Busting my *kitten* and not losing anything. Help!

Options
Ok. I'm a 26 year old female and 148 pounds. Goal weight is 125. I work out 4 to 5 days a week and watch what I eat. My schedule pretty much consists of:

Monday:
45 minutes pilates
30 minutes cardio
30 minutes circuit strength training

Tuesday:
45 minutes pilates
60 minutes cardio

Wednesday:
45 minutes pilates
30 minutes cardio

Thursday:
45 minutes pilates
60 minutes cardio

Friday:
30 minutes cardio

Sometimes I may miss a pilates class or do only two days of circuit training but for the most part this is my routine. For the first month I was only doing an hour of cardio 5 days a week. Then 3 weeks ago I started adding the strength training. So I've been busting my *kitten* for about two months and I've lost a total of........2 pounds. :huh:

WHY?

I feel so freakin' discouraged and dragging my butt to the gym is getting tougher and tougher because I feel like it's not making any difference anyway! Yes, I have better endurance and stamina and my mood is better. I see my body getting maybe a tiny bit more toned and I can almost make out a six pack outline but it's covered with fat! Why wont this fat go away? What can I do to lose this weight that I'm not already doing?

My food intake. I'm diligent at recording my food monday through friday. I dont really keep too much track on some weekends and when I'm on my period. I dont go drinking often at all; maybe a couple times a month. I do have an occasional candy bar or cup of ice cream. I probably indulge a little about once a week. When I do "cheat" I watch my portions. Do I really need to cut all indulgences all together? I figure with all the calories I burn (on average 400 - 800 monday thru friday) I can afford to cheat sometimes. My calorie amount is set to 1200 and I usually stay within that range. I've tried both eating back my exercise calories and not eating them back. Do I need to be eating more? I've been doing a lot of research but I'm scared to up my calorie amount because I already have a hard time hitting a 1200 base sometimes.

I dont think this can be appropriately labeled as a plateau because you have to actually LOSE weight first to hit a plateau. I havent really begun to lose at all. Period. I even gained a pound or two during a couple of these weeks. I dont know what to do. :frown:

Replies

• daniellexcara
    daniellexcara Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump, i have almost the exact same problem. i work out at least 4 times a week and i eat well and after a month, NOTHING LOST.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    So if you don't track your food on the weekends or when you are having your period, that adds up to about 13 days a month, or more than a third of the time. I don't think that would be exactly considered diligent food tracking. Try a month of tracking everything you eat ALL the time and report back then.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    So if you don't track your food on the weekends or when you are having your period, that adds up to about 13 days a month, or more than a third of the time. I don't think that would be exactly considered diligent food tracking. Try a month of tracking everything you eat ALL the time and report back then.
    yep!

open your diary up and we can give you a lot more advice :)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Honestly, 105 minutes of exercise is an awful lot; so is burning between 400 to 800 calories. You likely are already creating a huge deficit from food. And let me understand this: you are struggling to even gross 1200 calories total?
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I do track most weekends. And some days during TOM. It's not like I'm eating totally differently during these days anyway, I'm just not as active on MFP during these days.
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Let us see what you are eating. Exercise is only half the total equation. A person can work their *kitten* off and not be losing totally because of their numbers being wrong(calorie-wise).

denise:drinker: :drinker:
  • 74Bauer
    74Bauer Posts: 1
    Options
    I am feeling the same way. Myfitnesspal says I am not getting enough calories,but I am not loosing. I walk 21/2 miles a day plus my other work, so I am not sitting on my duff.
  • deevatude
    deevatude Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    u do need to eat more or u need to cut down on exercise
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you either need to scale back your exercise, eat more, or train differently. It looks like your body could be over exhausted from that kind of working out. Do you have any of the symptoms of OverTraining Syndrome?
  • ChappyEight
    ChappyEight Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way. Myfitnesspal says I am not getting enough calories,but I am not loosing. I walk 21/2 miles a day plus my other work, so I am not sitting on my duff.

You answered your own question. Eat more.
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem and I know it's the food. Loosing veerrryyyy sssllllooooowwwllly. Guess I either go on an unsustainable meal plan or be patient. I'll be patient.
  • SocWkrBee
    SocWkrBee Posts: 374
    Options
    u do need to eat more or u need to cut down on exercise

This is what I am thinking. MFP sets your calorie goal so you can lose weight based on diet alone. Once you exercise it gives you those calories back to consume, should you choose to do so. You are very active and 1200 calories is barely enough to sustain you without all of that activity. With about 20 pounds to lose, I would think that a deficit for 1 to 0.5 lbs lost per week would be sufficient.

Hopefully some other more wise owls will chime in.
  • le20togo
    le20togo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is me exactly, though I have been doing it for six months!! I started doing an intense boot camp class in Jan this year, that is 3-4 days a week for 1 hr , then I try to do cardio or walking on other days. I recently injured my foot so I haven't been able to run much. I have noticed a difference in my stamina and how much I'm able to lift/do but no change in weight...slight change in inches. I have consistently stuck to 1200 calories, but recently decided I'm going to increase calories to 1800-2000 per day because nothing seems to be working. I only have about 15-20 lbs to lose, but its so discouraging!!! I'll let you know how the calorie increase goes...so far I've gained about 3 pounds but they say to give it 8 weeks, I have to force myself to eat sometimes cause I got used to eating so little. Hopefully this works!!
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Stop your current routine, take a 3 day break from any exercise except light walking, then change your routine and do something completely different. I had the same problem and I talked to a personal trainer who said that our bodies need to be challenged with new types of exercise and intensity so we don't adapt, or our weight loss will halt for a looong time. I'd highly recommend taking up a strength training class and do that 3-4x a week every other day, and add in a NEW form of cardio (dancing, elliptical, stair treadmill, anything), then do that for maybe...2 weeks. Then take another couple rest days and reevaluate from there.

The trainer I know is super smart and after I started taking his advice I've lost weight and inches already. It's so important to change it up! :)
  • jah0217
    jah0217 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had the calorie problem, and you need to start eating most of those calories back, your body is in starvation mode! I know how hard it is to eat that many calories, so try things like nuts, avacados, eggs, dairy, and meat. These are higher calorie items that aren't just "junk." I also try to cut out processed foods. I mean, have some salad dressing, but your main course should not come out of a can or package of any kind. Hope this helps!
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    try what the person before me said and changing it up and for 3 weeks eat at least 1/2 of your excersize calories back. IT takes a while for our bodies to get out of starvation mode.

i didn't look at your diary, but make sure you are getting enough protein with all your excersize. Try having carbs earlier in the day to get your metabolism going and then more protein the rest of the day. That has worked for me anyways. But for sure, 3 weeks! Your body has to reset from starvation mode.
  • Gregnwo
    Gregnwo Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree. Your body needs a good shock of something different. You should be continually changing up your routine and exercises otherwise your body learns the pattern and plateaus. It's one of those things that is so easy to fall into you have to be mindful of it.
  • shutterbabe
    shutterbabe Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Stop your current routine, take a 3 day break from any exercise except light walking, then change your routine and do something completely different. I had the same problem and I talked to a personal trainer who said that our bodies need to be challenged with new types of exercise and intensity so we don't adapt, or our weight loss will halt for a looong time. I'd highly recommend taking up a strength training class and do that 3-4x a week every other day, and add in a NEW form of cardio (dancing, elliptical, stair treadmill, anything), then do that for maybe...2 weeks. Then take another couple rest days and reevaluate from there.

The trainer I know is super smart and after I started taking his advice I've lost weight and inches already. It's so important to change it up! :)

I do alternate different cardios each time and change up the intensitys regularly. That circuit strength training I do is also different each day. I give myself a rest in between each strength training day and I rest two days on the weekends.
  • amrita0286
    Options
    My honest advice would be to maybe slow down on the exercise. Your body may be exhausted and since you are not fueling it properly, it may have gone into starvation mode, making it incredibly difficult for you to drop any weight.

My suggestion would be to start tracking down everything you are eating, even when you are on your period and even when you are snacking on the weekends. It's important to know exactly how many calories you are eating. You might be severely low in calories, since you're burning a whole lot from exercising daily OR you might be severely mistaken and are actually eating too much. Sometimes eating things high in sugar or processed packaged foods can contain a lot of calories even though they might appear to be healthy. So the only way to help you is to figure out where you are going wrong. I would start with these suggestions.

I'm losing weight and I'm not exercising as hard as you, the most I do is 75 minutes, so you might be exhausting yourself out. Also, try to change up your workouts, if your body gets too use to a certain workout, it becomes routine and harder to lose. That's why I alternate between cardio and hot yoga and it seems to be working for me.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Based on your comment that you are scared to up your calories as you already have a hard time eating 1200 calories, I'm going to guess that you have been eating well below your predicted maintenance range for quite a long time. You do that and you can wave your Resting Metabolic Rate goodbye and expect to lose true body fat at a snail's pace.