T.O.M. Question for the Ladies

Options
Hi Ladies,

Since I've been losing wieight I've noticed a change in my T.O.M...in the past 2 months I've had it 4x....one normal but for about 7days (which is long for me) and the second two weeks later (extremely heavey) for 3days. Has anyone else noticed a change in their T.O.M due to their wieght loss. I'm wondering if I should see my doctor for this. Just getting some feedback and doing some research ahead of time.

Thanks!
Trish

Replies

• JulieDillon83
    JulieDillon83 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mine has been fine but I am on the pill. If you aren't on anything your period is linked to the amount of body fat and testosterone in your system. If you are starving yourself then your period will lessen but that is the limit of my knowledge. I would see a doctor just to make sure I don't have a blood clot or something, It's all probably perfect and linked to your weight loss but I think it is better to be safe than sorry,
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    I know it's normal for changes to happen as your body re-adjusts and in most cases it is a light cycle not heavy. I dont have much advice to give since i'm curious on answers to this question as well because I am having the opposite occur after being VERY regular and consistant my whole life. One month it was really long and light, the next it was a week late and only 3 days but normal and now I seem to have skipped it all together this month. LOL. I've been attributing it to my body basically saying "wtf!" and treating it like a 'wait and see what happens' sort of thing.
  • MrsHyland
    MrsHyland Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Once I put on the last 50 pounds I stopped getting me TOM. Once I started losing a little weight it would come sporadically, and for the last 3 or 4 months I have had it every month but the intensity is always different. You body is probably just trying to get back into a regular cycle. From what I understand weight really affects your TOM. But if it is something that worries you, you may want to see a doctor. Just my two cents :) Good luck!
  • AzhureSnow
    AzhureSnow Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I, personally, have not had a change with frequency, however I know a lot of women who work out a ton who stop getting periods altogether.
  • trkilpatrick
    trkilpatrick Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Right after I started working out again, i started mine about a week early, but at the time it was extremely convenient b/c i was going to the lake with my in-laws when i was actually supposed to start. I have since gotten on birth control and now it is all out of control so i am not a very good guage but i did read that it is normal for your hormone levels to change when you dramatically change your exercise habits. once you get into a good routine, i imagine your cycle should start to regulate but if it doesn't soon, you may want to see a dr.
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    changes in weight/ lifestyle/ eating habbits all effect it even slight changes can for example when i was at uni i didnt get mine but the second i was home for a while back to normal
    if its worrying you no harm in going and seeing the doctor though :)
    x
  • nhobbit
    nhobbit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You might want to google Fibroids and exercise. It can cause heavy bleeding that mimics a period if you do strenuous exercise or a lot of ab work.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I was about 26-29 days on average, since my diet, i'm 23 days average. And that's total in the past year. My last one lasted 6 days, which is so nuts for me, usually it's 3-4 at the most.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    about a month or two into this journey i started having breakthrough bleeding (on a 4x a year pill) and had the cramps and everything and then it went away a few days later. so i definitely think our bodies are trying to adjust to a diff lifestyle. i would say hit up your doctor if you're in pain more than normal or it happens again.
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I would head to the doctor for any changes. You should be consulting with your doctor on your weight loss journey anyway - checking in every few months to make sure you're still on the right track and having no adverse effects from your method (blood tests, check blood pressure etc)
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I've never seen a change in the 17 years I've had mine. Ever. Not from working out, stress, nothing. But then, every individual woman is different. Some wildly different.

Have you been living in close quarters with any other women by chance? My roommate in college used to "sync" to me and it would cause her to have two periods during that month that we roomed together again after a long absence (like after Christmas break.)

I wouldn't be too concerned, just mention it to your doc.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    any other lifestyle changes? new roommate, etc? women's bodies try to "synch up", which messes up cycles until everyone is on the same week.
  • MissC787
    MissC787 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    From experience I am going to tell you to go get checked.

I have had a variety of "cycles". Needless to say I am having a hard time recently with abdominal pain, and fullness.
    I am now awaiting an ultra sound to see if I have fibroids in my uterus. I really wish you the best, and hope that when your in doubt you will get it checked out. Good luck.
  • Sailorwind
    Sailorwind Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've only had two periods since I started my new life style. I am on the pill specifically so that my cycle regulates (I used to be all over the map and with the worst cramps), so that probably makes a difference. The first period was normal. The more recent one started a day earlier than my calendar said it should have and was super light and only lasted two days. Usually it lasts 5-6, with the first 2-3 being uber heavy. I 'm hoping it will normalize again soon. A change like that does nothing but freak me out that I'm not eating enough.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    No problems from weight loss. My periods are not as painful and crampy. I did have 1 month of 8 days of spotting along with a normal period. This was due to having too much protein from protein powders (Ultimate Nutrition Iso Sensation). The spotting went away when I stopped drinking the UN.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Mine has been driving me crazy. Ever since I started exercising, it has been late, longer, heavier, and just all out of whack. Since it's not fixing itself I will probably check in with the doctor. I would suggest the same for you if it keeps happening.
  • melissaw78
    melissaw78 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    For the last few years I would always know when I was getting it because for about 2 day I was sure there was not enough food in the entire house to satisfy me. But the last few months, it actually almost snuck up on me,
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    any other lifestyle changes? new roommate, etc? women's bodies try to "synch up", which messes up cycles until everyone is on the same week.
    At one time I had 4 other roommates in collage. After living together for a couple of years we were all in sync. People knew when to stay away from our apartment. :smile:
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    When I was so heavy, I was only getting my monthly 2 times a year. Now that I've lost the weight, it's like clockwork every month. The problem I have is with PMS. It's on a 4 month cycle. The first month my PMS is horrible. Bloating, cramps, and mood swings. Sometimes I have to lock myself in my room because any little thing my family does will set me off in a rage. Month 2 and 3 aren't as bad and month 4 is a breeze.