Couch to 5K Programs - Your Experience

Options
I would really like to hear success stories related to this program...especially those that might have been smokers in the past. I am 57 and have been attending a bootcamp exercise class for the last 3 years and I am most definitley stronger than most but fall to the bottom of the heap when it comes to running/jogging. I am determined to be a better runner but also have a huge fears that I will fail because of all the years of smoking. Anyway, I am on Week 1 and would like any input or suggestions, etc.

Replies

• tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I haven't actually finished C25K, but being an ex-smoker and non-runner myself, I really enjoy the program. I am overweight, but the way you are eased into running has actually been quite pleasant. There are times where I do have to push myself, but it's never not-acheivable to reach the next "phase" of the "run" for any particular day. I've found having the app on my phone helps me out A LOT, so I would suggest downloading that if possible.

I hope it works out!
  • NikkiSmo
    NikkiSmo Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker but I have completed the C25K program. I started it at 210lbs and no exercise prior to day 1. I completely LOVED the program (and hated it at times). I still couldn't run a 5K at the end of the 9 weeks because the program works on timed running rather than distance. However its been 2 months since I completeld the program and I can now run 4 miles. I still have a love / hate realtionship with running but I think that will get better with the more weight I loose. Oh I'm down to 165 and my legs are looking awesome!
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and completed the program in September last year. I could not run 5k at the end of it, but I could run for 30 minutes, I gave up smoking around week 4, just because I was enjoying running so much and smoking did make it very difficult.

It did become so much easier after that. I ran my first 5k race in November, a 2nd one in December, a 10k race in Jan and a half marathon in Feb! I loved the program so much and tell everyone I know about it!
  • racerscottw227
    Options
    I used to smoke and I couldn't walk a mile without feeling a bit short of breath. I quit about a year ago though with the help of whatever that quit-smoking-drug is.

Also, every time I used to try to get in shape through running, it would take me a month or so to be able to run a mile and then I would get injured due to over use.

This time I'm using C25k. I first started week 1 on a treadmill and had no problem, then tried to do the same thing outside and I couldn't. Turns out, it is much harder to run outside than indoors on a treadmill. So I started over and am only running outside. Granted I'm only on week 2, but I don't feel exhausted anymore.

I can't give you a beginning to end story, but while in progress I am feeling pretty good about it. I'm also mixing in cycling and strength training in order to help with my running.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I never smoked, but I was a non-runner before I started C25K.. and now I can run for 28 minutes and about 2.7 miles.

I think the biggest thing is to go really slow... esp. if you are going to do the program outside. I pretty much flew through weeks 1 and 2.. and then got to week 3 and had to slow down a ton because I couldn't complete the intervals otherwise.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about a year ago and find it fairly easy to jog from a lung/breathing perspective. My legs and shin splints don't like it very much though. Just go slow and easy and I am sure you will improve with time.
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouragement. I am going to keep at it and see how it goes. I am looking forward to my 3rd walk/jog of Week 1.
  • hedkell
    hedkell Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others, keep at it and go slow. It does get much easier I promise!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I quit about 9 years ago. I completed C25K in May (was NEVER a runner before, not even as a kid). I started working on a 10K program but have had to slow down with that due to hip issues. But I am now a RUNNER. Going out tonight for another 5K run. You can do it!
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I am 35 and quit smoking and started C25K the same week. I did the program, repeating some weeks. I ran my first 5K on June 2 and my second on July 12. I would say to push yourself but to listen to your body. My second 5K was a very hilly course and my knees weren't happy. I have "runner's knee" now in my left knee and am unsure when I can run again.
    But, I loved it and feel happy that I graduated!

You can do it!
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    How much weight/inches have people lost doing the Couch to 5K? How long does it take to complete your daily session? What else, if anything did you do for excercise while doing this? Sorry to ask a bunch of questions - but want to try this - but am very intimidated. Thanks :)
  • onawhymm
    onawhymm Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Hi my friend! I quit smoking 3.5 years ago and never thought I could run for 30 minutes EVER! I did C25K in 2011 and then had to stop around week 7 due to foot surgery but finished it the second time on 2012. I highly reccomend it. I also reccomend downloading the free podcast off of Itunes - NHS Choices Couch to 5 k. It's a british health website but the music is great and "laura" has a lovley british accent to egg you on. Plus - it's free!

Good luck and have fun :)
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How much weight/inches have people lost doing the Couch to 5K? How long does it take to complete your daily session? What else, if anything did you do for excercise while doing this? Sorry to ask a bunch of questions - but want to try this - but am very intimidated. Thanks :)
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the answers to these questions too? I just completed week 3 day 2 and people claim that they see a difference, but the scale hasn't moved. I haven't been tracking my calories, which I know would help, but just wondering what other things people did to complete this program??
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It worked great for me. not so much for weight loss. but i have run 2 5k races in less than 30 minutes each time so i consider that success. it is about building endurance to do a 5k. the only way to change your weight is to eat fewer calories. you probably will burn some calories doing running but you have to make sure your diet is in line with that. just make sure not to eat too much because running does make you hungrier i think anyway... but i did complete the program and it did help me get to my goal, running a 5k. I still run, I lift weights (Chalean extreme) and i do the elliptical. cardio is only 2x a week for me now. weightlifting is what i'm doing now. and actually weightlifting and cutting calories has been the only thing i've noticed making a huge difference in how my body looks. running is great for your heart and endurance though. i still want to do it no matter if it's just a calorie burner or somethign more.

oh and for me it took 9 weeks to build up to the 5k distance. each session on the android app is about 30 minutes
  • randomnennie
    randomnennie Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wanted to see what the result was! I'm on week 2 and very interested to hear your story.

So *bump*! :)
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm not a smoker but I started the C25K programme at 235lbs and ran my first ever race - a 5K two weeks ago in a personal best of 35 minutes. In all honesty I never actually completed the C25K as by week 6 I was already running for 30 minutes (in preparation for my scheduled 5k race), so I worked off my own programme after that.

However I'll always be grateful to C25K for turning me into a runner, I found it incredibly difficult to even run for 90 seconds the first week and now I'm regularly running 3 days a week, and have increased my distance to 4 miles (working on training for a 10K). I'm now 30lbs lighter than when I started, which makes it a little easier though. To get started running, personally I can't recommend C25K enough, never did I feel like there was too big a jump in the weekly runs and it gave me a schedule to keep to, which was great motivation, as I knew 'oh this is the week 4 day two run today' and that spurred me on.

Three months ago I couldn't run if i was being chased by an axe murderer, after C25K, I'm pretty confident that I'd out run him ;-)
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It turned this non runner into a runner. I was never a smoker but I was in the obese category - since starting the C25K I have lost 20lbs. I graduated 2 weeks ago.
  • judcost
    judcost Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I'm looking for the answers to these questions too? I just completed week 3 day 2 and people claim that they see a difference, but the scale hasn't moved. I haven't been tracking my calories, which I know would help, but just wondering what other things people did to complete this program??

I'm at the end of C25K and tracking my calories. I'm at 1200 calories. I'm 5'6'' and started at 191 (post pregnancy, but I probably only gained 10 lbs during pregnancy). I'm doing my first 5k this coming Sunday. The program is amazing. I can now run 5k at 10:1 intervals. I think I could do it non stop also. I lost about 7-8 lbs. The scale is moving slowly but people say my face looks slimmer and I kinda feel looser in my clothes. I do have more energy even tough I wake up at night to feed baby and barely sleep during the day.

ONe thing STICK TO IT you will see the result in your endurance and cardio. I know I did.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I recently completed the C25k program last month. It helped me tremendously. And since you asked, I smoke a pack a day. :smokin:

I credit the C25k program for my ability to keep up with the Thirty Day Shred program. I would not have the endurance without that.