What's an NSV? + BBC Horizon Fasting Doc

Options
1. What does NSV mean? i see it on here regularly, but no idea what it means!

2. Horizon is a well respected BBC show so pretty trustworthy on these issues, i feel. It is DEFINITELY a must watch, in my opinion. Anyway, im giving the 5+2 option a go - 5 days normal eating and 2 days of only 600 calories. I've done a 600 calorie day today, and found it pretty easy.

You can view the documentary youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3l2yexm2W0

Thanks for reading.

Replies

• CelticHippo
    CelticHippo Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You know I was wondering what NSV means as well. Can anyone enlighten me as well?
  • jaelliott907
    Options
    I had to Google it when I first joined :) NSV = Non-scale victory.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Thanks very much :)
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options

Thanks very much :)

Now what does that mean? Non-scale victory?? Still confused.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Now what does that mean? Non-scale victory?? Still confused.
    [/quote]

this was the 'NSV' i read about, that lead me to ask what an NSV is:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/712176-92-lbs-down-and-a-huge-nsv-as-well-pics-included?hl=nsv

"I got married 13 years ago.. when i was 20 ish... i still remember the size of my wedding dress that day.. .. then i gained and gained and gained.. and went up to 3 sizes bigger than that....

well as of now when i bought my new dresses.. i am two sizes smaller than i was on my wedding day when i was 21.. ( i will be 35 next month!!!!!)"
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Already loads of posts on the horizon programme, it is getting a bit annoying seeing a new one turn up every day.
    Try using 'search' maybe ?
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,560 Member
    Options
    NSV is non-scale victory.

That means that anything positive coming from your healthier lifestyle that is not on the scale. Fitting into new clothes, someone noticing your difference, being able to walk further than normal, being able to walk away from trigger foods, etc.

These are the things that keep you motivated even when the scale isn't moving. In my case, I could actually see my collar bone today. Haven't done that in a decade. It was an NSV.
  • teelynn35
    teelynn35 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    just fitting into smaller clothes can be an NSV. Or maybe running your 1st mile. Anything you couldn't do before you started this journey, but can now:) Hope that helps. Little victories besides the one you see on the scale
  • livigabihuni
    Options
    a no scale victory would be something you consider a victory for yourself that isn't weight related. Like fitting into smaller clothes, being able to run longer, lifting heavier weights, etc.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Yes a NSV {Non-scale Victory} would be an accomplishment that you achieve that is not registered by a number on the scale. Clothing that fits better; ability to run a distance is a set time; lifting more weight than previously.
  • teach54
    teach54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    An NSV, non-scale victory, would be some type of accomplishment in terms of health/ fitness/ weight that is not simply a number on the scales. Examples would be: fitting into a smaller size, finishing a 5K, getting a random compliment about how good you look, etc.