Starvation mode?

Options
Sakye
Sakye Posts: 31 Member
I've been exercising and eating good for a couple months now, even though last weeks weren't exactly perfect... But I can't lose a pound, I've been stuck between 140 and 135 since February and I start feeling a little disappointed. Since I've been using MFP however, I realized that I'm mostly not eating enough calories/day and I always get this notice telling me that it could affect my loss.

What can you guys tell me about that?

Replies

• Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Beware. This topic is beat to death on the forums. A search might be helpful before you post a question becasue some people on the forums can be very mean.

Check out this link. It will answer some of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

In short? Eat more.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    share your diary and keep it up to date, then ask again.. it will save you a lot of problems
  • EllaNovella
    Options
    Well, if you eat less than 1200 calories, the military force in your body goes:

"What the hell is going on?? EVASIVE MANEUVERS!! We are starving people! Turn everything into fat! Don't let anything leave the body without fighting! **WAR SOUNDS**

"Don't die on me!!!"

*You eat something*

"She ate something! Grab hold of it! Stall everything and don't let it go!!!"
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    You look pretty good in your profile pic. You may be very near your ideal weight. Eat healthy and be patient.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Beware. This topic is beat to death on the forums. A search might be helpful before you post a question becasue some people on the forums can be very mean.

Check out this link. It will answer some of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

In short? Eat more.

True...they need to make it mandatory for posters screaming about being in "starvation mode" to state their body fat percentage first (before beating this particular dead horse). P.S. Beware of all of those folks telling you to just blindly up your calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709539--eat-more-to-weigh-more
  • Sakye
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers! :)
    And yes, I'm very near the goal I fixed myself at the beginning of my weight loss (6 pounds to go!), so I'm losing weight really really slowly and it's alright this way, but I really want to achieve it.

I have troubles eating the 1500 cals that MFP is telling me to eat, I'm just not that hungry. Maybe I should snack more.
  • RawVeganFlirt
    RawVeganFlirt Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    read up about metabolism reset. i broke my plateau by increasing my calories by 500+ believe it or not
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have found when I get stuck that the following things can help:

Increase calories - I find that an increase in fat calories seems to help my body
    Completely change work out - what you are doing, schedule, intensity, etc
    Take a break - sometimes you need a few days off
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    And yes, I'm very near the goal I fixed myself at the beginning of my weight loss (6 pounds to go!), so I'm losing weight really really slowly and it's alright this way, but I really want to achieve it.

I have troubles eating the 1500 cals that MFP is telling me to eat, I'm just not that hungry. Maybe I should snack more.

Hey kid - check my blog from about day 1. I STILL struggle to reach 1200 calories. But I found a way to reach down, grab my nuts and man-up to what I know is good-science behind folks encouraging me to eat more.

So what I didn't "FEEL" hungry? I am now brave enough to go beyond feelings and take action on GOOD data telling me to suck-it-up-butter-cup and EAT.

Evidence?

At my 800C/Day diet - for most of July...I lost 0 pounds. In 20 days here I've lost 4.

Stop complaining about not wanting to eat, and be the boss of your body, honey. :)
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options

Low appetite...no weight loss? Is it possible to increase your workout?
  • jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's a little hormone called leptin - check out bodycomposition .com- part 6 has the answer!

Good Luck!
  • Sakye
    Options

Hey kid - check my blog from about day 1. I STILL struggle to reach 1200 calories. But I found a way to reach down, grab my nuts and man-up to what I know is good-science behind folks encouraging me to eat more.

So what I didn't "FEEL" hungry? I am now brave enough to go beyond feelings and take action on GOOD data telling me to suck-it-up-butter-cup and EAT.

Evidence?

At my 800C/Day diet - for most of July...I lost 0 pounds. In 20 days here I've lost 4.

Stop complaining about not wanting to eat, and be the boss of your body, honey. :)

I was under the impression that, because I wasn't feeling hungry, I didn't had to eat more. In fact, I was afraid that if I was eating more than my body was asking, I'd gain weight instead of losing.

But hey, apparantly I'm wrong. I'll try to eat more and I will see if it's working!
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options

I was under the impression that, because I wasn't feeling hungry, I didn't had to eat more. In fact, I was afraid that if I was eating more than my body was asking, I'd gain weight instead of losing.

But hey, apparantly I'm wrong. I'll try to eat more and I will see if it's working!

Honey - that was EXACTLY me. Still is somedays. Use your knowledge to whip your body into submission. You got this!! Take it slow and easy.

Regards,

-DD
  • Sakye
    Options

Low appetite...no weight loss? Is it possible to increase your workout?

I work out 2 times a week now, I will increase it to 3 times in September.
  • NicoleBecca
    Options
    bump