Almost Football season

Options
DLKeeble
DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
My crew are already talking about foods for the ball games. UGH! I need some healthier ideas. I'd appreciate any you can send my way.

Thanks

typical dishes:
rotel, sausage and cream cheese dip with tortilla chips
jalapeno popper dip
7 layer dip
bacon wrapped little smokies with brown sugar
nothing healthy. LOL

Replies

• trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You can make a real healthy Chili with Turkey or venison
  • DLKeeble
    Options

The guys would probably love that. They like to deer hunt and I have deer meat in the freezer.

Keep them coming!
  • alibean
    alibean Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Baked "buffalo" wings or Baked Chicken breast "nuggets" with hot sauce/BBQ sauce
    Mini pizzas with veggies and small amount of lowfat mozerella
    Turkey Chili
    Pita chips or baked chips with hummus or salsa or lowfat greek yogurt based dips
    Lighten up your 7 layer dip with fat free beans/lite sour cream/lowfat cheese (used baked chips or veggies to dip)
    Turkey club sandwiches on whole grain rolls with cous cous salad (whole wheat cous cous, cherry tomatoes, basil, feta, lemon juice, olive oil) or other light (no mayo) salad

The change might take a little getting used to but it's worth it!

Go Big Blue! :)
  • DLKeeble
    Options
    Baked "buffalo" wings or Baked Chicken breast "nuggets" with hot sauce/BBQ sauce
    Mini pizzas with veggies and small amount of lowfat mozerella
    Turkey Chili
    Pita chips or baked chips with hummus or salsa or lowfat greek yogurt based dips
    Lighten up your 7 layer dip with fat free beans/lite sour cream/lowfat cheese (used baked chips or veggies to dip)
    Turkey club sandwiches on whole grain rolls with cous cous salad (whole wheat cous cous, cherry tomatoes, basil, feta, lemon juice, olive oil) or other light (no mayo) salad

The change might take a little getting used to but it's worth it!

Go Big Blue! :)

Great ideas! We love buffalo anything. Turkey clubs are always good. I thought about using lower fat ingredients for the layered dip.
    Thanks!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    need ideas too. football sundays will ruin my entire week!
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump!

your group of friends sounds alot like mine..are you from the South too?
  • Jenniferrose194
    Jenniferrose194 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Make a big pot roast with the venison!! It doesn't ever last long when I make it at my house! :smile:
  • missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    I make potato skins, that are basically just hollowed out potatoes and you can put whatever you want in them (reduced fat cheese, low fat sour cream) but you can also put out bacon and regular cheese for the other people who are over.
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Whoa... wait... there is something called 7 layered dip that I have never been introduced to? Sounds goood..... lol My family always buys veggie trays and fruit trays. Pita chips, salsa or hummus are good too =)
  • asmallermeplz
    asmallermeplz Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    BUMP :flowerforyou: GREAT IDEAS
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You could make the 7 layer dip easily with low fat subsitutes! How about salsa chicken? I just put frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot, add 1 pkg of low sodium taco seasoning and a jar of salsa. Cook on low. You could put in tacos or just eat with scoops!
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Taco Soup... Perfect for fall and SO easy.

1 can black beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 or 2 packets of taco seasoning, depending on what you like
    2 cans tomatoes with green chilies
    1 can corn, drained
    1 pound ground turkey/beef

Simply brown ground beef in a large skillet or dutch oven, and drain of fat. return to pan and just dump all ingredients in. Add about 4 cups of water or more to your liking. I add hot sauce to ours too for more heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Serve with cornbread, tortilla chips, reduced fat cheese and low fat/fat free sour cream. Its amazing. and again so easy. Great game day food thats low cal and filling

ps; you can really substitute out the low cal versions of anything for the full fat and calorie ones, and if they are anything like my boyfriend, they will NEVER notice.
  • pittcurl
    pittcurl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mostly it's easy to do, just change a bit on what you do. Like baked instead of fried and reduced fat/calories instead of regular. I tried a bunch of recipes from Hungry Girl to help out. Check out:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/biteout/show/2204
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1433

Chili is the easiest way to go. Maybe search here for Cauliflower pizza, it's amazing and way low in calories and fat. For the food to eat while watching... spice up some popcorn, I always pop some reduced calorie popcorn and spray with some oil and sprinkle cayenne pepper. It's awesome. Also another fun thing to do (which diverts from the food) is to do an exercise when certain things happen during the game. Touchdown- 10 jumping jacks, interseption- 10 crunches, or we went into detail years ago everytime they show Bill Cowher with that upset look (chin out) we did 10 burpies. I found a bunch of workouts like that on Pinterest for tv shows. That way you are getting in the exercise if you happen to eat too much of those "healthy" food options.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Skyline dip is big in my house on game day. I use fat free cream cheese and reduced fat regular cheese - but sometimes you can tell. I will also use smaller chips too.

If I'm having a spread, I'll do broiled BBQ or buffalo wings, a vegy tray with fat free ranch dip or hummus (fat free sour cream and a packet of dried ranch seasoning, maybe english muffin pizzas. I'll make chili and meatballs too for subs and whatever..

Game day is tough.
  • wrinju
    wrinju Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    bump :love:
  • LilRock25
    LilRock25 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com & emilybites.com both have really good ideas for healthier foods.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Always incorporate the following ingredient into your gameday..........the ingredient you ask???

THE NEW ORLEANS F'IN SAINTS!!!!!!!!!!!

you are welcome.
  • lfm1968
    lfm1968 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    GO LIONS!
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Dont forget to watch the increased sodium content in a lot of fat free and reduced fat items. The sugar and the sodium always seem to go up when the calories and fat go down. So read your labels. Also replacing plain greek yogurt for the sour cream will do amazing things and don't think you can tell a difference!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

Yup! That's a good one. I vote for Turkey, as I've never been a fan of venison.