How to become a morning exerciser?!?

Options

Replies

• HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    How do you become a morning exerciser??

Honestly, you suck it up when the alarm goes off and just get out of bed. It's not easy. Many times in the past I have wanted to wake up early and exercise only to hit the snooze and go back to sleep. If you aren't a morning person, then you really have to want it to become one. What I mean is you really have to want to achieve your goals. Obviously if you are trying to become a morning exerciser it is probably because you don't have time in the rest of your day to exercise regularly. I switched my exercises to the morning to ensure I would get them in. Those first few weeks of getting up at 5am were rough. But as time went by, I really started to enjoy my mornings. Now with my new workout schedule, I am up at 3am three times a week and heading to the gym. I look forward to my workouts and I never complain about getting up early to do them.

Some tips to help make the transition:
    *Get out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off.
    *Turn on the light in the bedroom or living room so your body stops producing sleeptime hormones.
    *Have a cold glass of water or anything else that will wake you up.
    *Find an exercise you enjoy doing. If you actually want to do the activity, then waking up early won't seem like such a chore.
    *Go to bed early enough so you aren't overly tired when its time to wake up.

I agree. I had to change to be a morning exerciser and I mean an EARLY morning exerciser because of my job. I had to leave for work by quarter to 6 b/c I had to drive into the city. Some people got gym memberships through work and worked out after work or at lunch however lunchtime didn't work for me because I'm a girl and I'm sorry I didn't have 2 hour lunches and after work didn't work b/c I couldn't count on getting done with work before 7 or 8pm during certain cycles.

Anyway, I started by making time for 30 minute workouts every morning; leaving enough time to get a shower and dressed, but packing my breakfast, snacks, and lunch the night before. Oh, you HAVE to get to bed early enough (I found I had to at least get 7 1/2 hours of sleep to survive) and Yes, when the alarm goes off, just get up. I even started sleeping in my workout clothes to make sure I'd get up. Too dark outside to run? Not a problem, we lived in the burbs with plenty of street lamps and paths, I wore a headlamp (which you can purchase at a sports store), and my husband came with me on his bike also equipped with lights). Actually, I have found my fastest runs were in the morning when it was cool and crisp.

Take it easy to start and pump it up as you get used to getting up. Oh it never hurts to have a pet that will get used to your schedule and will refuse to let you slip. :) My cat would never let me sleep in...not even on weekends. Loved him to death and really miss him since he passed away last year. My new kitten doesn't demand I get up immediately when my alarm goes off...I really have to force myself up on my own, but well...I've been doing it for years now, so I'm used to it at this point.

Good Luck! You do what you gotta do!!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    The biggest secret to being a morning person: Go to bed earlier.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

So my question is....are you a morning exerciser? Are you naturally that way or did you have to become one because of your schedule? How do you do it? It is just sooo easy to hit the snooze button and say you will do it after work and then after work it is just sooo hard to get moving! I need help because I desperately want to be a morning exerciser at least 3-4 times a week so I can make sure I get my runs in! I know I just have to get up and do it but any help or motivation will be appreciated.

Wish me luck...my alarm will be set for 1 hour earlier then usual tomorrow.

Yes, I'm a morning exerciser.

No, I'm not naturally that way. In the afternoon/evening, I'm too prone to make excuses or be legitimately too tired/busy for it.

I do it by laying out my clothes & bag the night before, then set my alarm early, get up, and go. I've tried to make it just "what I do" and not a choice to be made every morning.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    i wake up with the birds. I like to chase them.
  • DryFlyGirl77
    DryFlyGirl77 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump for motivation!
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Yep. I get my runs in before the heat sets in, and later in the year, I'll do them as early as possible. I like to get it out of the way and get the endorphin rush, it powers me through the rest of my active day. As for eating first, not usually. If anything, a banana and some protein when I get back :drinker:
  • Skych123
    Skych123 Posts: 96
    Options
    in on this crew! Awesome tips/etc - Going to actually try this tomorrow rather than dealing with the gym crowds after work :grumble:
  • Tigg1011
    Tigg1011 Posts: 146
    Options
    I JUST started working out in the morning and am currently on my fourth week of doing so. The first week is hell, but you feel SO much better knowing its done and over with and you can go about your day not having to worry about working out when you get home from work! That alone is a huge relief. They say it takes about 2 weeks for your body to adjust to waking up and getting ready for a workout, and they are right, it does get easier week to week, so just stay strong! If you want it bad enough, you'll do it, and you feel like you've accomplished so much already and you havent even gone to work yet lol, now thats a good feeling!
  • CoryBe
    CoryBe Posts: 13
    Options
    I'd like to do this too! I think it would be more likely that I'd get it done. There are only so many hours in the day. I wish I needed less sleep. :)
  • tstigers68
    Options
    Hey, I am a morning exerciser, have been for quite some time. However, when I started I was not. My delimma was always going to bed early enough to get the sleep I needed, I resolved that with Tylenol PM. I did this for two weeks and eventually I no longer needed it and now I rarely need my alarm clock to get up at 4am.

Good Luck, keep moving!!!
  • larrybartlett
    Options
    Morning person. Set alarm at 5:30 AM. I put on a cap, I don't shave, or even brush my teeth, I don't eat breakfast, nor drink water. I get out of the house, my personal best is 3 mins. My two dogs follow me. They are awake. I walk a hilly 5 miles, used to take me 108 minutes, now I do it in 92 mins, only weather that has stopped me as an excuse? Lightening in the area. When I come back, hungry, I feed the dogs, I drink water, take a shower, then I have 300 calories max for Sunrise meal. My Meals are labeled "Sunrise", "Noon", "Sunset", and "9:00 PM if you are Under 1,200 calories."
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to be a morning exerciser and have been debating this for so long.

Sometimes I set my alarm early and usually I just say nah, too tired, will be too tired for work, and I go to sleep until the latest minute possible.

I am bumping this for tips :)
  • MissFuchsia
    MissFuchsia Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I set my alarm an hour earlier on workout days. I workout at home (P90X) so get everything ready the night before. I'll bring whatever equipment I need into the living the night before. I'm not naturally a morning but after a few weeks it does get easier. I feel better getting done early. I'm always too tired later on in the day.
  • PixiePickle
    PixiePickle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Right!! This has motivated me. I am the furthest from a morning person ever!!! I could easily sleep to 9am every day (later at weekends). So it's going to be my aim to change my teenage sleep patterns that I have had for more than 20 years in September! :blushing:
    I wold start now but I've got a bit of hectic weekend at a rock festival to get through first :drinker: :smokin:

Thanks x
  • MeeshKB
    MeeshKB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have just recently developed a successful habit of morning exercise. I had tried it oodles of times before, but it didn't last long.

I think this time I am just more committed to making this work. I know there is no other time that I can consistently get it done (I have toddlers and a full time job), so the AM is it. Like some of the others here, I have everything ready the night before, and get to bed in good time. Then when the alarm goes off I just get up, get myself dressed etc., grab a quick bite and hit the road for the gym.

It feels SO good to get it done early. I think I'm getting a little addicted to that feeling. :-)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    it is difficult at first, but once you've done it a few times and it's all done by 7am you realise it's a great start to the day to have it done earlier and for me it clears my head fans makes the day easier to handle... once you know that it becomes easier to do it. it did for me anyway! x
  • littlejobo120
    littlejobo120 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Having read this thread I have decided to take the plunge and set the alarm early tomorrow. I've been thinking about it for a while and with the weather not being too bad here it's the perfect opportunity! Thanks for the push guys!
  • Lahdidahdah
    Options
    The one way that I became a morning exerciser was when I hired a trainer. Because I wouldn't go to the gym on my own in the morning, knowing he was there meant I couldn't just skip the gym. It provided a measure of accountability.
    If you don't want a trainer, just find a running buddy who will keep you honest. You don't want them running early all alone do you?
  • prettygirlhoward
    prettygirlhoward Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    Go to bed early the previous day and set a very annoying alarm that will tick you off enough so that you can't sleep anymore and have to get up. Put it across the room and in a place where you have to turn on the light to get to it lol take a hot shower for ten minutes and blast loud workout music.