Help settle a debate between my husband and I please!

Options
2»

Replies

• rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Love your "Batwings" and get a Batmobile to go with them.

be-yourself-unless-you-can-be-batman_thumb.jpg
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Feisty_Red
    Feisty_Red Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Another good term for them..is Bingo arms..
    lol ;)

I'm trying...we will see how it goes! :heart:
  • dlf820
    dlf820 Posts: 20
    Options
    I am a big believer that it's mostly about genetics!!! You know the girlfriends that had 2 or 3 or 4 kids and yet somehow their stomachs are flat and muscular??? I know you must have at least one of those lucky girlfriends!

Unfortunately, my genetics have sentenced me to lifetime of skin that will never "snap back". I've had two babies, got the stretch marks and now that belly skin will always be a little droopy. Now, the muscles can and do get strong underneath, but the skin is just not as elastic as some people. You are the only one who knows how elastic your skin is, maybe you are one of the lucky ones!

P.S. My four other sisters are exactly the same way (that is why I believe it is genetic). I have one sister that lost almost 100 pounds and her stomach was rock hard, but the skin on top was sagging and loose. She had a tummy tuck and now her stomach is fantastic!! Her arms definitely got small but never sculpted.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I was doing pushups and lifting heavy stuff at my old job all the time my arms started to firm up but the "batwings" never truly went away. I agree that it probably has something to do with genetics and all that.
  • np11073
    np11073 Posts: 30
    Options
    I agree that it depends upon age, genetics and amount of weight lost. Increasing muscle tone will help somewhat, but the bad news is that without plastic surgery to remove the excess skin, the wings will remain. Sorry....he is more correct than you were hoping.:frown:
  • DeniseBarone
    DeniseBarone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    He's not! LOL!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure he is wrong, depending on how you define "bat wings". I noticed even female Olympic athletes have a little wobble when their arm is raised and relaxed. But I wouldn't say they have bat wings. It's just the difference between flexing and not flexing.
  • da1128
    da1128 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    LorinaLynn, you look fabulous! Very nicely toned.

Alas, I'm a gravity and age victim even though I won four back to back female weightlifting championships in my early 50's. (Left the 20 somethings in the dust!) Sadly, I thought I would never have wrinkled knees and upper arms until I was, oh, say 75 or so, but SOMETHING HAPPENED and I am dimpled! :ohwell:

Aside from surgery, I'm a lost cause, but I'm not about to shell out the big bucks to be nip, tucked, and tightened. I'll just wear flattering clothes to cover the sins.

But yeah, I think if you're still young and have good elasticity in your skin, you can whack the bats!
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Before you give-in and say they'll never go away, make sure you have muscle there and you've given it your all. Look at chair dips...how many are you doing? have you added weights to build the muscle underneath....

Chair dips....both feet on the ground straight legs.....then one leg up...then both legs on another bench...then add some weight (obviously not in the same workout)
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    IMO...It would depend on how much bodyfat you dropped off of your arms and age matters also...as we age the skin is not as elastic anymore.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    around where i live they are called bingo wings! just picture all the older women at bingo raising their arms above their heads and yelling BINGO. I myself have a long way to go before I can consider them tightened enough that they don't flap anymore but they have improved. good luck to you in your quest to prove hubby wrong
  • joyzy
    joyzy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I started at 270. After 6 months, I was down to ~200 and I started strength training.

These pictures are after 12 weeks of strength training (plus running my butt off), during those 12 weeks going from 195-178lbs.

20120204ARMScopy-1.jpg

ETA: This is from today, 6 months into strength training, at 170lbs now.
    arms20120820.jpg
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I started at 270. After 6 months, I was down to ~200 and I started strength training.

These pictures are after 12 weeks of strength training (plus running my butt off), during those 12 weeks going from 195-178lbs.

20120204ARMScopy-1.jpg

^^^^^ Thank you for this!!! So proof that it CAN happen with lots of hard work!!!
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    I appreciate everyone's feedback!!!

My bat wings aren't huge or anything but I'd definitely like them to be smaller, more firm. I'm doing ChaLEAN Extreme so I'm lifting heavy and I was hoping I'd see a bigger difference by now but maybe just some more hard work!!

How can you tell if it's just fat or extra skin? The skin that hangs down isn't wrinkled or anything...no stretch marks.
  • twinmomtwice4
    Options
    If your curious, I have a pic of my arms in my profile.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Mine have turned to muscle. I agree with a lot of the opinions on here for example being overweight and age.
  • ghsamia
    ghsamia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this one. I am one of the older ones here (almost 47), and I've been trying to get toned/fit again. My arms have gotten smaller and more defined; however, they still "jiggle" some. I read an article in one of the magazines a while back, and it said that's why female celebrities hold their arms next to their bodies when they wave! This much I do know...they will not tone up with cardio alone. I do a lot of cardio, and I mix up the other, doing P90X, Les Mills Pump, Circuit Training, and Weight Lifting. Unfortunately for me, I seem to be aging quicker than I can put on muscle. We lose so much after age 40, and we have to work twice as hard just to stay where we were 10 years ago. Let's all prove him wrong. :smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!