I am starving on 1200 calories help !!

Options
Okay, so yesterday I took a day off from exercise. I want to take two days off a week to let my body rest. I usually take Wednesday and Saturday off. This works great for me except that on the days I don't exercise I have to stay at my 1200 calories. I do great on the days that I exercise, since I am able to eat more. However, on the days that I have to stay at my 1200 calories I am starving. Yesterday I did ok until around dinner time, then I was so hungry that I ended up eating WAY OVER my 1200 calories. Does anyone have any tips on how to make it through my days that I don't exercise?:huh:

Replies

• Keltinator
    Options
    on days when i don't get the chance to exercise, i drink a lot of water, because half the time when i think i'm hungry, i'm really just thristy! it's wierd lol. i also go for soups for lunch. i feel that they're very filling, and as long as you choose the right kind, they are low in fat, too! i focus on my meals and try my hardest not to snack.

hope i helped :)
  • tazspastic
    tazspastic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try waiting till about 10:30 to have breakfast and then carry on your day from there... it gives you a few less hours to survive on a tiny amount of food. Try to get plenty of protein so you feel full longer! I know how you feel, I am quite convinced that I will starve to death on my rest days! Drink lots of water, chew gum like an ex-smoker and stay busy busy busy! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    hmmm... have you ever thought that it may be boredom and that eating is a natural activity to occupy your mind? How about you pick a non-strenuous activity... just a thought
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    You may not be 'excercising' but I can guarantee that you're still pretty active, unless you're sitting on the couch all day. I'm always running around doing things at work, etc. On my non exercise days, I may not be ''working out'' but I'm still expending energy throughout the day. And that calls for food!

So really, if you're truly hungry, then listen to your body.
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Some advice from "YOU on a Diet" was to drink 8 oz. of water with 1 T. of psyllium OR snack on nuts a half hour before dinner. Both are suppose to fill you up so you don't need to eat as much to feel satisfied.

I haven't tried either but it popped in my mind when I read your post so I figured I'd share.
  • nogaks
    nogaks Posts: 5
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I tried water, but my stomach was really growling! I was thinking that maybe I am not eating enough vegetables?? Or....I dunno. I have heard that about half of what you eat should be vegetables (mind you, I heard this from a vegetarian, but I think it makes sense). It certainly can't hurt to try. :-) Unfortunately I don't love vegetables, but today I found that tiny amount of soy sauce can really hep make it more flavorful.
  • cheri822
    cheri822 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories and I was absolutely miserable and STARVING. My mom whom is in very good health told me I needed to up my calories to at least 1500. I did and not only was I full I lost more weight. Maybe you should try going to 1400 or more if you are feeling this way. It worked for me.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options
    I am having the same problem! I tried water, but my stomach was really growling! I was thinking that maybe I am not eating enough vegetables?? Or....I dunno. I have heard that about half of what you eat should be vegetables (mind you, I heard this from a vegetarian, but I think it makes sense). It certainly can't hurt to try. :-) Unfortunately I don't love vegetables, but today I found that tiny amount of soy sauce can really hep make it more flavorful.

Try adding some spices, and some garlic, ginger and it makes a huge difference. I also like veggies lightly steamed with lemon and salt and pepper. But then again, I'm pretty low maintenance!
  • mathilda12
    Options
    Try 6 meals a day... 3 regular meals and 3 snacks - mid morning, around 3 (when the hunger kicks in) and in the evening (when you have those hunger pangs... High protein is great. Try peanut butter on apples, on celery or on a toasted wheat waffle.

Good luck.
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I would try to increase the amount of protein you are eating and eat a lot of "filling" foods. Try to stay away from munching on a lot of carbs or something that will make you feel full for the moment but not 20 minutes later. Also look at your weight loss and see if you are happy with it. If it's going good maybe a few more calories on your rest day isn't a bad thing. You could try to eat a few less calories the day before you rest day and then eat a little more calories the next. I've heard you should look at your week, not only your day. You won't stick to the plan if you are miserable and hungry two days a week, so it's good you're seeking help and trying to make a plan!
  • bambi5014
    Options
    chewing gum, having a diet soda, or some hot tea helps me! I agree, its super hard to stay at 1200.
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories and I was absolutely miserable and STARVING. My mom whom is in very good health told me I needed to up my calories to at least 1500. I did and not only was I full I lost more weight. Maybe you should try going to 1400 or more if you are feeling this way. It worked for me.

Totally agree I started at 1200 and was hungry and was not losing weight then after some research I discovered that 1430 was the perfect number for me (thats without exercise) I have lost on average 1 pound per week sense I started this journey. You have to find the number that works for you and 1200 might not be it (remember to keep the weight off this has to be a lifestyle change and if you are starving and uncomfortable you will not stick with it )
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your great ideas!! I am going to try them. I already do chew gum, and I drink lots of water. I do wonder if it would work if I workout extra hard on the day before, and the day after my work out, and not eat all of my exercise calories on those days, if this would give me a little more room to add some calories on my rest days?
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good advice here! I think try to eat more fruits and veggies, whole grains, a little protein with almost everything, and if you are still hungry then up the calories.

Also, keep in mind that women tend to be hungrier at certain times in their monthly cycle. Listen to your body and give it what it truly needs! I think this is what most "naturally thin" people just do automatically!