Anyone have Chickens in their back yard?

Options
We are debating getting chicken coop in our back yard. There seems to be alot of upfront cost, but the eggs are soo good. Anyone have any ideas.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I wish! When hubby and I were first married we rented a little place out in the middle of a huge ranch. Cheap rent and they said do whatever you want. So we turned a section of the barn into a chicken coop and got ourselves 20 chicks. Absolutely loved having them - fun to watch, wonderful eggs, devoured our kitchen scraps.

Now we live in the city and would love to have a little coop (not going for 20 hens in the city), but just haven't done it. There are lots of sites out there with plans for small backyard coops. I see them on Pinterest all the time.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I alway tease my husband about doing this. They just made it legal here in the city. I'm sure my neighbors would freak out! Plus what happens when the weather turns subzero? Would I need a heated coop for the chickens? Ugh! Sounds like a lot of hassle for some yummy eggs. :wink:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I don't think any neighbors would complain as long as you don't have a rooster! :smile: Heck, all my neighbors' dogs (mine too) make way more noise than chickens would. And if you do have grouchy neighbors, take 'em some fresh eggs. LOL

As far as cold temps, as long as they have a place to get inside, I think they would be ok. Don't know for sure, as I live in California and we rarely get below freezing here. Ours just went into the coop at night and we closed the door - no heat or heat lamps (once they were grown, of course the new chicks needed a heat lamp, and we kept them in the house in a little plastic swimming pool. Worked great!
  • Timby1
    Timby1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I will be jealous if you get chickens. I'd love to, but we don't own our home, so not in the future for us.
  • begreenbe
    begreenbe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I found a cheap coop online. Now to apply for the town permit