Proper running form

Options
I am in week 4 of couch to 5K. I am really working hard on getting my running form correct. Any suggestions from you professional runners out there??

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm not professional by any means but I have improved my form.

I would suggest doing some drills

High knees
    Butt kicks
    skips
    cross overs

just google them and do them before your run.

That and hill repeats at some point. That is a little early for you now though
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Head up, don't drag your feet too much, and don't swing your arms across your chest. If you start out with proper form then you will maintain proper form.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Go to a RUNNING SHOE store (not a Foot Locker). Around here we have "Running Room". They will set you up with a gate analysis and tell you what you need to adjust. Different shoes can help as well.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Run tall and lead with your chest :happy:
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Land on the middle of your foot, not your heel or toes... :)
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • phillieschic
    Options
    - medium strides landing mid-foot (not the ball or the heel)
    - good posture
    - look ahead (not down at your feet especially)
    - don't make fists
  • Hayesgang
    Hayesgang Posts: 624
    Options
    Swing your arms like you are putting change in your pockets.

A trick to keeping relaxed: pretend that you are rolling a pencil between your thumb and index finger.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    You can google proper running form and you'll find all kinds of information. I did this a few weeks into C25K as well and it's helped me quite a bit with hip pain, side stiches, etc. I'm virtually pain free when I run now.....just need to up my endurance. LOL

Congrats on starting the program!! I was shocked to discover that i LOVE running!! I've just started week 7. :)
  • tri10806
    tri10806 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Here's a really good start. I've been running several years and took a Good Form class last year. It reinforced some things I was lacking.

http://www.newbalance.com/running/good-form-running/61000,default,sc.html

Step 1: Posture - Proper posture is the critical first step toward improved running form – one that sets the stage for more-efficient movement.

Step 2: Midfoot - Landing on the midfoot, rather than the ankle, not only reduces impact on the knee – a common source of pain and injury – but also works with the other principles to encourage forward momentum for the body.

Step 3: Cadence - For many people making the transition, aiming for a cadence of 180 steps per minute (or 3 per second) is the element which requires the most work.

Step 4: Lean - Rather than over-striding or reaching with the feet, Good Form Running utilizes a forward lean to propel the body forward.

exercise.png
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    This just randomly popped up on my FB page today from C25k.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Find-a-Running-Form-Thats-Right-for-You.htm?cmp=17-7-3049

And here all this time - I didn't know there was a "proper form". I thought you just ran. *shrugs shoulders*

OF COURSE Ive been doing it wrong. :grumble:
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Step 2: Midfoot - Landing on the midfoot, rather than the ankle, not only reduces impact on the knee – a common source of pain and injury – but also works with the other principles to encourage forward momentum for the body.

exercise.png

I'm confused about the "midfoot landing" thing. I think I tend to land slightly more toward my toes. I'm confused because I've also always heard that you should angle slightly forward when running, which makes the weight go slightly toward the front of your toes. I must be doing something wrong, because I almost always get shin splints (unless I'm on a treadmill, and that could be because I always use an incline on the treadmill).

So what exactly IS midfoot? The arch? And if so, how do you accomplish this while still angling forward? Does your heel need to make solid contact with the ground with each step? I feel like an idiot when it comes to running, so I hope I'm making any sense.
  • weeblex
    weeblex Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Need to mark this for reading later.

My calves kill me when I run on the track, but I have no problem on the treadmill, I think it has to be the form, but how to change it? My toes point out slightly, when I try to pull them in I just twist my knees.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    This video should get you pointed in the right direction:

http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-form-videos

Video helps but I'm convinced that the best approach is to get in front of a good coach and have them help you learn to run. You might want to join a running club in your area to get referrals for a coach.

Enjoy your running!
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

exercise.png

I'm confused about the "midfoot landing" thing. I think I tend to land slightly more toward my toes. I'm confused because I've also always heard that you should angle slightly forward when running, which makes the weight go slightly toward the front of your toes. I must be doing something wrong, because I almost always get shin splints (unless I'm on a treadmill, and that could be because I always use an incline on the treadmill).

So what exactly IS midfoot? The arch? And if so, how do you accomplish this while still angling forward? Does your heel need to make solid contact with the ground with each step? I feel like an idiot when it comes to running, so I hope I'm making any sense.

Check out runnersworld.com for more info on this. There are scads of articles as well as forums.

I started running when I was still heavy so the local running store put me in the Nike Equalon. That was good for shock absorption but, even though I was a "returning runner" (I had a 25 year hiatus), I naturally took up a midfoot strike. I've now switched to Newton's.

Check out newtonrunning.com and then cruise over to http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form

I'm recovering from a torn ligaments in my ankle so my max distance is only 3 miles but I like the Newton's so far. In fact, when I put on my Equalons (for walking around in), I feel like I'm falling forward! The difference is only about 6 mm of rubber but the Newton's feel much more comfortable than a traditional running shoe.
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bumping for later.
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bumping for all the good info!
  • jrbtsn
    jrbtsn Posts: 16
    Options
    bump
  • Summersadiva
    Summersadiva Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    These are good links to bookmark. I'm planning to take a Good Running Form class next month.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    Bumping for later! Now that my runs are getting longer I'm noticing more hip pain :/ hope some of this will help me!