Busting my *kitten* and not losing anything. Help!

Options

Replies

• knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you are serious about wanting to lose weight:

1. Start by educating yourself. If you are new, try starting here to learn more about the difference between your BMR and TDEE: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

Find where you need to be, usually 20% under your TDEE will give you weight loss. If you undercut that amount you are not adequately fueling your body, and will train your body to require less, which can slow your metabolism.

2. Understand that food is fuel. Your body needs it. Period.

3. Track more than weight. Consider other goals, not based on the scale. Measurements, endurance, etc.

4. Be patient. Give your body time (at least 4 weeks) to respond to changes.
  • nstenzer
    nstenzer Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    if you really are (and I can't vouch for your intake) creating that large of a deficit for that long of a time, even if your body is in a "starvation mode" you still will drop fat if it's over several months, it's just a slower process, so check your intake records including those you miss.

that said, is there any possibility you are building muscle at the same pace as losing fat? muscle is more dense, so if you're feeling/looking more toned you could be offsetting your fat loss with substantial muscle gain. if that is the case, i would turn the frown upside down ;-)

last thing, look into "wheat belly", it's a new hypothesis with the way the now ubiquitous dwarf wheat retains fat in the human body. if you're calorie intake is low, you probably are not consuming many carbs, but if you might steer clear of flour, that might help with the stubborn belly fat.

and with that, i think i'm out of ideas, good luck, keep up the good work and be prudent about your recording, cheers!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. Up those calories. You are not eating enough for the amount of exercise that you are doing. You've got to eat more to build muscle (and you wouldn't want all of your strength training to go to waste :)
  • viad25720
    viad25720 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think you may need to take a month or two off and start over. You have probably destroyed your metabolism! So let's say you eat 1200 cals one day, burn 800, your body has 400 cal to run off of when your bmr is probably around 2,000 cals +/- so that means you have about a 2-4 lb weight loss roughly just from cal deficit. But you have lost nothing. This means your body is in starvation mode. You need to reset yourself, stop all the exercise n low cal intake, be care free several weeks then start over. I'm not saying pig out and be lazy, just cool it down a lot. Let your body rest. Then, jump back I'm but try and make it so AFTER you subtract exercise you're at 1200 min. Should be about 1600-1700 to start and then work your way down. Hope this helps.
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    What you eat is as important as what you don't. If you feel you are stuck; try to experiment with your habits.

I highly recommend reading "The Primal Blueprint" by Mark Sisson. Even if you don't decide to follow a primal diet, there is some very good information in there about conventional wisdom of food and exercise.
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    food is 3/4 of it... open your diary... also, are you drinking enough water? that could also be a huge part of it
  • Yummamamma
    Yummamamma Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    measurements, measurements, measurments
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't get the point of this thread...

You already know the answer, and it seems you started the thread just to argue with people telling you that answer...

You are not eating enough to fuel those workouts, and you are not consistent with food intake tracking 43% of the time (TOM + weekends). Since diet alone is around 80% of the efforts towards losing fat (not just famishing, actual educated eating habits, sustainable and geared towards recovery), you are roughly sabotaging 35% of all your efforts on a monthly basis.

In this month's Triathlete magazine, a pro tracked his food intake for a week just for fun and ended up at 5900 calories. You are not there, but with 105 minutes of workout daily and not even intaking 1200 calories, it's just delusional to think you are doing anything else other than killing yourself for no reason or result.

To quote some cheesy Internet trendy saying : If you do what you've always done, you'll get the results you've always gotten. You tried this, doesn't work. Try something else.
  • starving2Bskinny
    Options
    I had the same problem, and around the same time I happened to get a blood test done and found out I had hypothyroidism which is a condition that slows your metabolism down, among other things. Once I got treated I began losing again by continuing with my routine.
    Hope this helps! :)
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Our bodies adapt very quickly to workouts. It could be that your body is just used to the cardio and pilates that you are doing every day. Try mixing up your workouts so you don't do the same workout twice in one week. Like this:
    Monday- Running and Upper Body Strength Training
    Tuesday- Elliptical
    Wednesday- Stairmaster and Lower Body Strength Training
    Thursday- Swimming
    Friday- Bicycling and Abdominal Strength Training
    Saturday- Play a Sport or go Hiking with Friends
    Sunday- Off Day

This should take care of your plateau if you continue the same eating patterns. :wink:
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    www.fit2fatradio.com

You're not eating enough calories, IMHO...
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    u do need to eat more or u need to cut down on exercise

This is what I am thinking. MFP sets your calorie goal so you can lose weight based on diet alone. Once you exercise it gives you those calories back to consume, should you choose to do so. You are very active and 1200 calories is barely enough to sustain you without all of that activity. With about 20 pounds to lose, I would think that a deficit for 1 to 0.5 lbs lost per week would be sufficient.

Hopefully some other more wise owls will chime in.

This is what I was thinking too!
    Also - talk with a pro. We are well meaning, but maybe you need a nutritionist to help you. Book a 30 min appointment - worth the money I think. (I am not a nutritionist or dietician!)
  • Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Are any of you...... cutting junk food....pop/soda?
    Try cutting more calories out of your daily limit.
    Eat small meals ever 2 hrs.
    DRINKKK LOTS OF WATER!

Its what IM DOING AND i just started july 1st.

Deff.. stay positive & know that you want this & why you want this

:)

Add me if anything.
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to be eating more calories, at least 1200-1500 calories/day for women, and you need to cut down on the exercise!!! You are burning way too much for what you are eating...you are creating a major deficiency here and that is affecting your body's hormones and chemical levels which can fluctuate your weight a lot when you are depriving yourself like this.
  • gussy92
    gussy92 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    hi my name Gary everyone calls me big G I WAS OVER 130KG IAM EX ARMY NOW IAM 93KG YOUR TRAINING IS GREAT IF YOU CAN TRY TO AND SOME SWIMMINIG 3TIMES A WEEK KEEP DOING YOUR CIRUIT TRAINNING THATS GREAT WITH YOUR DIET TRY 2 AND A PROTIEN DRINK AS A MEAL EVERY DAY 4 8 WEEKS AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT EAT AFTER 7PM SO WHEN YOU ASLEEP YOUR BODY BURNS FAT DONT HAVE A BIG TEA SMALL CUP OF VEGGIES AND A BIT OF PROTIEN AND TRY NOT 2 HAVE COFFEE @ NIGHT BECAUSE THE BODY STORES ALL THE CALARIES BUT YOUR DOING GREAT IT JUST TAKES TIME WHEN I FEEL DOWN ABOUT MY WEIGHT I LISTEN TO MUSIC WHEN I TRAIN IWANT TO GET BACK TO85KG BEFORE ALL MY INJURES YOU CAN DO IT JUST KEEP GOING AND LET NO ONE STOP YOU best of luck big G
  • Guines9
    Guines9 Posts: 137
    Options
    NOT TRUE. YOU ARE LOSING YOUR *kitten*! LOL
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    hi my name Gary everyone calls me big G I WAS OVER 130KG IAM EX ARMY NOW IAM 93KG YOUR TRAINING IS GREAT IF YOU CAN TRY TO AND SOME SWIMMINIG 3TIMES A WEEK KEEP DOING YOUR CIRUIT TRAINNING THATS GREAT WITH YOUR DIET TRY 2 AND A PROTIEN DRINK AS A MEAL EVERY DAY 4 8 WEEKS AND MAKE SURE YOU DONT EAT AFTER 7PM SO WHEN YOU ASLEEP YOUR BODY BURNS FAT DONT HAVE A BIG TEA SMALL CUP OF VEGGIES AND A BIT OF PROTIEN AND TRY NOT 2 HAVE COFFEE @ NIGHT BECAUSE THE BODY STORES ALL THE CALARIES BUT YOUR DOING GREAT IT JUST TAKES TIME WHEN I FEEL DOWN ABOUT MY WEIGHT I LISTEN TO MUSIC WHEN I TRAIN IWANT TO GET BACK TO85KG BEFORE ALL MY INJURES YOU CAN DO IT JUST KEEP GOING AND LET NO ONE STOP YOU best of luck big G

This girl is busting her *kitten*, with no results and your solution is more excersize? Not eating after a certain hour is a myth and a silly one at that, and i've never heard of coffee being the reason the body stores calories... where do you get your information?
  • zumbaa45
    Options
    I work out twice a day teaching Zumba. I am also an Herbalife Wellness Coach and the reason I became involved with Herbalife is because I along with so many others had so much success with it! so anyhow, when I want to lose I do two shakes a day, & one meal along with a few snacks of whatever I want...keeping the calories under my BMR, I try to eat enough protein because your body works harder breaking down protein than it would anything else. I also add in the calories I burn working out & eat those too. Using My Fitness Pal, helped me tremendously because I would get caught up & confused when trying to calculate my exercise & making sure that I do eat enough...anyhow, great luck to you!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Stop your current routine, take a 3 day break from any exercise except light walking, then change your routine and do something completely different. I had the same problem and I talked to a personal trainer who said that our bodies need to be challenged with new types of exercise and intensity so we don't adapt, or our weight loss will halt for a looong time. I'd highly recommend taking up a strength training class and do that 3-4x a week every other day, and add in a NEW form of cardio (dancing, elliptical, stair treadmill, anything), then do that for maybe...2 weeks. Then take another couple rest days and reevaluate from there.

The trainer I know is super smart and after I started taking his advice I've lost weight and inches already. It's so important to change it up! :)

I do alternate different cardios each time and change up the intensitys regularly. That circuit strength training I do is also different each day. I give myself a rest in between each strength training day and I rest two days on the weekends.
    change intensities, NOT movements. How much faster has your 5k run time gotten since you started working out. How much stronger are you at bench press since you started working out? If your answer is they havn't changed, then you're just doing the same old every day. regardless of 'switching it up'

Push to improve on whatever you did before each and every time you work out.
  • Jmariemiller
    Jmariemiller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You may want to try cutting out ALL dairy products and see if that helps. As we age our bodies really lose the ability to properly digest dairy, in fact most adults have a form of dairy allergy that shows itself by hanging onto excess weight and bloat. I cut my dairy consumption in half and noticed a HUGE difference. If the dairy doesn't work, try gutting out glutten next as that may also be the culprit.