Question on Insanity

Options
Hi all,
I am considering getting the Insanity work out because I am hearing great things about it. However, I personally am about 40 ish pounds overweight... I am worried that at my current physical condition it will be too intense... (to the point where I can not physically complete them) Any thoughts, advice, success stories from people that were/are in my situation?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• kisses4dylan
    kisses4dylan Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat - debating on ordering it as well! Ill be looking to see people's responses!
  • sneckerdoodle
    sneckerdoodle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i won't lie, it is hard. you just have to take it at your own pace and use the pause button as many times as you need to. you will see results and start building more endurance as you go through the program. good luck if you decide to try it.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry I don't have any before and after pictures, because I'm a chicken, but I have words to share :)

First advice, I found that a headband is not a good idea, its a GREAT IDEA! Also I tend to have icecube in my water because otherwise I drink the water to fast and I end up feeling like I am going to throw up. I would recommend before and after pictures and measurements. Take your rest days and rest don't push yourself even if you feel like you are going to be okay. . .you need to rest! More advice if you need to cheat do it! I did one round of insanity and I loved it. My whole body ached, I could hardly get myself to workout I was so sore. My knees hurt so bad and I thought I was going to die during my workouts. At the end, it was wonderful, I loved it! I miss it! When you think you are going to die, that is when you need to dig. When you think you can't do it, remember you can!

Feel free to add me. I'll be starting insanity August 27th after my foot heals and vacation is over!
  • robin820
    robin820 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Im at least 30 pounds over weight and I might not be able to do everything at the same rate as them, but I give it my best shot and everyday gets a littl ebit easier and I do a little bit more with a few less breaks in the workout. I look at it like this, I am doing more then I did yesterday and yes I am seeing small results, that areand will be rewarding in the end! >:O) I just finished day 1 of week 2.
    Good luck, you can do it!
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Insanity IS intense. Someone 100 pounds or more overweight, I might say to hold off a bit. Maybe too much weight on the joints, ext, but I think that you would LOVE the results, and I say GO FOR IT!!!!

As for physically getting through the workouts....I think most people that are at goal weight, and in exellent physical condition still have issues getting through them at first. You just DO NOT gove up! Can'y do anymore (or even one lol) push up? Do girl push ups, or hold plank!! Can't jump in the air ONE MORE TIME?? Jog in place for the minute until the move changes to something different. You really have to go into with your 'feelings' left at the door because I promise that 5 minutes in you will want to give up. I have done Insanity Asylum and the original, and I STILL think about quitting almost everytime! After the 1st time you will be so proud that you did it, and the progression you will see in your strength and body is unbelievable! GO FOR IT
  • tiffonibologna23
    Options
    I just started it yesterday, with the same concerns you have. It is pretty tough but they have some great breaks and stretches in between the craziness, which helps a lot. I get a little disappointed when I can't complete them 100% but at the same time, I'm doing a lot more than what I was and could, so I look at it positively..
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i love insanity!! it's a really hard workout and i started it when i was overweight and there were some parts i just couldn't do and modified them until i was able to do it and occassionally would hit pause to catch my breath. it's not for anyone that gives up quickly. it's an extreme workout and I pretty much threw up after for a couple of weeks. if you get discouraged easily, don't do it. if you want something that is hard and a great challenge, buy it and modify some of the moves until you are able to do it.
  • BackinShape001
    Options
    here's the thing: you need to be dedicated and motivated because IT IS HARD! Shaun T will try to kill you. But if you stick with it, you,ll get better. Also when you watch the videos, you'll see the people doing the exercise will stop and catch their breath and take a break also. No matter what your shape is Insanity is never easy.
    I say buy it, it will change you!
  • slimsconie
    Options
    Hi,

Just do it at a slower pace. Shaun T tells you this throughout the workout. Also, stop if you feel you need to. I've redone Insanity over 12 times and I will never buy another workout. I also have Insanity Asylum and IT'S worse than the 1st one. YOU CAN DO IT!!!

slimSCONIE
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Insanity is no joke however, if you're determined to do your best then it's a great program to try. You don't (and shouldn't) try to keep up with the folks in the video...they've all be doing Insanity for a lot longer than us beginners. It takes dedication and effort to get through all 63 days but if you want a challenge then I say go for it.

I started Month 2 today and I took A LOT of breaks just to make it through the workout. I will share though that I've seen an increase in my strength and endurance from the work I did in the first month. I lost a little over 5 lbs and 2 inches off my waist so far (plus an inch of my chest and an inch off my hips).

Give it a try. If you buy it from Beachbody you get a 30 day money back guarantee so you can always return it if you hate it...but I don't think you will! :bigsmile:

Feel free to friend me if you want an Insanity buddy!
    Sharon
  • bsktlvr
    bsktlvr Posts: 17
    Options
    I personally have not done the Insanity workouts. I have heard from friends that it is very intense. I have done various Jillian Michaels videos and they are intense as well, maybe not to the point of Insanity, I don't know. But here's my thinking...try it. The chances of you being able to do it just like the video may be low, but the more times you do it, you'll go futher each time. I, too, was overweight when I started my way on a healthier lifestyle. I was 40+ pounds overweight. I started working out at the gym, feeling very intimated and worried 'everyone was watching', they aren't. They are too busy working out themselves. The more fit I became, the more I wanted to do more, so I started looking at videos and chose Jillian Michaels. There are still things that she does, that I can't do exactly like her, but I make amendments, and I keep going. You can too!!! None of us know what we can do until we try. I am 46 and have been doing this for 1 1/2 years now. I feel better, I look better. But mostly, I feel I'm doing something for me, something that I can pass down to my kids. If I had to do it over, I wish I had started earlier in life, but I'm not looking back. After 44 pounds, I think I should lose about 10 more and I'll get there, one pound at a time. You can too!!!
  • mrguse
    mrguse Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to get through them... probably not for a long time. That's how it's designed. Heck, unless you're already pretty fit, 90 minutes of any type of workout is a tough order. 90 minutes of advanced plyometrics would exhaust anyone (and I mean anyone).

Here's the thing: if you're okay with not finishing the DVDs and are sated by advancing progress through them (or aren't frustrated when you're having to only do a few seconds of a particular workout), then get them. If you're the type (like me) where that lack of completion would drive me nuts to the point of quitting, save your money or look for a less intense program. Insanity isn't built to come off the couch and succeed immediately, regardless of what the commercials say. If you do it, you must consider your success by keeping up better in week 3 than you did in week 1, not in terms of completion.

Oh, and as for the six-pack in 90 days... it's bunk. Look closely at the fine print of those cut guys/gals in the commercial. They say something like "Results after 5 rounds of Insanity." That's not 3 months... that's 15 months. Any decent workout routine would have you in great shape in over a year of continuous use.
  • l_beakley
    Options
    I have it but am afraid to try it because I am SO overweight! I'm willing to try a little bit each day until I can get through it. I know it will take a long time for me to get it but I love the feeling of accomplishment :)
  • Berger2011
    Options
    Per the charts, I am 100lbs overweight, I have been doing Insanity for just over 30 days and love it!!! Don't get me wrong, it is very demanding and physical, but just give it everything you got and you will get results. You may not be at Shaun T.'s level by the end of 60 days, I am going into month 2 and am no where near his level, but I feel good when I am done. It is a great program and I can promise you if you stick with it you will get results over time. Like others have said there is a 30 day trial or something if you don't like it. Good luck!!
  • sharibar
    Options
    Based on my experience with Insanity, I can guarantee you will not be able to complete it (at the beginning, that is). I was in your boat 7 months ago. It was amusing on my first day when I realized I was exhausted not even 10 mins in and the warm up wasn't complete! That said, I recommend you get it. Work within your ability and persist. Soon you'll be breezing through the warm ups (& holding your own in the work out)! That alone, coupled with eating properly jump started my weight loss journey. I will admit I quit doing the DVD after 2 months but when I joined the gym about 4 months ago, it helped me a lot with my confidence and ability to complete my exercise routine. I lost 20 lbs in 3 months eating properly consistently and doing Insanity for only 2 months.

So get it! But don't be discouraged and keep at it...just responding to you, I feel that I should start back even once per week with the DVD (in addition to the gym).
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if you don't have any medical reasons that would restrict you from pushing yourself and you are the type of person that loves that challenge then get it. The body is amazingly adaptable.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I am about 25 lbs overweight and 48 years old. I have been doing it (thought not religously) for about 3 weeks. It is a great challenge and if you like challenges you will love it. Just go at your own pace and set your own mini goals. Mine was to be able to do real pushups. No I can do 5 - woo hoo - it may not sound like much to some - but for me it was huge! I'm getting ready to do a mini challenge for myself and any friends that want to join me - feel free to add me as a friend!
  • Enonoid
    Enonoid Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am starting it today.