Homemade Chicken Soup From Scratch - 191 kcals

Options
SO tasty! It takes a long time, but most of the time spent is waiting while the broth simmers. Plus, when you think of the number of meals this is...it is so worth it!

http://www.fooddidit.com/2012/08/homemade-chicken-soup-from-scratch.html

Cooking time: 3 hours
Yield: 7 bowls of 3 ladles each
Calories per serving: 191
Cost per serving: Approximately €.70

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I love home made chicken soup from scratch. You are right, it is a lot of work, but well worth it.

About 2 x a year I will spend a day making homemade soups and broth, make 2 or 3 types of soup with it. I portion them out into individual servings and freeze them. A super yummy quick lunch during the work week!
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Agreed!
  • youallonsy
    youallonsy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you want to up the flavor a bit, why not let Maillard help you?

Try browning the onions, carrots, and celery in the bottom of your stock pot (rough cut/diced first).

Another trick is to roast the chicken legs/thighs before cooling and removing the meat (save in the refrigerator for after the stock is completed). use the bones and remaining chicken bits to make your stock.

We make a similar soup quite often at our house. About 3 times a month we roast a Cornish hen for dinner. The breast we eat for that nights meal and after the bird cools I remove the dark meat and save it for soup later. The carcass (ugly word, great flavor) is used to make our stock. Care is taken to catch all the juices and gelatin (to add in the stock) by placing the cooling carved bird in a shallow bowl.
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Thank you youallonsy...I will try that next time!
  • youallonsy
    Options
    Just made your soup.....kind of.

The kids were hungry, nothing was thawed, perfect time to try your soup. From start to finish was about 35 minutes including the chicken breast thaw time.

I added potatoes, sliced the chicken breast about 3 mm thick, and used "better than bouillon" instead of making the stock. We keep a jar handy for quick meals and even had some sent to me when I was deployed. ( http://www.superiortouch.com/retail/products/better-than-bouillon )

Love your blog BTW.

IMAG0548-1.jpg
  • softsculptor
    Options
    Thanks (about the blog)!

Wow, looks super good!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    for us lazies:

Broth:

3 liters of water
    5 small yellow onions
    5 carrots
    4 celery stalks
    3 large chicken legs w/ thighs (~1100 grams)
    3 teaspoons herbes de provence
    1 teaspoon rosemary
    4 chicken bouillon cubes
    1/4 bunch fresh parsley
    salt
    pepper

Soup:

3 small yellow onions
    4 celery stalks
    4 carrots
    1/4 bunch fresh parsley
    cooked chicken thighs, skin and bones removed (~380 grams)

Instructions:

This recipe involves two steps: creating the broth (the time-consuming part) and assembling the broth with the chicken and fresh veggies (the fast part).

To make the broth, cover the three large chicken legs with thighs in approximately 3 liters of water. Press garlic and roughly chop all of the vegetables for the broth. This is just for the flavor of the vegetables, so peeling and dicing is not necessary. I, for instance, quartered the onions and cut each carrot into four large pieces, as shown below.

Allow broth to simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours. It is ready when the chicken is falling off the bone and the broth has achieved a rich, hearty flavor. Strain all components from the broth, reserving liquid. Throw away vegetables and carefully pick through chicken, removing any skin bones.

Now, prepare the fresh vegetables for the soup by slicing carrots and celery into 1/4 inch rounds. Chop onions into pieces of roughly the same size and cook 30 minutes, or until carrots are tender.

Cooking time: 3 hours
    Yield: 7 bowls of 3 ladles each
    Calories per serving: 191
    Cost per serving: Approximately €.70
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i add a lot more veggies to mine, and make a stock from a rotisserie chicken (SO FRICKING GOOD!!!)

i love love love chicken veg soup
  • youallonsy
    Options
    I love rotisserie chicken, they make a great stock and save time as well.
  • c3jaam
    c3jaam Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sounds Good!