What are you grocery staples??

Options
I am thinking about my next grocery shopping trip and am worried about what I am going to buy that can help me in following a healthy diet.

What do you always make sure to have in the house that is quick & healthy?

I plan on buying plenty of fresh fruits and some veggies ( I am a bit picky with vegetables )
Chicken, whole grain bread, cooking oats, honey, nuts, eggs, yogurt...
Otherwise I can't think of what to buy.

Also, I am on a very low budget so I can't go crazy buying anything fancy.. I have 3 other mouths to feed not to mention what my 3 week old needs.

Thanks in advance : )

Replies

• ssteinbring677
    ssteinbring677 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I always make sure to buy english muffins. They're quick, tasty, and only ~100 calories each! Great for breakfast. Eggs and yogurt are also always on my list.

If you're looking for healthy snacks, Triscuit Flatbreads are only 60 calories per serving size (2 crackers) and they're really tasty!

Lately I've been buying the Sargento Ultra Thin cheese slices because each slice is only 40 calories... a lot better than regular deli cheese slices.

Hope that helps!
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Beans - cheap and healthy. Canned beans are great thrown into a soup or salad - and are very inexpensive. Dried beans are even cheaper - they just take a bit more work to prepare. We use lentils alot. They cook relatively fast and are a great source of protein and fiber. One favorite way to fix them is with onions and mexican spices as a filling for tacos/burritos.
  • linz1125
    linz1125 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Bread, greek yogurt, lemons, and rice.

Bread - you can do so many things with!
    Greek yogurt - plain, and it can go in smoothies, be a topping, sauce, etc. The possibilites are endless
    Lemons - great for squeezing the juice on veggies, chicken, etc. Adds flavor.
    Rice - great side dish (as long as its brown rice)
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I buy what I can in bulk. I have 20 jars in my kitchen of various bulk grains and legumes. I try to keep my favorites stocked and rotate new things in once in a while. I also buy unsweetened soy milk, frozen berries, frozen greens, tempeh, peanut butter (this is more for my husband), various tea (to keep drinks interesting), and plenty of salsa.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    You've got a good list there!

Greek yogurt, veggies, berries, wheat bread, onions, garlic, lemons, Parmesan (or pecorino) and eggs are definitely staples of mine.

I also always have popcorn (SkinnyPop) on hand for snacking and granola bars for when I'm on the run.
  • wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, Alfs puffed wheat cereal, canned tuna. I have also gotten addicted to Vegan Boca Veggie burgers. I know it probably doesnt sound very appetizing (Im not vegan btw) but they are SO good and only 70 calories each with a hefty dose of protein. 4 in a pack, quick fix and totally worth it!
  • nicoliravioli
    Options
    Lentils! Tasty, cheap, and they cook quickly.
  • JessicaMurch5515
    JessicaMurch5515 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, Ezekiel bread, tuna, salad fixins, laughing cow cheeses, eggs, brown rice, nuts to snack on.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I always buy marinated chicken breast. Super lean steak. Greek yogurt. whole grain tortillas. lots of eggs. 30 calorie silk unsweetened almond milk. A few types of greens and raspberry vinegarette. Lots of vegies and especialyl onions and peppers. chicken and turkey sausages. variety of low fat cheeses in the lowest calorie I can find and always sliced provolone and pepperjack. Breakfast oat revolution oatmeal packetes. Sugar free jello and cool whip "free". whey powder, usually vanilla.
    fish oil, multi vitamin, glucosamine pills for after I work out.
    45 calorie whole grain bread. 89 calorie buns. 100 calorie flat wheat buns for sandwiches.
    sugar free caramel syrup as coffee flavoring (found by coffee, I refuse to drink regular creamer). I use this with the almond milk ;)
    instant coffee and whole bean coffee for either speed or an afernoon treat.

We do a lot of albacore tuna or turkey sandwiches with basil pesto on flat bread.
    we keep lots of grilled (and containers labeled) of grilled and sliced meats to toss over a salad or to toss with peppers and onions to serve on a tortilla with salsa and ff sour cream for fajitas.
    I either substitute whey shake with almond milk for lunch on non workout days or for 1/2 drink right before a workout on days I have it scheduled. Oz says you lose more fat vs muscle when you work out not on an empty stomach preferrable to have something softer.
  • JustiineMR
    JustiineMR Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I haven't found a greek yogurt I like yet & I can not handle the texture of beans!! I have no idea what legumes are as silly as that may sound, are they like a bean? Also, does brown rice taste the same as white rice?? And I love english muffins but thought they were bad for me so hearing they are only 100 calories is SO exciting!! How bad are baked potatoes for me? I have been craving me a baked potato!

Sorry for all the questions, I was THAT kid in class :blushing:
  • CuteMonkeyGal
    CuteMonkeyGal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna, rice, almond milk, fruit (bananas, oranges, apples, berries), lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, garlic, sandwich thins, peanut butter, ground turkey, and a piece of good quality chocolate.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    For the month-

- boneless skinless chicken
    - large package of stew meat or some other ground meat
    -kielbasa or similar sausage
    - steel cut oats
    -potatoes
    -butter
    -honey
    -75% dark chocolate from aldi's

Every two weeks-
    - Loaf of whole wheat bread
    -eggs
    - Shredded cheese, mozzarella and cheddar from crystal farms

Weekly
    - milk, bananas, artisan lettuce, head of cabbage, apples, 2lb baby carrots, fat free yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, blueberries, onion, green pepper

Those are basically my staples. I'll add other fruits and veggies if they're cheap, like zuchinni and pickling cucumbers and grape tomatoes and such. I allow myself an 8oz package of cheese a week to be used in cooking. And I keep trying to buy frozen yogurt and not scarf it....once every two weeks for that. I shop around a lot though, I think I spend a lot more time shopping and prepping and cooking than actually eating. Some things like peanut butter and jam last a lot longer too. And I don't really eat pasta or rice.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    It isn't the baked potato that is bad, it is the toppings! If you can get a low fat cheese and fat free sour cream, I would go for it!

I like the yocrunch fruit on the bottom greek yogurt. They come in a 4 pack and have a granola cup on top. I really like these a lot!
    They also hava a banana honey flavor that I really enjoy a LOT!

I had a hard time with greek yogurt too, but then I started using it in my whey shake after a workout and would get plain or vanilla to add vs the fruit added because I usually add fresh or frozen fruit anyways.

Someone said to get sticky rice you use a short grain rice. He recommended calrose or hinode? I also plan to start buying quinoa to up my whole grain side of things. I am the opposit of carb addicts, they aren't my thing. Nor is candy or ice cream. I like protein a lot though!
  • JustiineMR
    Options
    Oh I am a super carb addict!! I might try the yocrunch greek yogurt, depends on the price really!
    Tuna is a good idea too. I can handle a baked potato with just a little sour cream for sure.
    I haven't tried almond milk yet but I might if its priced reasonably too..
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Great ideas! I haven't found a greek yogurt I like yet & I can not handle the texture of beans!! I have no idea what legumes are as silly as that may sound, are they like a bean? Also, does brown rice taste the same as white rice?? And I love english muffins but thought they were bad for me so hearing they are only 100 calories is SO exciting!! How bad are baked potatoes for me? I have been craving me a baked potato!

Sorry for all the questions, I was THAT kid in class :blushing:

Beans belong to the family of legumes. Lentils are also classified as legumes. Do you like lentils? There are so many different types of beans and different textures but people who don't like traditional beans may still like lentils. You may also be ok with beans in different forms such as hummus? White beans (like cannelini) also melt somewhat in soup and can be used as a soup thickener. Split pea soup is a nice cold weather bean soup. They are so cheap too and a great way to live on a budget.

Brown rice doesn't take anything like white rice. It is a distinct, firmer, rice. I love it though. I also like quinoa, millet, barley, etc. Brown Jasmine and brown Basmati are two good long grain rices that you may like.
  • DargoMack
    DargoMack Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Egg whites
    Eggs
    Low Fat cheese
    Natural Peanut/Almond Butter
    Greek Yogurt
    Almond Milk
    Veggies
    Brown Rice
    Chicken Breasts - I either buy at Sam's Club in big bags or family packs at the regular store when they are on sale
    Canned beans - black beans, chili beans, garbanzo beans

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? A lot of my staples come from TJ's. Good prices, lots of variety and tons of natural choices.

Keep trying on the Greek Yogurt, I tried a bunch before I found my favorite.
  • JustiineMR
    Options
    I won't give up on greek yogurt yet I guess but I really don't like the kinds I have tried so far..
    I'm not sure if we have a Trader Joe's a little further out but I know there isn't one locally.
    I will check out lentils but I'm not sure about lentils..
    I am a picky eater when it comes to vegetables so pea soup is a HUGE no no..
    I try everything once but I am pretty stubborn if I don't like it, this is one of my toughest weight loss struggles for sure.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, yogurt, veggies,fruit, chicken, lean cuts of pork, quinoa, breakfast sandwiches, good coffee.
  • velsbree
    velsbree Posts: 69
    Options
    frozen veggies cheaper and consistent fresh in season veggies. ground turkey for meatballs/tacos/meatloaf all good for leftovers. eggbeaters, peanut buttter, beans to stretch the meat in chili. Try cooking light they have a section this month 5 meals for 50
  • JustiineMR
    Options
    Today is grocery day, anyone else have some input?