How to jog properly?

Options
I've always wanted to jog but I tend to get shin splints, when I try. I've been walking about 4 miles a day since June and have lost over 20 pounds. I decided I wanted to try my hand at jogging again. I walk a little then I jog a lap, etc. But I noticed yesterday that my shins were beginning to hurt a little again. Is that normal? What am I doing wrong?

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    It may be your shoes. I recommend going to a running shoe store. They can do a gait analysis and fit you with a proper shoe. Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Could be your shoes, or just trying to do too much too soon? I've always been a walker - could walk, and walk fast, all day long. Running was another story. I used the c25K program - builds you up slowly and worked great for me!
  • Valissa47
    Valissa47 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    What is the best running shoe in your opinion?
  • Kjngrrl
    Kjngrrl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try this...
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--4615-0,00.html
    for advice on finding the right running shoe for you.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It may be your shoes. I recommend going to a running shoe store. They can do a gait analysis and fit you with a proper shoe. Good luck!

Talk to a pro for sure. My own recommendation though, I have both minimalist Nike Free Run and Barefoot Vibram 5-fingers. The Nike's were a good segway, but I still got splints. I'd say you likely need to head towards a minimalist shoe. Go to a store and try on everything. No hyperbole, literally everything. You will know what feels horrible and what feels comfortable.
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options
    Sounds like a shoe issue. Go to a running store and get fitted.
  • susjan
    susjan Posts: 105
    Options

Everyone is different. I have Asics but they may not be right for you or the next person. Best thing I ever did, find the running store guy who let me try on 25 pairs of sneakers until I found the ones that worked best for me.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Might just be your running form, there is another thread started on that
  • Amh32290
    Amh32290 Posts: 65
    Options
    Try doing stretches for your legs before and after you jog and see if that helps, if not then invest in some nice running shoes.
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I was wearing asics for the longest time because it seemed that runner's loved their asics! I was always in pain. I got fitted... I wear adidas adistars.. I have had no problems since! You need to get fitted!
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My friend used to get shin splints really badly whenever she did the slightest running. she went to a physiotherapist and they advised some massaging exercises on your shins as well as special insoles. cant remember all the details, my apologies! but if you can go see one, might be worth a shot :) and as a runner, i definitely would! runnings awesome :)
  • jessejames3ball
    Options
    I have the same problem, due mainly to being a heel striker. From what I understand anyway.
  • Serephan
    Serephan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I only know this anecdotally, but before you run, try slow, strong foot taps with full range of motion for 15-20 seconds per foot followed by fast foot taps for another 15-20 seconds. In cross country in Jr High we'd run 3-5 mi/day on nothing but concrete and almost no one ever got shin splints. Might be worth a shot - what are you really hurting in the end? :)
  • mccrockl
    mccrockl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a horrible time with shin splints.

I have heard that the problem is common with people who land more on their heels than the balls of their feet and that working on your jogging form can help.

My doctor gave me walking exercises (like walking on my toes for 20 ft then on my heels for 20ft). He also told me to start by jogging shorter distances and to build it up slowly. A physical trainer once told me to put a towel on the floor and scrunch it up with my toes as an exercise to build up the appropriate muscle. The exercises never seemed to make much of a difference for me.

And then, of course, like other people suggested, I have tried different shoes.

My solution has become that running cannot be a primary workout for me. I try to do it no more than twice a week. Even if I feel like I can jog more, I tend to try to stop where my shins will be happy.

Anyway, I am not a doctor (clearly :) ) and don't really know how accurate I might be, but I thought I would pass on my accumulated "knowledge" (or perhaps "suggestions" would be more accurate).
  • bgood24
    bgood24 Posts: 9
    Options
    Make sure that you get fitted for proper running shoes.

Avoid a 'heel strike'. Try to just use the balls of your feet (picture yourself running barefoot on concrete as an example- that is actually the proper way to run).

Build up your muscles in your legs doing proper squats, lunges, calf raises, deadlifts.
  • paperducks
    Options
    I love Asics as well. They're light weight and fit to the contours of your feet. Stay away from those toning shoes, especially if you're jogging.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Are you properly stretching your anterior tibialis after each run/jog?

http://walking.about.com/od/stretching/a/shinstretch.htm
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options

The one that best fits/supports your foot and gait.
    There are so many and what may work for other's might not work for you.

I loved New Balance but once i was given a gait analysis/foot measurements I realized that they were doing me more harm than good.
    I now have Asics and LOVE them... And no more shin splints for me.
  • Rseguin80
    Options
    I just got fitted for a running shoe. It is a PUMA running shoe. I wasn't too sure at first but they are real light and feel great. They are the Biostability shoes and I recommend them
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Do you have low arches (flat feet)? I struggled with shin splints my entire life. I would get them even after running just a short distance. A year and half ago I stumbled across a random article in a fitness magazine about shin splints and it listed low arches/flat feet as a major cause of shin splints. It turns out that those of us with this physical trait over-pronate (our feet turn in) when we run which puts extra stress on the shins and causes shin splints.

If you have low arches look into getting motion control shoes. These are made to help offset over-pronation and consequently, shin splints. After reading this article I decided to give the motion control shoes a try. They cost a little more than regular running shoes - but TOTALLY worth the invesment if this is your issue. I started running in May of last year. I ran my first 5K in August and my first 1/2 marathon in October. This October I will run my third 1/2 marathon.

Since deciding that I LOVE running and want to keep doing it forever, I have gone to a podiatrist and gotten orthotics for my shoes. The motion control shoes worked well for 5K and 10K runs but getting up to the 1/2 marathon level was a bit too much for my extra flat feet and for me it was worth the extra investment in the orthotics so I could continue to run long distances.