Fat Cutting and Weight Loss Supplements

Options
I'm a larger guy trying to cut my fat and become more toned. I wanted to know if there are any dietary supplements to use that naturally cut fat. I have heard about "L-carnitine L-tartrate" and possibly Hydroxycut. Does anyone know or has used anything to help me reach my fitness goals? Thank you!

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there's no scientific evidence that I've seen supporting the idea that supplements help with fat loss, regardless of the kind of supplement you take. I really think the only thing that's going to help you with fat loss is a calorie deficit. Eating a good balance of protein, fats, and carbs, will also help you reach your body composition goals. One popular "macro" combination is 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat... but really, you should read up on body composition and choose a macro ratio that sounds sustainable for you. I like this guy: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com

But back to the supplement issue... supplements can sometimes help with the mental side of weight loss. There's a lot to be said for the placebo effect. Doctors have been known to intentionally prescribe placebos just to tap into the whole 'power of belief' thing. So... I'm not saying "don't take them"... but... for me, personally, they aren't worth the money.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    All you need to know about supplements:
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-1.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/supplements-part-2.html

Usually those fat burners are stimulants- they give you more energy and suppress your appetite. I would try caffeine (love my coffee) before spending money on any of the other stuff. Some people like ephedrine (or EC stacks) for more of a kick.

The only ingredient in Hydroxycut that shows evidence in aiding weight loss is caffeine. So I'd save my money and just take caffeine instead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    The majority of supplements only attribute to about 1% of your total weight loss. A lot to pay for so little results.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • theisaboy
    Options
    Try oxylite :)
  • smoore0411
    smoore0411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a big fan of supplements, especially for weight loss/cutting. I use protein and occasionaly a pre-workout. I've tried a ton of different hydroxycut type products but really no results. Splitting my diet into 6-7 meals and eating clean helped me. my .02
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a magic pill to cut fat. Unless you want to believe the infomercials and spend a lot of money.
  • flajocar
    flajocar Posts: 37
    Options
    Tried Hydroxy cut and didn't lose a pound. Started working out and watching calories lost almost 40! Diligence and hard work pay off every time. Use the money and get a good Heart Rate Monitor!
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've ever taken (for about 3-4 months) that I liked was the Alli pill. It just blocks some of the fat you eat so your body doesn't absorb it. It helped me lose my first 30 pounds but it said not to use it for long term so I stopped it and really got into the working out and eating clean kick! I would only recommend it to someone in the beginning that still has a lot of weight to lose.
  • camorati
    camorati Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks guys for your input! I really appreciate it. From what 'all have told me, I'll just stick to watching my calories and doing my daily workout. Ive only been serious about weight loss for little over a week now, but I feel great about what I am doing!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Best fat loss supplement.... limit cardio, lots of heavy weight training.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    The only supplements for weight loss that I ever used that were actually highly effective are now banned in the US at least.

There may be some out there that do what they claim, but most of the good stuff has been made illegal because a few idiots likely overdosed and died from it.

That being said, limiting sugar and carbs, upping protein and fat and limiting cardio and lifting realatively heavy has been working for me.