help with the extra calories added when I exercise?

Options
Ok So I am sooo not getting this getting extra calories when you exercise... Aren't you suppose to burn more than you consume? can someone please explain this to me.. I am so confused..

Replies

• mrsdonaheღ
    Options
    I know what you mean...Its like "isn't that a good thing??" There was a link on here earlier explaining how much your body needs for fuel to survive and whatnot before your metabolism slows...But I was thinking if you are working out and burning more, isn't your body going to take off some fat for moving more than you ate?
  • 4healys
    4healys Posts: 44
    Options
    The calories that it allows you are based on your goal weight and the amount of normal daily activity you do (from the info you entered when you set up your profile) and the amount per week you want to lose. Those allowed before exercise are what you would need to eat to lose the weight without exercise. When you exercise, you're burning extra calories that your body needs to function so you have to add them back into your diet. Don't know how well I explained that but I hope it makes sense.
  • lillitululu
    Options
    So this is how I understand it from your explanation:

It decides you need 1300 calories to lose 2lbs per week with say... 20 minutes a day exercise. (making numbers up here.)

If you exercise 30 minutes per day, you're going to lose more than 2lbs per week if you are still only consuming 1200 calories, SO... to keep you at losing exactly 2lbs per week, it increases your caloric intake to keep you at your goal.

Right?
  • majasmi
    majasmi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    you shouldnt eat back all the calories even if it says you have so and so many calories left. this is because the exercise calories are kinda deceiving. it doesnt minus the amount of calories that your body would use even if you didnt do the exercise. do you get what i mean? so maybe you can eat back half of your calories, but dont eat back all of them.
  • 4healys
    4healys Posts: 44
    Options
    So this is how I understand it from your explanation:

It decides you need 1300 calories to lose 2lbs per week with say... 20 minutes a day exercise. (making numbers up here.)

If you exercise 30 minutes per day, you're going to lose more than 2lbs per week if you are still only consuming 1200 calories, SO... to keep you at losing exactly 2lbs per week, it increases your caloric intake to keep you at your goal.

Right?

Exactly. That being said, all these numbers are somewhat in theory. Every person is different and every week (day even) will be different. For example, it said on here last week that I should have lost 2 lbs...I lost 9!!! But what I explained and what you understood is the theory behind it.
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
  • nolan_84
    Options
    my 'rule' to this is to eat about half of the 'bonus' calories that you get when you exercise. so if you're regular goal was 1500... and you get 2000 due to exercise, eat 1750... that way you're getting a little more fuel so you're metabolism stays where it needs to be but you still maintain a little extra deficit.
  • 00Angela00
    00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

I second this! There's a reason it's called "you want to read again and again" Lots of good information for anyone who hasn't read through these needs to!
  • andiharvey
    Options
    The calories that it allows you are based on your goal weight and the amount of normal daily activity you do (from the info you entered when you set up your profile) and the amount per week you want to lose. Those allowed before exercise are what you would need to eat to lose the weight without exercise. When you exercise, you're burning extra calories that your body needs to function so you have to add them back into your diet. Don't know how well I explained that but I hope it makes sense.

Ok that makes a little more sense thanks
  • andiharvey
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I get it now