How to lower the hunger level while dieting?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Proteins and fats are more satiating than simple/sugary carbs. Many vegetables are pretty low in calories so you can eat a ton of them (broccoli is one of my favorites). If you're a mashed potatoes guy and you miss your 'taters, puree some cauliflower - you'll be hard-pressed to tell it's not mashed potatoes and it's a lot less calorie-dense.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    High protein, high fiber... break it up into several small meals spaced evenly throughout the day, and drink water like it's your job.

pretty much this. the only time i'm not hungry is when i'm eating at 40% protein for the day.
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i drink **** loads of cold water when im hungry and dont have any calories left for the day.
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    Drink more water, eat more veggies and protein. If I eat things like yogurt, bread and cereal, I'm hungry pretty much all day. If I eat things like fish/steak/chicken, peanut butter, fruit, veggies, etc.. I'm rarely hungry. If you keep yourself busy that will also help.
  • uzit_13
    uzit_13 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I found PGX to help a lot!!!! I make sure I'm eating the right stuff and take PGX before my meals. If I'm 'starving' in 2 or 3 hours, even though I've eaten what I'm supposed to, then I take more PGX. I took it for about 3 weeks when I was cutting my calories and now I don't get super hungry like I did. It's like my body has adjusted to the new calories.
  • miame22
    miame22 Posts: 16
    Options
    I eat every 3 to 4 hours. 85% clean (as in not processed, no chemicals, sugar or refined flour). Always pair protein with complex carbs. 4 liters of water minimum (more w/ excercise or if you have anything with sodium, alcohol or caffeine.)

breakfast, lunch and dinner = complex carb + protein + fruit + veg
    mid am, mid afternoon & after dinner snack = protein + complex carb (usually a raw veg & nuts)
    60 to 90 gr of protein and less than 150 gr of carbs per day (calorie breakdown roughly = 30% protein, 30% fat 40% carbs)

My hubby and I follow Tosca Reno's Eat Clean lifestyle at about 85% with a few unclean meals a week (I mean you just have to have ice cream, hot wings, pizza and beer every once in a while - but don't go crazy watch your portions!!!!)

I log my foods most days, but honestly if I am 100% clean on any given day (which means I am also eating appropriate portions) I don't always track it. There are also days when I can't track, like holidays or out of town trips, so I take a picture of my plates and call it a 3000 cal day.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    I agree with the eat more green leafy and more vegetables. I don't know what you're eating but it is possible to "stay within your calories" and feel hungry b/c our stomachs have this sensor that sends us a message that we're "satisfied" and "full" when it is stretched. 400 calories of say a cheese burger and fries doesn't do that or a 400 calorie donut; however if you were to eat 400 calories of fresh vegetables and some lean proteins and whole grains (and I mean WHOLE with the fiber); your stomach is going to get that stretched "sensor" feeling that says "I'm full"; "I'm satisfied".

Yes, sometimes we feel hungry when we are truly thirsty; so makes sure to drink plenty of water every day and if you can't tolerate it...mix it up. Squeeze in a lemon or an orange.

The other thing that really helps is splitting your meals up; so I actually eat every 3 hours. Breakfast at 7am, snack at 10am, lunch at 12 or sometimes it has to be 1pm, then another snack at 3pm (or 4 if I at at 1), then dinner at 5 or 6.
  • louiesa55
    louiesa55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    i will try some of these things. i will try water again