high protein breakfast that isn't eggs

Options

Replies

• cindywb
    cindywb Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently worked with a nutritionist who turned me on to the most wonderful recipe that is egg and gluten free. You take 1 scoop of high quality protein powder (I'm using Quest Vanilla Protein by Lifequest Nutraceuticals - it's a whey protein powder with stevia used for seetenere) and wisk that powder with about 1/4 cup of Trader Joe's unsweetened vanilla almond drink (it's yummy). Then add 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice and mix together. Top with 1/4 cup or so of berries and about 1 tablespoon of healthy nuts. That way you get great protien, health complex carbs, and healthy fat. Just be careful with the brown rice - too much and you blow your carb count for the day.
  • ldobson710
    Options
    Do you like oatmeal? I've been making this for breakfast for like a week now, I swear that it does NOT taste eggy - all the other ingredients cover it up really well. High protein and grain free (not my blog/not affiliated): http://carrotsncake.com/2012/01/oatmeal-minus-the-oats.html
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Bananas w/nut butter, a PB & honey sandwich, or cereal with some nuts mixed in.
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Assuming you had a high protein dinner the night before...

Leftovers.

Don't feel like you have to have traditional breakfast food just because you're eating at the traditional breakfast time of day.
    That's probably the best plan for me. I eat breakfast at work during the week (I keep a box of glutenfreeda oatmeal in the office and grab a piece of fruit on my way out the door, but I feel like that's way too unbalanced in terms of carbs:fat:protein) so being able to grab and go with left overs sounds pretty good. I guess I am just too attached to breakfast foods. I also read somewhere (probably Fitbie on MSN as that's where I read most "health & fitness" articles) that said you should avoid high sodium foods for breakfast and stick with fruit and other "sweeter" breakfast options like yogurt and oatmeal. Of course, if I lived and died by every article I ever read...well... I'd probably go crazy since they're so conflicting!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions!
  • MzNeecie
    MzNeecie Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is a good one for me!
  • bonogul
    bonogul Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    i agree.... left over steak :) what about them apples
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds
    What are those? Like Chia pet seeds??? I've seriously never heard of that before! :smile:
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast. Leftover meat or veggies from dinner the night before, protein shake, tuna or chicken salad, lunchmeat....
  • Ali155
    Ali155 Posts: 30
    Options
    Quinoa made into something breakfast-like could work.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    For protein in my non-egg breakfasts, I put Greek yogurt in my oatmeal, along with fresh fruit, some walnuts, honey and cinnamon. Tastes like dessert. Trader Joe's 2% plain Greek yogurt has 24g of protein in a cup - I usually use 1/4 to 1/2 cup in my oatmeal.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Higher protein cereal and milk
    High protein bagel with some ham and cheese
    Protein shake or bar
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast. Leftover meat or veggies from dinner the night before, protein shake, tuna or chicken salad, lunchmeat....

This too. Why does "breakfast" have to be "breakfast"? If you can have "breakfast for dinner" then you can have "dinner for breakfast"
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    BACON!!!!!
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt....I hear refrigerator oatmeal is good. I just ordered Chia seeds so I can try my hand at making it. Switch to a different kind of milk. Try incorporating more nuts. You could try a protein shake, or a bar if you would prefer. Special KI has a special protein line...I dont know how good it is. Cottage cheese....or make those cottage cheese pancakes (someone will have a recipe somewhere, I have yet to try them). I've eaten salmon for breakfast...so I'm not really the person to ask as I don't eat traditional breakfast foods.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds
    What are those? Like Chia pet seeds??? I've seriously never heard of that before! :smile:

Chia-Seeds.4ac3dac5.jpg

Hehe xD That's what I thought too when I first heard their name.
    I get mine from the bulk bins at a local health food store, but many brands sell them per bag.
    One of the major benefits is that the seeds are considered a 'complete' protein.. and I love that they provide omega3 (I'm a vegetarian, and hate eggs too! I drink rice milk, but soy is a good option for protein ..The only non-vegan product I still enjoy is cheese!)

Here's an article on some of the benefits of chia seeds:
    http://www.mychiaseeds.com/Articles/Top10ChiaBenefits.html

Edited to add:
    A lot of people put them in drinks and bake with them, as they somewhat 'gel' in liquid.
    I don't find that they gel so much in my cereal, but I mix them with hearty granola and wheat groats, so lots of crunch. :-)
  • apnelken
    apnelken Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is super high protein-- like 15g for half a cup. I like to mix in fruit (apples, peaches, berries), or sometimes a bit of cereal or granola if I'm feeling indulgent. It's also good plain-- you can even put in a dash of jam or honey if you want something sweet. I get the 1% milkfat kind instead of fat free because it tastes a lot richer and yummier without adding any calories and only minimal fat.
  • hersheyskiss
    Options
    bump
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, protein shake, ham or chicken, bacon!
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Could also try tofu in your breakfast burrito.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with berries and a drizzle of honey
    kefir or Greek yogurt smoothie
    cottage cheese with fruit
    steel cut oats with added nut butter