NSF (Non-scale fail)

Options
So yesterday I'm in the mall and I run into a guy I haven't seen in a few years and the first thing he says is "I see you still got that stomach...still eating good I see":grumble: What the?!?!?!? So now it's time to refocus.

Okay so I can honestly say that my efforts to get my body where I want it have been little to none as of late. I love checking out the "Success Stories" and seeing really incredible results; however I'm often embarassed when I come across those that say "I started Jan 1 of this year at Xlbs but today I weigh...that's a loss of 70lbs" :noway: Holy smokes! You lost that much in only 8 months??? Meanwhile I have been using MFP ahem...*cough* 300+ days:sick: and have lost a grand total of 15lbs to date. That of course include losses and gains.:embarassed: :cry:
This has been all my fault! Yo-yo dieting, inconsistent gym work, and bad food choices (including not drinking water):grumble:
From this day forward I will be kicking my own *kitten* (I don't usually curse)! Finding ways to stay active, no longer over indulging, drink water like a fish and no more sodas or sweets (at least not until I feel comfortable)!
Looking for workout partners in Orange Park area for some 4am gym time.

Replies

• Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    Good luck to you! Sometimes that "slap in the face" moment is what we need to jumpstart motivation. You can do this! :happy:
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    Hey, I am nowhere near Orange Park, so I can't help you there. But good for you for deciding to make the change. I am sending you a friend request if you need help kicking your own butt. I'll keep you on track if you do the same for me!
  • JMJ1983
    JMJ1983 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    What a Jerk!! Who says that to someone?? At least you're taking it in the right direction to better yourself!!!
  • peridot1383
    peridot1383 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok first of all.. good on you for re-committing. Second of all, never speak to that guy again. HOW RUDE! You look tremendously happy in your profile pic and 15 lbs down and maintained is GREAT! Be proud of the fact that you've committed to MFP for as long as you have. Remind yourself of why you want to lose weight (and I certainly hope it's not so that you can see Mr. Jerk again and tell him to stuff it... though that would be fab!)

You got this!
  • alschultz33
    alschultz33 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Umm...guy at the mall...totally rude!

But hey, if that's what it takes to fire you up, then thank goodness for the jerks in the world. When you reach your goal (notice I said "when and not "if" :wink: ), I hope you run into this guy again and feel proud of yourself!

I've fallen off the wagon a few times, I've been dieting for years. This is the first time I've been consistent (although, the weight loss has been SLOW)...the key is consistency. Don't give up if you screw up and eat half a cake one day...just get back on track immediately. Looking forward to your before/after results :happy:

Good luck!!
  • cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Woa man, people can be so rude it never ceases to piss me off...

BUT, on the plus side it seems to have given you sufficient motivation to reassess your fitness goals. Yeah, some ppl on MFP seem to have a knack for the weight loss thing, but there are a ton of us in the slow and steady boat as well.

15 lbs down is no small feat. Really, you should be pretty stoked about that. Before I found MFP and was able to drop a few lbs I would have done ANYTHING to lose 15! And who knows where you would be without making the efforts you have been these past 300 days!

It's great you are able to pinpoint some areas that need work, and have motivation for 4am workout sessions! This will definitely get you results, just put in the time. Focus on your achievements so far and remember Jillian's quote, "if you're not failing, you're not trying hard enough!"

So true, setbacks are inevitable, but we keep pushing forward
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Omgosh I have soooo been there. After my 1st child my own father says "Well now you will never get that weight off" I have and several times over with each child, I am on child number 5 now. I learned long ago though to not use hurtful words as motivation to lose weight. I always ended up bingeing in the end. Instead do it for yourself, have yourself a good cry for being hurt and let it go, no hurt words help they hinder. You are beautiful and you need to focus on eating right for you. Don't worry about those who lose 70 pounds in 8 months, instead lose 1/2 a pound a week to 1 pound and enjoy it because you are losing weight to keep it off. I think that people never grow up and I know people that have said to me, well I am glad that the hurtful words I told you worked, how sucky is that, I tell them Nope, they hurt and I kept plugging away losing 1/2 a pound to a pound a week and now I just don't like you, yep it works. Cheer up and keep up the great work!!
  • andreakursten
    Options
    I cannot believe that someone can greet another with a comment like that. That was very rude of him wether he meant it or not. I'm sorry if I'm overreacting more than you are, but I just felt outraged when I read what the guy said to you.

That being said, I think it's perfectly awesome that you lost 15lb, including losses and gains, in about 9 months to a year!
    To be honest, I'm a huge supporter of slow weight loss, since I believe that quick loss tends to not last long.
    I've read about so many people who lost incredible amount of weight in such a short time through weight watchers etc. who have gained it all back in a few months to a year.
    So don't be discouraged that other people are losing weight at a faster rate than you are, because the fact that you steadily kept the loss of 15lb for a year is very good!
    You should be proud of yourself!

I'm going list some of the things I've been doing that I think are little tips/habits that can help in the big picture.
    I thought you could read it if you'd like.

I only work out for about 30 minutes 6 days a week and burn about 200 cal per day.
    What I'm trying to say is, I think what works in the long run is the best way to determine how much work out people should do everyday.
    I've tried burning 500+ cal everyday by running on a treadmill for a while before, and yes, it did bring a short term significant weight loss, but I had to stop primarily because my ankle started to hurt, and also because I was just too tired to continue any longer.

Also, I found out that for me, drinking a cup of water before a meal reduces the amount I eat.
    I eat the same menu for breakfast and lunch everyday, cereal and salad respectively, but eat whatever I want for dinner.
    So I used to overeat for dinner, but now that I started drinking a cup of water before a meal, I eat less but still feel full.
    Maybe this is something everyone already knows, but I only recently found out myself.

Lastly, I started to eat only a bite off of food. It sounds weird, but that's really what I began to do. Sometimes, I just really want to eat some sweets that I know I shouldn't eat. Then I just take a bite and give the rest to my family, throw it away, or store the rest etc. and chew on the small bite that I took for so long that I feel like I ate the whole thing. Also, nowadays when I eat something, it's after considering how much I would enjoy eating it. If I think it'll taste good, I do my one-bite thing. If I don't think so, I don't eat it. I have to say that I became pretty picky and selfish about what I eat, but that's what diet costs I guess.

I hope what I wrote can be helpful to you.
    And I say you should forget about the rude comment at a mall!
    If you think about it, losing 15lb every year can add up to 30lb in a year, 45lb in two years and so on, which is really impressive!
    So good luck to both of us, and I hope you'll find your own satisfying and successful way of diet!
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Ew, what an arsehole to say that to you.

I got one on Friday night, was at a pub with my friends and one of them saw her boyfriends uncle, we all started chatting, and he turned around and said to me, Hey, Bigbird.... I was disgusted lol. I've lost 63 pounds, I do not want to be called Bigbird. I am in my ideal BMI. I wanted to punch him, I swear. My friend straight away laughed and said, he means 'cos you're tall. I laughed it off but it really got to me!
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Guys can be brutal to other guys. Glad to hear you are using his rude remark to fuel your fitness efforts. Best wishes.
  • tdaddybarlow
    tdaddybarlow Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the motivation! It is so greatly received and appreciated!
  • PrayerofAmity
    PrayerofAmity Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    You can do this.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!