Butternut squash recipes?

princesspurple
princesspurple Posts: 688
edited September 20 in Recipes
I like to make a butternut sqaush 'ravioli' , though I used wontons for the wrap. I just use butternut sqash, a little sour cream, and some parmesean cheese and I top it w/ a homemade maple butter sauce. Not the highest in calories, but not the lowest either. Just looking for some ideas!

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    I just toss it with S&P and some olive oil and bake. Tastes like sweet potato fries.
  • a recipe i like.. is i dice 1 or 2 of thema nd i dice 2 or 3 zuchini's also.. and i fry them in a pan with a little oil.. then i pour in a can of tomato sauce and some water and let it marinate for 20 or 30 minutes until the veggies are falling apart. if u like spicy you can add jalapeno or serano with some cayenne pepper... and i eat that with spanish rice. i just cook white rice (im sure you can use brown rice instead) ...i dice up half an onion and fry it in a pan, i meausre 1 cup rice and brown it, and i pour a can of tomato sauce (or blend a tomato) and measure it in a measuring cup and fill the rest up with water bringing it to 2 cups.. and cook for 15-20 minutes.
    this is one of my faaaavorite dishes.
    for my husband i fry some chicken legs and give him some tortillas.. for me ijust eat the rice and veggies and it's plenty of food.
    for the chicken legs i get them with the skin on and marinate in lemon juice and whatever seasonings you want. i usually use lawrys... but i dont think the chicken is too healthy thats why i skip it. but my husbands skinny and not on a diet.
  • shariguymon
    shariguymon Posts: 245 Member
    I have an original recipe which I developed that is super delicious. peel and cube butternut squash; steam or boil until tender; peel and steam sliced apples ( I just put them in the top of the squash a little before it is done and put the lid on). Drain. ( Make sure it is well drained by using a colander). In a shallow baking pan layer drained squash, apples, dot with butter, sprinkle lightly with brown sugar and shelled pine nuts ( sometimes called pignolias). Repeat and make one more layer of each. Bake in a 350 degree oven until all is melted together, and heated through, about 30 minutes. The pine nuts add a unique flavor. The butter and sugar are light. I make this for a special potluck which is held annually. Whenever I want to make something different, I have to still bring this one, as everyone loves it so much and request that I bring it. I have on occasion added drained crushed pineapple if I didn't have apples, but the apples are what I prefer.

Try it, I think you will like it! This is not an exact measurement recipe!:bigsmile:
  • I like to make a butternut sqaush 'ravioli' , though I used wontons for the wrap. I just use butternut sqash, a little sour cream, and some parmesean cheese and I top it w/ a homemade maple butter sauce. Not the highest in calories, but not the lowest either. Just looking for some ideas!

yum that sounds good! can you send me the complete recipe? i had that out at some place one time and i realy wanted to try and make it at home...
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Here are two of my favorite recipe with butternut squash (both in the slow cooker):

Squash and Apple Bisque
    Serves 8

Ingredients
    1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (2 pounds)
    1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
    2 cups applesauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 cup sour cream

Direction
    1. Mix all ingredients except the sour cream in a 31/2 to 6 quart slow cooker.
    2. Cover and cook on low heating 8 to 10 hours (or on a high heat setting for 3 to 5 hours) or until squash is tender.
    3. Place one third to one half of the mixture at a time in a blender or food processor, cover and blend on high speed until smooth. Return mixture to the slow cooker.
    4. Stir in the sour cream. Cover and cook on a low heat setting for 15 minutes or until the soup is hot. Stir.
    5. Garnish each serving with a dollop of sour cream or unflavoured natural yoghurt (preferably Greek yoghurt), and swirl it into the soup with the tip of a knife.

All this for under 200 calories a serving. It's in the database as Catherine's Homemade - Recipezaar - Squash and Apple Bisque.

Crockpot Moroccan Lentil Stew
    6 servings

Ingredients
    1 cup dried lentils, sorted and rinsed
    1 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
    10 small new red potatoes, cubed
    1 onion, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    2 (14 oz.) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
    1 Tbsp. curry powder
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
    2 cups water

Directions
    Combine all ingredients in a 3-4 quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours until lentils, squash, and potatoes are tender when tested with knife.

Very filling and all for under 110 calories per serving. It's in the database as Homemade - Catherine's Moroccan Lentil Stew.

Enjoy!!!
  • Yummy! They all sound so good...thank you for the ideas...I am going to have to try them all!
    ncocci989 ....I do not measure anything, I just make it to taste....I really love experimenting w/ food. I think I might make one of them tonight!
This discussion has been closed.