Zumba and HRM?

Options
So I have been doing Zumba on the Wii and for 20 mins (for weeks) it says I burn 394 calories. I just got a HRM and started using it yesterday. For a walk at a mod pace I burned 125 calories in 19 mins (HR 110-128). I did zumba this morning with the HRM and it showed I only did 125 calories for 20 mins (HR 120-136) I was sweaty and slightly out of breath at the end.
How is this possible?
I even plugged the numbers into a zumba workout calculator and at a low intensity I was still at 214.
This is so frustrating!

We all know every calorie counts!

Replies

• Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Do you have an HRM with a chest strap?
  • ninic010386
    ninic010386 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    i'm having the same issue with my hrm. i worked out for 40 minutes keeping my heart rate between 129 and 150 which is my zone and it said i only burned 265 calories. and i have a polar ft4 with chest strap. i am lost on what to do.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I did an hour long Zumba class on Sunday, my heart rate was mostly in the 150s/160s but went up to 170 at one point. My HRM estimated around 390 calories for the hour. I think my HRM is accurate and I'd trust it over the Wii.
  • Erica27511
    Options
    I have an HRM with chest strap and burn roughly 645 cals in one hour. I am also 5' 7" and 300lbs. My sister is 5' 3" 145lbs and burns 300 in an hour.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options
    I'm jealous, I'm also 5'7 and 285 lbs but I'm also learning the moves as this was only my 3rd class and 2nd class with this instructor. I think once I learn the moves better, I'll burn more calories but no idea how I'd get up to 600 calories!

Do you happen to know your average heart rate for the hour?
  • stargreen25
    Options
    I have the FT4 with chest strap and I am 5'6 245lbs
  • Erica27511
    Options
    I'm jealous, I'm also 5'7 and 285 lbs but I'm also learning the moves as this was only my 3rd class and 2nd class with this instructor. I think once I learn the moves better, I'll burn more calories but no idea how I'd get up to 600 calories!

It's usually high 150's/low 160's. I have a great instructor. And know all the moves so I do think once you know all the moves you may burn more. Sorry I don't have all the answers :ohwell:
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You have a nice low HR, so the burn looks about right. If you want to burn more, you have to push the HR up. Add something else before the Zumba.

I would trust the HRM over what the game gave you any day. It may be lower than you thought, but it's better to know for sure.

You'll notice as you get more fit, you burn less doing the same things, and need to push harder in order to burn more, or even the same as you did before.
  • Lina4Lina
    Options

It's usually high 150's/low 160's. I have a great instructor. And know all the moves so I do think once you know all the moves you may burn more. Sorry I don't have all the answers :ohwell:

No problem, was just curious. I was in the 150s mostly, 160s somewhat. I may also have to recalculate my VO2Max in my HRM, I haven't done that in a while.