P90X Any thoughts?

Options
Has anyone, with a significant amount of weight to lose, had success with this?

If y'all could post your:

start weight
exercise level at the beginning
current weight
where you are in the 90 days
Any thoughts on the program

I'd really appreciate it. I can see the success stories on the BeachBody website, but most of them were pretty fit to begin with and I can't help but think the reviews are a little bias.

Thanks so much :smooched:

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Lots of people have i'm sure. You could also get results by eating less, doing some mild cardio on treadmil\bike and doing a few days per week of weight training.
  • dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    To be honest, it's going to really depend on what you want to achieve. From what I've seen, read and done, P90X is a program made to bulk you up with weights. It will rip your arms, abs and legs by bulking them up. Awesome program if that's what you want to achieve. However, if you want to get fit, lean and tone up without muscle bulk, my personal opinion is that you would be better suited with Insanity. I tried P90X for a couple weeks and it was beyond my personal limits (just had 4 layer spinal fusion surgery prior to it) and I really didn't want to purchase all the equipment that was needed. If I ever get to the point where I want to build some serious muscle, I will go back to P90X. Right now, I'm doing Insanity because I want to lose weight, get lean and tone everything up. It's great for that and no extra equipment needed. I know that didn't answer your initial question, but it was just some food for thought I'd thought I'd throw out there.
    Dale
  • angeljamin
    angeljamin Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Dale- Thanks, your response is what I'm looking for! I will take another look at Insanity.

Have a wonderful day filled with lots of positive energy!
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    To be honest, it's going to really depend on what you want to achieve. From what I've seen, read and done, P90X is a program made to bulk you up with weights. It will rip your arms, abs and legs by bulking them up. Awesome program if that's what you want to achieve. However, if you want to get fit, lean and tone up without muscle bulk, my personal opinion is that you would be better suited with Insanity. I tried P90X for a couple weeks and it was beyond my personal limits (just had 4 layer spinal fusion surgery prior to it) and I really didn't want to purchase all the equipment that was needed. If I ever get to the point where I want to build some serious muscle, I will go back to P90X. Right now, I'm doing Insanity because I want to lose weight, get lean and tone everything up. It's great for that and no extra equipment needed. I know that didn't answer your initial question, but it was just some food for thought I'd thought I'd throw out there.
    Dale

It doesn't matter what program you do, or if you play super mario 76 all day. You're not going to bulk up if you're not eating more calories than you burn.

I'm about 2/3 into my 2nd round of P90X. It is an intense, six days per week program with instructions on how to eat depending on what you want to do with your body. The diet plan isn't specifically designed to promote weight loss or weight gain, but to fuel intense exercise. It is a plan designed to assist rookie "dieters" and exercisers with organizing their time and their nutrition. If you want to lose weight on P90X, it is extremely easy to design a particular life style around the exercise to make it work . . . so long as you stick to the exercise and the diet.

It works. Many programs can and will work if you understand them, and you stick to them. P90X is excellent for people who need an intense program and a diet, and have no idea how to start. It also comes with the baggage of an entire spamming network of moderately incompetent coaches trying to sell you products. Any routine you choose will require, eventually, you to stand on your own feet, summon your own will power, learn about health and nutrition, and not be swayed by avalanches of advertising zh1te.

P90X can be a great program. But it's like anything else: you need to learn and work to be successful at it.
  • angeljamin
    Options
    Quixo- You are awesome! Thanks for the advice and best of luck with all of your goals!
  • liza109
    liza109 Posts: 1
    Options
    start weight : 168 (size 14 bordering on 16)
    beginning exercise level : I am not sure what you mean but I have gone before P90X, I mostly did cardio 2 to 3 times a week for 30 minutes. I'd never used free weights but had used machines in the past at the gym. Besides, that I sat on my behind at work and home.
    current weight : 156 (size 12 and dropping, which I consider pretty good considering I haven't been able to stop going to taco bell every other week.)
    where you are in the 90 days: I've done P90X for two months so far. I plan to do the program a 2nd round.

Any thoughts on the program: I wish was familiar with Insanity so I could point out the differences but I all I can say is that I choose P90X because I wanted to lose weight and a toned core to be revealed when that weight came off.

Pros:
    - I like having a structured workout and eating plan that I didn't have come up with on my own. (It's one hour a day for six days, and I'll admit the rest of the time I end up sitting on the coach.)
    - The only equipment you really need is a resistance door anchor and some resistance bands. (I bought some free weights but it's not necessary.)
    -The DVDs show varies ways to perform the exercises. My favorite thing is the DVDS can be played with music and instructions, just instructions- no music, completely silent with cues to move on to the next exercise. (I love using my own music.)

Cons: most of these have to do with nutrition book b/c P90x was made to build on the results already achieved on P90 rather than for weight loss. P90 is the prequel which was made with weight loss in mind but everyone wants the newest and greatest so we buy P90X, at least I did.

- the nutrition book helps you calculate the calories you'll need on the program but doesn't mention anything about a calorie deficit to lose weight (so remember to reduce 250 to 1000 calories depending on your goals - I use a 500 calorie deficit)
    - the nutrition book has three options for a food plan but if you use the simplified version (the boxes that represent portions) then you're not actually getting the right about of protein, carbs, and fats. So I suggest to either follow the meal plan and recipes they lay out; or, do what I do, calculate the calories you need and then go onto myfitnesspal.com and customize your goals to reflect what you need.
    - The repetitiveness can get old but this is probably the case with any DVD program, which is another reason I like the 'silent with cues' feature on the DVDs. Currently, I've switched out the cardio DVDS like kenpo, yoga, and cardio syn for going out and doing something like tennis, jogging, basketball, etc. but I'll probably use them again during winter.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions. Take care!
  • angeljamin
    Options
    @ Liza- Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! What an awesome response! I really appreciate your attention to the details of the program.

I'm still looking into purchasing the program, when I do, I hope I can look forward to adding a new group of P90 friends.

Good luck with all of your goals!!!
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I just finished my second round of P90x. I have lost 25 pounds and 9 inches from my waist. I would have to disagree with the post that says do P90x if you want to bulk up. I have not bulked. But I have gotten stronger and my muscles are showing now NOT because I gained muscle on a deficit while trying to lose weight. But because I lost fat that is now allowing the muscle I had to show and it is harder/firmer. You will not bulk doing P90X unless you are eating at a surplus. Also, I did a hybrid I guess because I did not follow the schedule on the first round. Did weights one day and one of their cardio the next. Then when I got closer to goal weight I changed the second round and started lifting even heavier. I own a lot of work out tapes. Many are from beach body. P90X is my favorite because I have seen the most results with it than any other. Lifting weights and heavy weights is key to getting in toned. "just my opinion". :)
  • angeljamin
    Options
    @ Trying- I really appreciate the info. I heard from one other person about doing a hybrid of P90X/Insanity. I agree that "bulking up" happens when you do or don't do things in an effort to achieve a bulked up appearance. I think I'm sold! Best of luck to you on your second round and with all of your goals!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I realized my diet has a lot more to do with losing weight than my workouts, those are for toning and looking better in clothes vs lowering my scale number, they have meal recomenddations they send with your DVDs.
    I am doing it with a fit club 2 days a week. I am at 166lbs, 5'6" so overweight, but not extreme... It is a lot of work! I sweat even in the cool down phase and I LOVE it! I feel healthy and that I get better and better as well as more confident! They tell you to dig deep when you participate and it is so true, you get what you put into it!
    I don't think I would do it on my own, unless I got a heck of a deal. I like the accountability of being in the group. If I didn't have fit club I would continue with zumba and turbokick as part of a group.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, which is also a 90 day program. My friend has it and has been really enjoying it.
  • 1973CJ5
    1973CJ5 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed P90X, the structured work outs made me do some different things that I had not done before (yoga for one, I hated that disc). Has both strength and cardio training incorporated.

And it was fun to do, they were very motivational.

I enjoyed it and would recommend if you are looking for strength and muscle gains as well as a little bit of fat burning. If you want strictly cardio, I hear insanity is good.
  • jsharpnack
    jsharpnack Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I did just the p90x Kenpo work out today for the first time....it was hard but I did taekwodo for 4 years so I understood it. Would it be bad if that was the only p90 work out I could do and then did the treadmill on days off? Share your thoughts.....
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I did just the p90x Kenpo work out today for the first time....it was hard but I did taekwodo for 4 years so I understood it. Would it be bad if that was the only p90 work out I could do and then did the treadmill on days off? Share your thoughts.....

It's aerobic exercise, and it burns calories. It's a good routine. But in my opinion, a full program of exercise includes both aerobic and anaerobic routines practiced with regularity and intensity.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If tony Horton would shut up, the workouts would be a much more reasonable length, that is the only real problem I have with P90X
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    @ Trying- I really appreciate the info. I heard from one other person about doing a hybrid of P90X/Insanity. I agree that "bulking up" happens when you do or don't do things in an effort to achieve a bulked up appearance. I think I'm sold! Best of luck to you on your second round and with all of your goals!

Awesome! There are a lot of hybrids out there. Just google them and you will find the work out calendars for hybrids with Turbo Fire, Insanity, etc.. to mix in with P90X. Good Luck!!!!
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    If tony Horton would shut up, the workouts would be a much more reasonable length, that is the only real problem I have with P90X

I totally understand. People either love Tony or they hate him. His goofy talk that is. Me, I don't mind him. He actually cracks me up sometimes. But even the people who hate his voice still love P90X.
    This is why I love that the DVD's have a choice of either normal with music, normal without music, Silent, or silent with queues. I always pick silent with queues and play my own music. Then you only have to hear Tony when he telling you it's time to go to the next move.
  • maryleemcd
    Options
    I took the test to see if I could even do the P90x system (I passed--yeah). There are two avenues to the program. One to bulk up and the other to stay/get lean. So pick the one you want. I have all the stuff now and am actually starting my first work out tonight. My ultimate goal is to do a Tough Mudder in June 13 so need to get much fitter before that happens.