Runners unite...

Options
kidding... but, my question

how important is stretching to running? I will explain if need to, but I think the question says it all...

Replies

• redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    for me, I have to stretch, THEN do a warm up for I feel sluggish when I run. The stretching warms up my muscles and warms up my warm up.....I guess it sounds repetitive and anal, but works for me.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I find that just walking for a bit first, or even a light jog, is a much better warm up than stretching. If I don't have that option, then I do dynamic stretches only. Static stretches on cold muscles can actually be worse for you and should be left for post-workout stretching sessions.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrased to say that I never stretch; before or after. I do a 5 min warm up and cool down walk, but never stretch. Should I?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    My opinion, and the opinion of lots of runners much better than me, is that it is not only not important but can be counterproductive. I rarely stretch unless something feels sore or unusually tight. If I do stretch it is only a few ballistic stretches before the run and some static stretching afterwards.
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad at that! :(

I have been getting better ... maybe 50-60% of the time I now stretch ... but I just started running on my own and never got in a good habit ... I mean I do a warm up walk ... and technically stretch when I'm putting on my shoes ;) ...

But I really need to get better at that for injury sake (especially in the last few months when I've begun to take my running more seriously) ...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I find that just walking for a bit first, or even a light jog, is a much better warm up than stretching. If I don't have that option, then I do dynamic stretches only. Static stretches on cold muscles can actually be worse for you and should be left for post-workout stretching sessions.

^^This.

Except for IT band stretches. I do them diligently, after warming up. I had a series of injuries that could have been prevented if I learned the IT band lesson earlier.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I stretch my hips (I tend to get tight ITBs) and my calves before. And then do some standard static stretches after.
  • fbuschur
    fbuschur Posts: 57
    Options
    I never stretch. I usually start out slow until I warm up, but that is it. I have never had a problem.
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I lightly stretch out my calves, hamstrings and shoulders...takes about 2 minutes otherwise I sometimes get cramps part way through. Otherwise, I don't do much.
  • Krisengel
    Krisengel Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I never stretch, just do a 5 minute warm up walk and another 5 for a cool down walk. So far so good!
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If I dont stretch I get shin splints and groin pain.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    It's very important!!!
    Even if you just do a couple moves, that helps warm up muscles and tendons so that you won't get hurt.
    What happens when you bend a spaghetti uncooked it snaps, but cook it (ie warm it up) it gets bendy and moves freely.
    So you obviously won't break a leg, but if you've ever pulled a groin muscle you know how bad that hurts and how easily it could have been prevented by doing even 1 simple stretch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In terms of injury prevention there seems to be no difference between the stretchers and non-stretchers. In terms of performance there is some evidence suggestion (as Scott pointed out) that static stretching before a run may, in fact, impede performance.

Prior to running I'll warm up with a short dynamic stretching routine more just to get the muscles warmed up a bit and increase blood flow to my legs.

A little OT but there is strong evidence that runners benefit (injury prevention and performance) from core strengthening, strength training (all around but special attention to hips & glutes)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    static stretching after and dynamic stretching before. ALWAYS.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Post run, yes.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Stretching is so old school lol. Look up dynamic warm-ups on YouTube or anywhere on the internet. They are the way to go. Also Yoga is amazing stuff for the body.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't stretch.
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    so yoga with running would be bad... I mean doing yoga in the eve after a run. But would it work if I ran in the morning and Yoga in the eve?
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options

Agree!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I stretch a bunch after, but the only thing I stretch before is my IT band because it's being a *****.