Arctic zero a hoax? On Today show?

Options
Who all saw this? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Arctic Zero and a MFP friend said on Today show it is way higher in calories?? I can't find it anywhere when I google. Is this true??? Who saw this??

Replies

• Monnietron
    Monnietron Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    If the Today show has a website, it should be there, it was crazy! Like 50% more calories than listed or something!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Who all saw this? I LOVE LOVE LOVE Arctic Zero and a MFP friend said on Today show it is way higher in calories?? I can't find it anywhere when I google. Is this true??? Who saw this??

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/48596412/ns/today-today_rossen_reports/t/rossen-reports-can-you-believe-diet-frozen-dessert-labels/

There are two posts on this on the first page of the Food and Nutrition section already.

Also: This doesn't make anything a hoax. A group measured the calorie intake of various frozen ice creams and found that they were different than the listed calorie intake.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    RIGHT....sorry...I didn't mean to use the word hoax. First word that came to mind when posting on my phone. LOL. I'm so disappointed. I used to eat the chocolate peanut butter many times a week. the whole pint. Guilt free. This is such a massive bummer. I can't even figure out the numbers. What's 68% of 150??
  • gjriddle
    gjriddle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    RIGHT....sorry...I didn't mean to use the word hoax. First word that came to mind when posting on my phone. LOL. I'm so disappointed. I used to eat the chocolate peanut butter many times a week. the whole pint. Guilt free. This is such a massive bummer. I can't even figure out the numbers. What's 68% of 150??

Oh, this is making me so sad. :-( They say in the article that Arctic Zero has 68% more calories? That means instead of 150 cals, it has up to 252 cals? Ahhhhh! NOT COOL.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options

Dunno what Arctic zero is - but if it seems too good to be true, it is!!
    68% of 150 = 150x0.68 = 102
  • endjl
    endjl Posts: 28
    Options
    Sad. I just bought my first artic zero pint over the weekend. Fortunately, I only took a taste and didin't eat the entire thing.

Yup, too good to be true. I'll probably buy skinny cow's truffle cookies n' cream now. lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Whether true or not, 250 odd calories for a pint, is still around 1/4 or less of what you would get in a pint of Ben and Jerry's.
    We don't get Arctic Zero here in the Uk, sadly, or anything even close in terms of calories.
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Whether true or not, 250 odd calories for a pint, is still around 1/4 or less of what you would get in a pint of Ben and Jerry's.
    We don't get Arctic Zero here in the Uk, sadly, or anything even close in terms of calories.
    There is actually something called a 'vanilla iced dessert', can't remember what the name is... sweet freedom, maybe? That's available in some sainsburys & has fewer than 400 cals for the whole pot? It's pretty good and way less than icecream.
  • kjlindsey
    Options
    just did the math it's 102 more calories per pint
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Oh, this is making me so sad. :-( They say in the article that Arctic Zero has 68% more calories? That means instead of 150 cals, it has up to 252 cals? Ahhhhh! NOT COOL.

This doesn't surprise me. False advertising on their packaging.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Just read the article. Hmmm... now its not just about how many calories are actually in it as it is how i was lied to. Bye artic ice cream!
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I bought a pint of this stuff, took two bites, and tossed it out. Vile, vile stuff. I'd much rather find room to fit in 300 calories of real, good ice cream or gelato, than waste any amount of calories on this Arctic Zero poo.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Dunno what Arctic zero is - but if it seems too good to be true, it is!!
    68% of 150 = 150x0.68 = 102

68% MORE than the listed 150 = 252
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    How can you eat this stuff? It tastes like icy cardboard....
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero shared their lab results in an update to the story: http://www.arcticzero.com/EMSL-Results.php

Vanilla Maple came in at 34 and 36 calories per serving, or less than 150 calories per pint. Even if it is a bit more, I'm okay with that. As someone else said, it's still way better than other things...and those other things are probably also using the 20% wiggle room on their labels.

When I first tried this, I stayed away from Vanilla Maple because it didn't sound great. And I didn't like the flavors I bought. Then I read reviews, and everyone seemed to agree that Vanilla Maple is the best flavor. So i gave it a try.

Now I LOVE both the plain chocolate and vanilla maple. I'll take fresh strawberries splashed with almond extract, put either Arctic Zero flavor on top, then nuts and even whipped cream for a pretty low-cal indulgence. I just had vanilla maple with some canned crushed pineapple and nuts too. The chocolate I've also had just plain with the almond extract mixed in. No matter how you eat it, it's important to let it sit out and soften. Then it gets a little bit creamy vs being icy right out of the freezer.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Hiland Dairy's frozen fruit sherbet. Cheap and only around 100-120 calories per 1/2 cup serving...oh, and it's tasty. I'm guessing the same is probably true for most fruit sherbet's and now that spring is, well, springing they tend to really hit the spot.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Don't know if its a hoax...but that stuff is disgusting. Total waste of money.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Try sorbet. It's much better...
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Artic zero = yuck
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for you loss....!!!!!???

Pretty crappy to be that misled....I wonder if they will be fined or punished....hmmm. Anyway back to to offer my 2 cents, would it be a useable alternative for Acrtic Zero lovers to try Sorbet or Gelato style icy treats.

As we don't have the product here in Aussie as far as I know....the Skinny Cow range is here but the long list of additives was a bit off putting. Plus it didn't really do it for me, rather have old-style.

Another thought too would frozen low-fat yoghurts work???? Also, for FWIW have any lovers of icy treats had a go at using a home ice cream maker.....They went over WELL, especially with kids/teenagers. Mine came with a recipe book and online there a some truly droolworthy ideas....plus you can play with adding a boozed up version for the grown-ups and tweak sugar levels.

Hope this helps.