Help settle a debate between my husband and I please!

Options
twinmomtwice4
twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
My husband insists that there is no way for a woman to lose her "bat wings" (aka the fat that wobbles under your arm when you try to wave hello to the neighbors).

My biceps and shoulders are looking very sculpted but I still have my bat wings and I'm trying desperately to get them to firm up. I can feel my tricep muscle when I flex but when my arm is relaxed, I still have the wings.

So I'm looking for others who started off with "bat wings" and were able to strengthen to the point where they have completely toned, sculpted arms!! Pics would be even better!!!

I need encouragement and proof that he's wrong!!!!!! :smile:

Replies

• kasslass2
    kasslass2 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    So men can, but women can't? :-) I don't have them, but I think it really depends on whether the "excess" is actually fat, or mostly stretched skin. The skin could be an issue without surgical intervention. If it is still body fat, then you go girl! They will reduce as you reduce all over. Good luck!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    My bat wings haven't completely gone away, but they've gotten much better! I've lost about an inch on each of my upper arms and my biceps have gotten a bit bigger which means bat wings have definitely gotten smaller! It's possible! (BTW - I do a ton of tricep work.)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Depends on age, genetics and amount of skin, but the best way to prove him wrong is to prove him wrong. :happy:

I didn't have a lot of excess skin, but my arms have gotten smaller and tighter with heavy lifting. Even at about the same weight.

arms2-1.jpg
  • mtkautz
    mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If it's just extra skin, you can't lose it. If it's fat, then you need to lose fat overall and tone the area.
  • julie2719
    julie2719 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I think it is possible to lose the wings - I do not have pictures, but have worked with a personal trainer and he is very pleased with how my arms are looking - and the wings are much less significant! I think it takes a lot of tricep work and consistency. Keep at it. It was changed in time.:smile:
  • siriusalien
    Options
    I have...Overhead lifts
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    chair dips perhaps? I know that sometimes that skin just won't tighten, gravity is a mean thing.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Depends on age, genetics and amount of skin, but the best way to prove him wrong is to prove him wrong. :happy:
    :heart:
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    "Batwings" LOL

Thanks for the mental imagery!

I will never, EVER use that term at home though, for reasons of personal safety.
  • kenmunson333
    kenmunson333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't think you can lose them if you've been severely overweight. And that goes for both men and women. That extra fat that was stored there may be gone but the extra skin the body had to grow to make room for it never goes away. Seems unfair that a body will grow extra skin when needed but doesn't recycle it when it's no longer needed. As far as I know, for people who've been severely overweight (like me), the only way to get rid of such extra skin is surgically.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    firming up skin is highly effected by genetics....so there's really no way for a forum to solve this debate, you either will or you won't.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    ...dedication, hardwork, and consistency! It CAN be done. :)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    If it's just extra skin, you can't lose it. If it's fat, then you need to lose fat overall and tone the area.

This.

I think for a lot of women, no amount of "toning" is going to cause the skin to retract.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Dips and tricep extensions might help. Here's a few more ideas: http://www.nowloss.com/flabby-arm-toning-exercise.htm
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Prove him wrong girl! Get hand weights at wally world (Walmart) lol...
    Samantha
  • MarynEve
    MarynEve Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I call them "bingo wings."
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Squats and Oats
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!