Something I can't wrap my head around.

Options
I've tried to explain this a few times to different people and people either didn't understand me or had no clue how to answer, so let me try again here.

So as of today, I'm 48 pounds down. Started at a horrifying 247 and trying to get to 120, meaning I've got 79 pounds to go.
When I started I was size 18 pants and as of today, now fit into a 12 (I'm judging all this on one brand - Target "Fit 1"), what I can't quite imagine is what size I will be 80 pounds from now. I'm basically going down a pant size every 20 pounds or so, so I'd be a, what? Size 6? That seems crazy!
This is also happening with underwear. I started as an XL and today Medium fits... MEDIUM. What will that end up being? XS?!

I grew up fat so I've never had a normal size that I was and am trying to get back to. Does this make any sense or am I just crazy?

Replies

• kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I'm about 5'4'ish (maybe a little more) and when I weigh 130, I'm a size 6.
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    It makes sense to me. When I was 120 pounds I was a size 4, sometimes a 6 and I'm pretty short (5'4"). If you are taller than that, you may be in an even smaller size.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind, too, that clothing companies are sizing smaller and smaller -- I guess to stroke our egos? I was in Ann Taylor Loft the other day and I needed a size 2 or 0. A size 2 or 0??? I haven't been a size 2 since I was 12 (never mind 0) and I'm certainly not a size 2 now! Yes, I've lost weight, gotten slim and trim, but clothing sizing has gotten a little silly.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I am curious too. I am starting at 282 pounds and want to end between 160-180 pounds. I want to get to 180 then reevaluate. I would love to know where I will end up. I am starting at a 18/20 pants and a XL/XXL right now. I have a 44DD/44DDD. I would love to end up at a since 8-12 pants and a M/S shirt.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I am 5'5.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I am 5'5.

I'm very muscular, so sizing may be different for me than for you, but when I got down to 120 (pre-wedding jitters), my family all told me that I was looking overly thin.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Great problem to have! So awesome that your hard work is paying off. As you small framed? That will make a difference too at your goal weight...and if you're lifting bc muscle is more compact but weighs more. Hope you're finding all sports of fabulously cute clothes as you keep getting healthy!
  • goldfish29
    goldfish29 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?

I am 5'5.

I'm 5'5", 128 and a size 6. In some brands a 4.
  • IndyMode
    IndyMode Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 '4" and when I was 125-130 I would wear size 2-4. now I'm a size 6-8, of course depends on brands and your body shape. But I can still barely squeeze into my size 4(european size 27) Buckle jeans. So really, if you're taller than me, and you're goal weight is less than what I weighed before, I'm assuming you should be at least a 2-4 in most stores :) especially at target.
  • arenkel
    arenkel Posts: 77
    Options
    I'm 5'6", ~118 lbs (working on being skinny-fit rather than skinny-fat)

Depending on the brand and fit, size 0 to 4 or extra small to medium. Then again, I have a small bone structure and my curves are not super defined.

Edit: I also have long arms that sometimes force me to go up a size (I have several sweaters that are HUGE in the torso but are barely long enough in the sleeve. I've just come to accept my ape arms.)

Congrats on your progress! As you get closer to your goal, try to focus more on how you feel than what the scale and size tags say.

Also keep in mind that sizes have changed to make us feel better about ourselves. In the 50's, I probably would have been a US size 10 or 12 at least. It's all very arbitrary.
  • JenniferNoll
    JenniferNoll Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I've tried to explain this a few times to different people and people either didn't understand me or had no clue how to answer, so let me try again here.

So as of today, I'm 48 pounds down. Started at a horrifying 247 and trying to get to 120, meaning I've got 79 pounds to go.
    When I started I was size 18 pants and as of today, now fit into a 12 (I'm judging all this on one brand - Target "Fit 1"), what I can't quite imagine is what size I will be 80 pounds from now. I'm basically going down a pant size every 20 pounds or so, so I'd be a, what? Size 6? That seems crazy!
    This is also happening with underwear. I started as an XL and today Medium fits... MEDIUM. What will that end up being? XS?!

I grew up fat so I've never had a normal size that I was and am trying to get back to. Does this make any sense or am I just crazy?

You aren't crazy. You're fabulous.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Let me go dig out my magic 8 ball then I'll answer you. Brb.
  • raven3lise
    raven3lise Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I've only gained weight my whole life, never lost. Apparently a healthy weight for me would be 120. I was 150 by the time I was ten. I wonder if I'd be a very thin 5'0" girl.
  • Ashers83
    Ashers83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!!! I was around a 2/4 when I was 120 lbs but like everyone else said, it will depend on the brand.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Sizes are crazy these days. I am 5'5 and currently 148. I started at close to 200 and was a tight 10/loose 12 (old navy). I bought a pair of size 4 jeans at the Limited the other day and a size 4 skirt at Loft and they weren't tight/uncomfortable at all. I would've thought I would've needed to lose at least another 10lbs before I got into that size.

It feels good to see those little size numbers... but there was that stab of negativity in the back of my head that it's just the "industry" making the size range more forgiving. I mean, that 00 size had to be invented for some reason--- what's next the 000?
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    What usually happens is that when you get closer to your goal weight, you will drop sizes as quickly. At the beginning of your journey, you were probably dropping a size every week or two; as you get closer to that 120, you will probably drop a size every 4 to 6 weeks instead. It is also possible that you will end up in an extra-small, but if that doesn't happen, don't get down on yourself. So don't worry too much about sizes, just enjoy the ride and be proud when you hit your goal no matter what size it is! :wink:
  • koalabanana
    koalabanana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    when I was 120 lbs I was usually a US size 6 :) at 5ft3 :) and at 110 lb I'm a size 4! And when I was 106 lb I was a size 2 ahaha! xxxx
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sizes are crazy. I am 5"4 and 174. I am barely a 12 at Old Navy. When I was 130-135 I was a 4 or 6 at Abercrombie and Old Navy. My goal is 135. I have no idea what size I will be.

But, good job!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5.5" and when I weighed about 130 I was wearing size 4 jeans and skirts from Banana Republic/Gap. I was wearing size 2 or XS shirts. Underwear from Victoria's Secret were size small.

I'm between 160 and 170 right now (major hormonal fluctuations from stopping breastfeeding, getting my period again...) and I'm wearing size 10 Old Navy jeans, medium shirts, and I need to go get some medium underwear.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I must have bigger hips than you. When I was 119 lbs I was a size 8.