Help me make my grocery list!

Options
I know that if I have good food choices in the house and readily available, I won't cheat and eat something bad.
But I always struggle with what to get at the store and what will actually taste good and truly be healthy (or not UNhealthy, I guess).

So, tell me some of the things that are ALWAYS on your grocery list...anything from breakfast foods, to dinner foods and the snacks in between!

Thanks in advance for the help! :smile:

Replies

• pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    I know that if I have good food choices in the house and readily available, I won't cheat and eat something bad.
    But I always struggle with what to get at the store and what will actually taste good and truly be healthy (or not UNhealthy, I guess).

So, tell me some of the things that are ALWAYS on your grocery list...anything from breakfast foods, to dinner foods and the snacks in between!

Thanks in advance for the help! :smile:

Old fashioned Quaker Oats
    2% milk
    Sugar free pudding
    Fresh mushrooms (whole)
    bottles of water
    sweetner (working on fine tuning this one, brand, etc)
    frozen veggies (especially indvidual servings)
    Hint of Salt Wheat Thins
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    lots of fruits and veggies , lean meats , wheat bread , lowfat cottage cheese , low fat cheese ... i use the hungry girl 200 calorie cookbook love it so i just go thru it pick a weeks worth of recipes and go buy just from the recipes .. GOOD LUCK
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    I've always got frozen vegetables in there. I often really struggle with the time/effort required to prepare fresh veggies, and would end up resorting to fast food or pizza. I started stocking my freezer with frozen veggies and individually wrapped meats (easier to grab the right amount and easier to thaw). It makes it so much easier to eat healthy on a busy night!
  • GoingToLoseIt
    Options
    Forgot - another tip is to get smaller containers of things you like, but that aren't necessarily good for you. It's impossible to eat half a gallon of ice-cream if you only have one small pint of it in there!
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    string cheese
    100 cal english muffins
    nuts
    packages of low sugar instant oatmeal
    eggs and egg whites
    canned albocore (sp) TUNA
  • pbenison
    pbenison Posts: 102
    Options
    lots of fruits and veggies , lean meats , wheat bread , lowfat cottage cheese , low fat cheese ... i use the hungry girl 200 calorie cookbook love it so i just go thru it pick a weeks worth of recipes and go buy just from the recipes .. GOOD LUCK

That cookbook sounds interesting
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Edamame
    Tofu
    2% milk
    Veggies-spinich, squash (whatever's in season), peppers, cucumbers, sprouts, cauliflour, broccoli, diakon, cassava, plantains.
    Fruit-anything that's in season
    Grains-brown and wild rice, amaranth, teff, millet and quinoa (not all of these can be found in a local supermarket)
    Whole grain flours (wheat, spelt, soy, rice-only buy these every other month)
    Kashi cereals
    Peanut Butter-natural only
    Greek yogurt

FYI: I'm a vegetarian.
  • cassandra1220
    cassandra1220 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    ALWAYS- Chicken, shrimp, salmon, eggs, bananas, romaine, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, skim milk, seasonal fruit, and a good red wine.

SOMETIMES- filet (or other lean red meat if it is on sale), low sodium deli meat, frozen dinners (for quick lunches), and baked tortilla chips & salsa or pretzles.

* It really depends what is on sale when I go outside of my "list" :wink:
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i love this cookbook ... i bought it for myself for xmas and havent stopped using it since lol
  • AmberElaine84
    AmberElaine84 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Frozen or fresh chicken breasts, pork chops, ground turkey, 2 heads of lettuce, cucumbers, eggs, honey wheat bread, oatmeal, honey wheat pretzels, skim milk. Oh, and for a yummy treat...Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches! :)
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Hello, I always buy Flat out bread, turkey lunch meat and mexicali dip located just about any deli. I also always have veggies frozen and fresh. Tuna, whole grain pita pockets ww has a great one along with kangaroo, fiber one bars, triscuts with 2% cheese cubes, Lean Hamburger meat if you don't like turkey, lots of low fat cottge cheese and i use a small container of pineapple in it. lots of light yougart. Fresh fruit is always good. Hope this helps.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Special K cereal
    Soy milk
    Veggies... tomato, cucumber, lettuce, sweet potatoes, spinach, onion, broccoli, carrots, greens (kale, swiss chard), avacados
    Fruit.... bananas, apples, berries. oranges
    Snacks... almonds, cheese, yogurt, rice crisps
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Things that haven't been mentioned that are on my list:

Hummus
    Morning Star Pizza Burgers
    Spinach
    Dark Chocolate
  • hagan8123
    Options
    Here is the staples that I always buy:
    Fresh spinach
    Mushrooms
    Bell Pepper (Green)
    Broccoli (eaten raw)
    kohlrabi (eaten raw)
    bok choi (eaten raw)
    Celery
    Carrots (eaten raw)
    Herbs (great for flavoring any soups and especially fish)
    Hummus
    Mootopia fat free milk (12g of protein)
    Suncrystals (better than splenda)
    Tuna in pkg
    Low Fat Cottage Cheese
    93/7 Lean ground beef
    Tuna Steaks
    Salmon
    Halibut
    Shrimp
    Turkey Sausage
    Turkey Bacon
    Eggs
    Chicken Breasts
    Dehydrated Banana's
    Nuts
    Granola
    Kashi
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Low fat shredded cheese
    Skim milk
    Avocado
    Spinach
  • mbmomof4
    mbmomof4 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love multi grain Cheerios, for breakfast & in between snacks. Its has a sweet flavor to it & its really tasty! Then I eat an apple or banana with breakfast to fill me up.

For lunch - tuna with Hellmann's light mayo usually on saltines. I like the saltines for a snack also. I also eat turkey breast lunch meat, pre-packaged from Walmart is 97% fat free. The sodium is a little high in it but I can't eat tuna everyday.:tongue: I keep Wish Bone Salad Spritzers on hand also, to spray on a salad or a sandwich for flavor, there is next to no calories in it (only 15 in 10 pumps)!!!

Dinners - I try to keep it pretty normal, I have a family to feed & I really don't get down with cooking 2 dinners. So I measure & keep track of everything, & I really don't cook anything that unhealthy.I like to cook alot of chicken breast &pork tenderloins, I just spice them up differently & look for different recipes. I also keep ground turkey pattys in my freezer they are a really healthy alternative to ground beef, just be sure to get the 99% lean.

Snacks - Del Monte Fruit Chillers, they are frozen fruit pops made with real fruit(DELISH!!!)they are in the canned fruit section. I keep 100 Calorie Snack packs on hand, i can't completely give up on my snacking!! And i found Herr's Light Popcorn, 120 cals. in 3 cups!!! Its my TV time snack.

And of course WATER!!!! I drink Regular Pepsi Max (0 cals.) with dinner, it doesn't have that nasty diet taste to it!!! Coke zero isn't bad either.

I hope this helps you out!!! These are my diet staples...good luck!!!:wink:
  • tiggers
    tiggers Posts: 20
    Options
    wow I'm hungry now from reading all these great foods. I too also wonder what to get at the store. Thanks for sharing everyone
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    yogurt
    fat free milk
    100% whole wheat bread (40 calories per slice)
    mixed nuts
    olive oil
    salad veggies
    veggies that I can roast, grill, or steam (squash, zuchinni, red potatos, sweet potatoes, asparagus, etc)
    sunflower seeds (to mix in my yogurt)
    lean meats (chicken breasts, ground turkey)
    fish (especially talipia and salmon)
    deli meat (turkey and chicken breast). Avoid those with sodium nitrate.
    Fat free cheese
    fat free/calorie free I can't believe it's not butter spray
    100% whole wheat wraps
    For snacks I buy the 100 calorie snack packs or eat 2 pieces of 70% (or more) Cocoa Dark Chocolate. I stay away from milk chocolate.
  • danielleleee
    Options
    I BUY LEAN CUISINES AND BRING THEM TO WORK FOR LUNCH. EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!!

SANDWICHES.. I BUY WHEAT BREAD... TURKEY.. LETTUCE TOMATO! I PUT CHEESE AND LIGHT MAYO ON MINE IT ADDS ABOUT ANOTHER 100 CALORIES OR SO BUT IT'S A MUST FOR ME.

I HAVE FRUIT AND VEGETABLES FOR SNACKING. DON'T USE RANCH TO DIP! RANCH IS THE DEVIL! IF U CAN FIND A LOW FAT RANCH THAT TASTES GOOD THEN GO FOR IT BUT FOR THE MOST PART, JUST RAW AND PLAIN IS YOUR BEST BET.

SALADS ARE GOOD. THERE ARE PRE COOKED GRILLED CHICKEN STRIPS FOR SALADS. I PREFER ROMAINE LETTUCE BUT BUY WHATEVER LETTUCE U LIKE... AND I CUT UP CUCUMBER WITH CHERRY TOMATOS AND CHICKEN. AND THE 1 CALORIE SPRAY DRESSINGS ARE GOOD. I LIKE THE BALSAMIC VINEGARETTE

I JUST COOK HEALTHY.. I COOK WHEAT PASTAS AND BROWN RICE.. SMALL PORTIONS OF CHICKEN AND STUFF...
  • danielleleee
    Options
    Special K cereal
    Soy milk
    Veggies... tomato, cucumber, lettuce, sweet potatoes, spinach, onion, broccoli, carrots, greens (kale, swiss chard), avacados
    Fruit.... bananas, apples, berries. oranges
    Snacks... almonds, cheese, yogurt, rice crisps

IF YOU AREN'T LACTOSE... FAT FREE MILK HAS LESS CALORIES THAN SOY MILK...

AND AVOCADOS ARE PRETTY HIGH IN CALORIES