Does anyone else have this problem?

Options
I feel like I'm forcing eight glasses of water down my throat a day. Is it this hard for anyone else? Any tips?

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Yep. I have to chug my water to get it in or else I won't drink anything at all.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Most places have thrown the 8 glass a day recommendation out the window. I don't know why MFP still sticks to it. Don't make yourself sick drinking water. Other fitness sites and diet programs say 6 glasses and that includes any coffee, tea, and flavored drinks.
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Its not a problem for me but i get bored drinking so much so i drink 0 calorie flavored waters or use the crystal light packets, that way its like drinking a punch, tea or juice without all the calories!
  • BeverlyBrooke
    Options
    Thanks Birdie and mystikalbeanz!

I have loads of those crystal light packets.
    And it's nice to know that no one really says that anymore. :)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I drink loads more then that. Helps me not eat.

But you don't have to drink 8 glasses. That myth has been debunked so many times it isn't even funny. Drink when you are thirsty. You get most of the water your body needs through the foods you eat.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    The water here tastes a litte funky and I'm working on reducing artificial sweeteners (for reasons unknown).

I have been enjoying putting a drop of mint or orange extract in my water.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I have to force myself to drink 8 cups of water unless I exercise.
  • Adrenaline_Queen
    Adrenaline_Queen Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, I have half a pint of water first thing, after my teeth and I come down stairs, then do my thing for about ten mins and have another glass, that works for me, then I find out I drink throughout the day x

I dont force myself, I also find it is good to drink half a pint before you eat, then you eat less.......... Just in my experience.......

Ohhhhhhhhh another thing, if I feel like a snack, I have a glass of water, once you do this for a few days, your body becomes used to it...

I can drink loads on a hot day when training x

Hope you get over it and manage to drink more x
  • Caz104
    Caz104 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I drank 14 glasses of water today!

My trick? Room temperature water. I know a lot of people don't like it that way but I find it easier to drink more when it's room temperature. I really struggle with cold water.
  • serf3469
    serf3469 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, I dislike water and the taste, but I brush my teeth with toothpast that is flavored with breathstrips, and after brushing, I can drink all the water I want, because I have the good fresh taste in my mouth.

Brian
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's very hard. I haven't gotten 8 glasses of water down in a day yet. Six is the most I've been able to drink.
  • somemansdream
    Options
    Long ago, it was very rare to see me with water. However, that is the one change that I have managed to master. I have used filtered tap water and bottled both. I have to have my water now--especially in this heat and I live in a desert type environment. One tip, if you struggle drinking water like I did in the beginning--buy those little 8 ounce bottles or use a cup--because you can drink it in just a few swallows. I noticed when I do that, I drink it and then go "where is my water"? Good luck, Debbie
  • awenske1
    awenske1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It's definitely hard. Especially seeing that the BEST way to drink water is ICE cold because your body has to work at getting your temperature back to normal so your body isn't as freezing as the water is, so you're actually making your body work as you merely drink water! I use "mio" water. I don't use as much as the commercials so my water is usually very very light red or blue (depending on flavor) rather than looking like koolaid. It has 0 calories & 0 sugars but I'm sure it has some other sort of sweetener that might not be good so I use it in every other glass of water. Hope this helps!
  • awenske1
    awenske1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience, I have half a pint of water first thing, after my teeth and I come down stairs, then do my thing for about ten mins and have another glass, that works for me, then I find out I drink throughout the day x

I dont force myself, I also find it is good to drink half a pint before you eat, then you eat less.......... Just in my experience.......

Ohhhhhhhhh another thing, if I feel like a snack, I have a glass of water, once you do this for a few days, your body becomes used to it...

I can drink loads on a hot day when training x

Hope you get over it and manage to drink more x

Agree with drinking a glass of water when you're hungry!!! Also, after every few bites of food whenever you eat, take a few sips of water you'll be surprised how much you drink. You just have to let your body get used to drinking more water
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Herbal tea or sparkling plain mineral water make it easier for me to get more water in.
  • serf3469
    serf3469 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I even tried that mio or mia stuff, and it says no calories, but I believe that something inside of it is bad, because of the taste it has, it seems too light with one drop, but then it doesn't taste good, with more drops the die seems to make me sick.

Brian

I will just stick to ice tea, I love it, and it keeps me from drinking soda,

many people have told me that they quit soda drinking and lost 14 pounds or more, that is crazy.
  • Penfoldsplace
    Options
    I saw a programme recently on the bbc that said you only really need to drink when you are thirsty. Also fluid is fluid, it doesn't have to be plain water. Tea, soda etc all counts and hydrates us. I tend to drink quite a bit as it stops me snacking. I wouldn't force it if I wasn't thirsty though.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I love the sparkling ice flavored waters - they are zero caleries. I also make lemonade with artificial sweetener and it has zero calories. I don't like plain water either, never have.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I had to work up to it. Before i was keeping track i thought to myself oh sure, I drink lots of water. Then I started tracking and realized i was hardly getting 4-5 cups a day. It actually took me about a month to work up 8 glasses a day without always feeling like I'm going to wet myself lol.
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I don't have any issue with drinking lots of water as long as it tastes good. I hate buying bottled water because it's so expensive but the water at work is now starting to taste like chlorine so I've cut back and I can tell that I'm feeling more sluggish because I've replaced it with diet soda. Think I'm gonna invest in a filter pitcher to take to work with me and see if that helps!