Stomach "Shrinking?"

Options
Is this a myth, like a unicorn or leprauchan? I've been on a 1200-calorie diet, down from a probably 2000-3000 calorie diet, for almost 3 months now and I am still REALLYYYYYYYYYY hungry throughout the day. I keep thinking my stomach will shrink or my body will get used to it and I won't be so hungry. Now I'm thinking that maybe my body is telling me that I am supposed to eat more because biologically I'm supposed to be bigger. Listen to my body? Wait it out? I don't want to gain the weight back but holy monkeys, it's hard to be hungry all the time.

Yes I try to eat low calorie but filling foods like fruits and vegetables, blah blah. :) Soup seems to work best for me. But, I still feel deprived.

Just wondering if I'm alone here! :)

Replies

• kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, up your calorie intake a bit. I wasn't getting enough at 1200, so I eat between 1300 and 1500 and feel great and still loose.

Don't deprive yourself. You'll get burned out and demotivate yourself.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, up your calorie intake a bit. I wasn't getting enough at 1200, so I eat between 1300 and 1500 and feel great and still loose.

Don't deprive yourself. You'll get burned out and demotivate yourself.

I agree. Especially if you're working out plenty. You'll need a little more to fuel it and you shouldn't have to be hungry all the time!
    And I love that you said holy monkeys. :laugh:
  • Cinnamonstickbella
    Options
    I am sure the other posters above have some good info for you. Just adding my cents.

I did WW few years ago x2 and lost maybe 15 or so lbs in three months (was doing well....why did I quit? LOL). I was hungry all the time....and eating about 1200 calories per day. But unfortunately, hungry a lot. I never "adjusted" (about three months of time with each WW go around). I find for ME--I really only can lose weight at 1200 calories per day. 40 years old now and 5'4. I read not to go below 1200 calories as you know.....

I have no advice for you other than saying that for me, 1200 works well, but I am "constantly hungry". In order for (me) to lose though- it needs to be 1200. I am now at about 1500/1600 per day and have NOT lost one pound to date even with working out 40 mins/5x a week. I also never quite hear my stomach growl as I do at 1200 per day. It is nice...but I am not losing. I am trying to drop a bit more calories to be at 1200 but...hard as you know. I am never "starving" at this (1500) calorie point --but not losing also (and the heaviest I have EVER been--168 lbs)....

GL.

On WW's it helped me to eat "free foods' (carrots, etc). Basically to eat foods that are super low in calories (veggies) in endless amounts....helped...but did not quite cut it taste wise. I did lose weight as I said. Nice and steady. Just happened to gain it back....
  • rosesaresweet
    Options
    my advice is to up your water intake--- 1/2 your body weight in ounces, at least! also, try a natural appetite suppressant...helped me a lot through those times i thought i was going to DIE of hunger :)

1342787.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • liannecatherine
    liannecatherine Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! Great advice. I especially think the last one is right on--I do not drink enough water. I find myself thirsty often and just get distracted/busy and forget to drink. I've even been getting headaches lately that I think are directly related to dehydration.

Otherwise, I will stick with the 1200 and hope I continue losing and eventually get used to the hunger. :)
  • cinemec
    cinemec Posts: 15
    Options
    I too was having headaches, and it was directly related to too little water intake. Next time you get one try drinking a pint of water and give it 15 mins, I've found they clear up right away!
    As for the hunger I've found I still get pretty hungry but I don't think about my next meal 24/7 any more, and when I do eat within a few bites I feel the hunger subsiding which is very different to before. In the past I'd scoff the whole meal down then still being hungry I'd reach for the treats.. Perhaps this is related to stomach shrinkage?
  • aquariumche
    aquariumche Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I found I feel hungrier faster if I eat mostly "fast carbs" at a meal (rice, bread, potatoes, chocolate:() and I'm better with "slow carbs" (lentils, beans). Check what types of carbs you eat when you feel hungry and try that :)
    And the water advice is great; especially that you get headaches.