Good HRM?

Options
I am thinking about buying a good HRM to more accurately calculate how many calories I'm burning while exercising. I think MFP is overestimating, and the treadmill/elliptical/stationary bike are underestimating.

I am looking for something not too expensive, simple, and user friendly. Any advice?

Replies

• thibk5
    thibk5 Posts: 40
    Options
    I use the Polar Ft4 and I love it. I got it at Target for less than $40. But any of the Polar ones are great. I just wanted to know heart rate and calories burned. The others had many more gadgets.
  • bradp1979
    bradp1979 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Excellent. Thank you. I already need to go to Target tomorrow anyways. Score!
  • Wisemomoffour
    Wisemomoffour Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7. I love it but wished it had distance. Look for the options you want--they aren't all the same. There are other boards on this if you want to search. Good luck shopping! :smile:
  • JethroXP
    JethroXP Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've got the Polar FT7, it adds the capability of storing your workout session history on the watch so you can go back and check your perforance from previous workouts. Very useful if you log your workouts elsewhere such as on MFP or Fitocracy and you need to "catch up" a few days worth of logging.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT60 and love it......... The FT4 and FT7 are both great models as well...
  • seussman67
    Options
    I think the exercise equipment is overstating. I have one that doesn't have a chest strap so it's hard for me to use it during my bootcamp classes. Also, it's kinda awkward pushing the button on the watch when you're running. So, I would recommend getting one with the chest strap.
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    My advice is to REALLY (not yelling, italicized) do the research before buying one. Know what features you really want, how accurate you want it to be, and the cost of upkeep/ how often it will need replaced. I did about ten full hours of research. Here is what I found:

Chest straps are most accurate
    Many watches need to be sent back to the manufacture to have the battery replaced (costing upwards of 30 dollars for a 90 dollar watch)
    For the most part you get what you pay for
    Entry level will run you 85 dollars +/- (okay if you just need something)
    Mid level will be around 130 +/- (best for those trying to improve fitness)
    High end will be near 230 +/- (ideal for athletes)
    Don't just look at the price at one store. Some watches can be up to 30 dollars cheaper on amazon.

Also, for me, the Polar FT60 was the best watch. It had every feature I needed, and many that I wanted. On this watch you can replace the battery for both the chest strap and the watch. Plus, the sensor for the strap comes off, so it won't drain the battery (plus you can wash the fabric strap). I absolutely love it.