about upping my calories...but right now I'm actually thinking the opposite and going to 1200.
  • BackTatJIM
    Options
    Hey man thats great, do what works for you. I just know the closer I got to my goal weight the more I had to eat. Keep it up !
  • spidertheman
    spidertheman Posts: 38 Member
    Options

check out my pages blog and you'll get an idea of just how all out i go on these cheat days. they're usually AT LEAST 8000 calories. just eat healthy and exercise regularly on the other 6 days a week.