Does caffeine help or hinder weight loss?

Options
I have been drinking diet coke to replace the coke I used to drink and was wondering about the effects of caffeine on weight loss.
Can anybody offer some insight?

Replies

• ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Caffeine can aid in keeping your metabolism high. But you might want to consider where you are getting your caffeine from. I wouldn't recommend soda. Look at a supplement shop for caffeine powder. I use it before workouts and whenever I need a pick-me-up. and I also use less than the recommended dosage.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Caffeine is an appetite stimulant, so it may lead to more unnecessary eating and cravings. Also, withdrawal symptoms from caffeine can be mistaken for hunger.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The effect of caffeine, green tea and tyrosine on thermogenesis and energy intake. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (2009)

http://www.nature.com/ejcn/journal/v63/n1/abs/1602901a.html

thermogenesis.gif
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Inb4apertamewillkillyou
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's a balanced part of your ECA stack. >__>
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Caffeine helps me stay awake. Sleeping all day doesn't burn very many calories.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You talked about caffiene, without talking about diet coke. Diet Coke is the devil. You will lose ten lbs just by stopping that filthy habit. Effects of diet coke have been published a lot. Just Google it.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is an appetite stimulant, so it may lead to more unnecessary eating and cravings. Also, withdrawal symptoms from caffeine can be mistaken for hunger.

Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants are usually appetite suppressants. Black coffee or pretty much any unsweetened caffeinated beverage is a great appetite suppressant. Sweet-tasting ones seem to increase cravings (at least for me), but unsweetened ones do not. Your mileage may vary, but caffeine and other stimulants are used very frequently in diet pills to suppress appetite.

Withdrawal symptoms from caffeine can be mistaken for many things, including a horde of zombies eating your brains out with a dull spoon (the withdrawal headaches can be HORRIBLE!), but "hunger" is not generally one of them.
  • MSimm62385
    MSimm62385 Posts: 227
    Options
    Black coffee is fantastic.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You talked about caffiene, without talking about diet coke. Diet Coke is the devil. You will lose ten lbs just by stopping that filthy habit. Effects of diet coke have been published a lot. Just Google it.

This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    caffeine = stimulant = temporarily causes a slight metabolism increase
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options

This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif

I'm with you!

Caffeine is the main ingredient in most fat burners, because as Acg posted up there, caffeine is GOOOOD.

Some people object to diet coke, but I just object to their objections.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I drink about 4 cups of strong coffee a day and it hasn't stopped me losing weight! I think a lot of diet pills have caffeine in them, so I guess it must do something.

I don't have sugar in coffee, and I have milk in it which has protein in it, so it's not a bad thing!
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Diet soda will not sabotage your weight-loss efforts. At least, not this habit alone. This good and clear article demystifies the question : http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/food-weight-loss/ask-diet-doctor-can-diet-soda-make-you-fat

Also, as mentioned earlier, caffeine helps to boost your metabolism. I honestly wouldn't worry about this consumption, as long as it does not exceed the prescribed amount. :drinker:
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    one of things I have noticed is that its an appetite suppresent for me (I only drink tea, with 1% milk and one tablespoon of sugar)

It gives a little pick me up as well.

I am not sure about metabolism but it does walk me up a bit and it allowa me to go 3-4 hours without eating again w/o snacking.

Also I typically only drink one cup ONCE a day.
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options

When I put diet coke in my food log, it's all zeros - calories, carbs, etc. The only thing I am getting is caffeine. I would agree with you about regular coke and dropping ten pounds but why would diet coke prevent weight loss? From the responses here, it might aid weight loss slightly.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options

This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif

I'm with you!

Caffeine is the main ingredient in most fat burners, because as Acg posted up there, caffeine is GOOOOD.

Me too. I wish the Diet Coke objectors would just be honest with us and say, "Look, I ahbor anything that's made of phony, processed ingredients, and I wish that the stuff had never been invented. If it were up to me, all diet soft drinks would be illegal." But don't try to advance your agenda with some B.S. about how drinking a non-caloric beverage will make you gain weight. I mean, seriously. :laugh:
  • smhammons
    smhammons Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love my Coffee:drinker:
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    there are studies that show it increases cortisol levels. The study I found on a quick google search was a double blind (good) but only a sample size of 48.

http://1.usa.gov/SdXCli

The way I look at it, if one is exercising, then small elevations of cortisol shouldn't matter.

I am a proponent of caffeine.
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options

This again? Really?

RollingEyesGIF.gif

I'm with you guys, I lost a bit of weight and used caffein to get me through it.

I'm with you!

Me too. I wish the Diet Coke objectors would just be honest with us and say, "Look, I ahbor anything that's made of phony, processed ingredients, and I wish that the stuff had never been invented. If it were up to me, all diet soft drinks would be illegal." But don't try to advance your agenda with some B.S. about how drinking a non-caloric beverage will make you gain weight. I mean, seriously. :laugh: