French or Spanish...HELP!!!

Options
I recently graduated from middle school, and in about a week or so I will be starting high school. In middle school, I insisted on taking French because I thought it was prettier and more fun. But now that I am going into high school, I am reconsidering this decision. I have the option to switch into Spanish, but I don't know if I should.

Right now, I am in French Honors, but if I asked, I think they will let me switch into Spanish. I don't know what I should do, I love French and the teacher and many of the people in it, but I feel like I should learn Spanish!

I don't know what to do so please write what you recommend below! Thanks so much!!! (:

Replies

• virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Stick with what u started... i know you've already learn the, nouns, feminin/masculine words and so forth....
  • marvelscale
    Options
    I agree, I've been all over, Spanish for three years, then Japanese for two, then Arabic (for two weeks lol).

Stick with what you know best. I want to go back to Spanish sometime soon.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Continue learning French. Once you master French, learning Spanish will be fairly easy. Also, get Rosetta Stone, that program really works.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Do French in school and Spanish in college :]
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I need french everywhere I go. I live part time in a spanish country and I use my french more. Both languages are pretty popular. Maybe because I'm canadian I think french is better to learn. Anyways,,,,,I've taken both. Spanish is easier. Stick with the french and you will pick up the spanish no problem in your spare time. :)
  • leypb
    leypb Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    French :)
  • rebel9
    rebel9 Posts: 16
    Options
    I would switch. Looks really good on a resume to say that you gained proficiency in two foreign languages before college. Also looks good on a college application. Puts you over the top when applying to good schools. You will also now be able to travel to many, many more countries, giving you a much fuller, more fulfilling life.

Also, you must be truly dedicated to study a foreign language without being forced to by school or for a job. It's human nature to quit when other more important things come up, so using psychology and human nature as a guide, you will probably never learn it if you don't do so in school.
  • TreEe5
    TreEe5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to what you want to do and how you'll use it in the future. I took French for 6 years while in school and although it's a beautiful language and culture, I wish I had taken Spanish. I use Spanish more since I graduated high school than I ever have French. But if you're planning on doing something like studying abroad in France, finish what you started. Either way, once you know one, learning the other is 10x easier. I hope this helps :)
  • Urquharte
    Options
    Well, I am a French teacher, so of course, I'm going to tell you to stick with French! :-)
    Seriously, though- check out the graduation requirements where you live. In Texas, where I live, students have to have 2 years of the SAME language to graduate; 3 years if they are on the advanced graduation program. So, a lot of students try a language, decide they don't like it and switch the next year, which means they still need 2 years of that new language to graduate. (does that make sense?) So, if you decide to switch, which I think would be a bad decision, be sure you're not going to get behind in your credits.
    Like others have said, if you stick with French now, you can very easily pick up Spanish later. It will be SO much easier! I've never had a formal Spanish class, and just from my French knowledge and from being around the other Spanish teachers at school, I can understand most of what I read (on signs, etc.) and have been able to travel in Spain without any troubles.

So, stick with French. You've already got a good start, so why switch now? Bon courage!
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Stick with French and get off of MFP. Go to sparkteens.com; it's more appropriate.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Continue with your French. Once you have a decent mastery, in a few years, add Spanish.
  • limesublime
    limesublime Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was in the same situation (took French in middle school, Spanish in high school). I have NEVER regretted it! I can practice Spanish frequently and French rarely.
  • jenbridges
    jenbridges Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It really comes down to what you want to do and how you'll use it in the future. I took French for 6 years while in school and although it's a beautiful language and culture, I wish I had taken Spanish. I use Spanish more since I graduated high school than I ever have French. But if you're planning on doing something like studying abroad in France, finish what you started. Either way, once you know one, learning the other is 10x easier. I hope this helps :)

I agree with this! I took French, and have not used it, but I could use Spanish everyday, if I knew how to speak it. If I could do it over, I would take Spanish. It is much more practical.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I wish i knew Spanish. In my field (healthcare) bilingual nurses who know Spanish are chosen hands-down over any other language. Many many nursing jobs stipulate they prefer nurses who can speak Spanish.
    In USA, patients who are more fluent in Spainish than English, are becoming about 25% of the patients i meet, more in some depts than others.

It is one thing to learn another language, as most of the Spanish speaking ppl i meet have done, the bulk of these patients DO know English,
    but to be comfortable enough,
    to do one's banking or medical care,
    in a foreign-to-you language,
    is yet another matter.
    Picture your own self, ever trying to get your post-surgery instructions in French. You might feel super comfy ordering dinner, or having party conversation in French, but some very important things, a person often prefers to hear in their native tongue.

so, if you are living in USA,
    if there is a chance you will deal with the general public at some point in your career,
    learning Spanish might make you wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more marketable to employers. Most every employer needs at least one Spanish speaking/bilingual employee nowadays,
    whereas most French speaking immigrants already are fluent in English, and less need for any French/English interpreters, as English is taught in France to children.

that said,
    if you love French, enjoy it!! HOwever, i've heard, once one knows French, learning Spanish is easier.

hard to know in middle school,
    what you will be doing,
    or needing to know,
    ten years from now, though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would switch. Looks really good on a resume to say that you gained proficiency in two foreign languages before college.

Studying a foreign language at the middle school level doesn't make you proficient. At most, it provides a good foundation. Colleges get applications from high school students who have studied in total immersion programs, or lived abroad, or who have a parent for whom French is his or her langue maternelle. They know what true proficiency is.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I live in Colorado and the two major languages are English and Spanish. If you can speak Spanish, you can work just about anywhere. I took 5 1/2 years of French and never use it. Wished I knew Spanish. My kiddo is also going into High school and taking Spanish.
  • rebel9
    rebel9 Posts: 16
    Options
    Also, I'm not sure where you live, but if you are in the U.S., you should definitely take Spanish since this is becoming one of the must-have skills in most states. Any other English speaking country, and French makes much more sense. England is next to France, Australia is near Vietnam, etc., which were part of the French empire until 50 or so years ago, Many Canadians speak French, etc.
  • annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've taken both classes. here are the pros & cons (in my humble opinion)

FRENCH
    Pro: sentences have the same structure as English.
    Pro: it is a beautiful language.
    Pro; it's sexy & you can impress lovers.
    Pro: if you go to France they will be nicer to you if you can speak French.
    Con: the accent is very hard to get right & you will sound like an American tourist.
    con: not too useful on jobs here in America.

SPANISH
    Pro: you will be able to go to any mexican resturant & feel right at home.
    pro; you can become bilingual & make more money at your job because of it.
    Pro: lots of people speak spanish & you can make new friends.
    Con: the sentences are inside out & i always had trouble wrapping my brain around it.
    Con: Conjigating verbs is a pain & I always ended up sounding like a caveman or a baby.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Stick with French and get off of MFP. Go to sparkteens.com; it's more appropriate.
    haha this^
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Why drop one or the other?

I would suggest you look at your motivations and you stick first with the one you enjoy the most - then add on to it once you have some proficiency. Do you think that with your current level you are able to follow any conversation? If so feel free to add any other language. French will help with Spanish and vice-versa.

I try to keep my language learning so as to not add another language until I am at a B2/C1 level, then I'll let myself wander about until one grabs me.

You might want to go look at the forums how-to-learn-any-language.com I used to spend a lot of time over there.

My core languages are Spanish, French, English (fluent in all three) - German (B2 level) and I've dabbled in Ladakhi, Italian, Portugues, Chinese, Arabic and a few others ...

Have fun, the important thing is to maintain your languages - otherwise you'll fall into the trap of being one of the many that learned and forgot.

(PS: I hate Rosetta Stone with a passion.)