When did you start seeing weight loss?

Options
Hello everyone! I'm curious about how long it takes people to start seeing weight loss. I have only been at this a week and I know I should be patient, but I have to admit that I'm frustrated. I have been working out 3-4 times a week (Zumba) and have cut my calories each day - I saw a nutritionist and she suggested I stick to 1500 calories a day. I haven't been perfect, but I have been under my calorie goal everyday (on average 300-500 calories under). All this, and I have not even lost a pound! Any thoughts?

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    With all that Zumba I'm surprised you aren't FEELING it with better muscle tone. The weight will come.
  • dontyousonicme
    Options
    Here's the thing with calories, 3500 calories add up to 1 pound of fat. That means that you have to cut out 3500 calories to lose even one pound, which can take a while. ESPECIALLY if you don't know how many calories you were getting on a daily basis before starting to ~diet~ or count calories or whatever, and even more so because weight loss is a really personal thing, so even if you cut 3500 calories in a week you may not actually lose that pound until you've cut more then 4000, who knows.
    Another thing to consider is that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you're working out more than usual (especially with weights or intense cardio) then you might be building muscle along with losing fat. In that case, you wouldn't see your weight go down just yet, but you may start to notice some differences in your body.
    I'm in the same position as you, I've only been on the site for about a week, and I'm anxious to see results, but if you keep at it, track/exercise/etc, you should start seeing something soon (I'm hoping).
    SO YEAH.
    Keep at it.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I started seeing weight loss within 2-3 days of changing my diet to a whole foods, plant based diet. When i was trying just exercise, with no dietary change, i never saw results in the first few weeks.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    You are exercising a lot and cutting calories significantly, your body wants to hang onto fat, it wants to survive.

Eat more whole, natural, filling food and exercise less would be my advice.

But I am not a nutritionist ;)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The "Create a 3500 weekly calorie deficit = you WILL lose 1lb fat" thing has no basis in science, by the way ...

http://www.zoeharcombe.com/the-knowledge/20-diet-myths-busted/

No basis.

Whatsoever.
  • alimak21
    alimak21 Posts: 20
    Options
    I have no idea how many calories I was eating before, but I know it was more than 1500 calories. I was snacking a lot more before and eating much larger portion sizes. I appreciate everyone's support on here! I know it's only been a week, but I honestly expected to see SOME change. Why is it so easy to gain weight and so hard to lose it!?:flowerforyou:
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I took a look at your Diary and you might want to cut back on the carbs some.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i find it is very hard for me to see it myself. i look the same to my own eyes as always: lovely and brilliant (if i do say so, myself).

when i look in the mirror i mostly look the same. i can see it a little in my face, or in places where bones naturally stick out (wrists, knees & collar) but other than that i feel like i look exactly the same, for better or worse.

and i'm down over 50lbs, 35 of it since may. from 5 years ago (my highest weight), down well over 80lbs. but i still don't "see it" and i never really saw it negatively anyway.
  • irishcanadianwoman
    Options
    By "seeing it" do you mean a number on a scale? Not sure about that because I don't weigh myself often. I judge by clothing! Other people started to notice my weight loss around the 8 pound mark.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    take measurements! I've only lost 3 lbs but several inches!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    it took me a month to feel different, about 2 to start noticing it, and now 3 to start reaping benefits from it, clothes fit better, some dont fit at all, and it looks like pretty soon i'll be shopping for some clothes in new sizes. so it takes a while, but KEEP AT IT. measuring tape helped me to notice the changes my first month (that was the most dramatic shift in my proportions, now its just slow and steady in my measurements)
  • alimak21
    Options
    Great idea to take measurements! I think seeing some change would be encouraging. :smile:
  • alimak21
    Options
    I agree. Believe it or not, I have cut down on carbs already, but I didn't think I would be able to cut it down all at once. Any suggestions of ways to cut down without feeling too deprived?
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    In the first week I saw a 5lb drop. I stupidly thought this was the normal amount to lose each week(I wish it were).
  • csdmnstr
    Options
    it took me a month to feel different, about 2 to start noticing it, and now 3 to start reaping benefits from it, clothes fit better, some dont fit at all, and it looks like pretty soon i'll be shopping for some clothes in new sizes. so it takes a while, but KEEP AT IT. measuring tape helped me to notice the changes my first month (that was the most dramatic shift in my proportions, now its just slow and steady in my measurements)

I agree, using a measuring tape in combination with a scale keeps me going; my scale also gives me a fat, water, muscle reading with BMI and approx Calorie intake to maintain. I don't swear by it, but it does seem to be fairly accurate. It may take a full year for me to hit my target weight -- that's the only thing I keep in mind when it's slow going on the scale. So, I keep small goals in mind, to help me stay on target... Like cutting soda out of my diet; or using alternatives while cooking/baking.
  • neilegni
    neilegni Posts: 36
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm curious about how long it takes people to start seeing weight loss. I have only been at this a week and I know I should be patient, but I have to admit that I'm frustrated. I have been working out 3-4 times a week (Zumba) and have cut my calories each day - I saw a nutritionist and she suggested I stick to 1500 calories a day. I haven't been perfect, but I have been under my calorie goal everyday (on average 300-500 calories under). All this, and I have not even lost a pound! Any thoughts?

If you're eating goal is 1500 and you're only eating around 1000, you might be eating too little. Maybe try boosting your calories and really shoot for that 1500. Lots of people have found themselves struggling to lose on very few calories but have started losing when they start to eat more.

Also, weight training is really good for reshaping your body and making fat loss noticeable--even if the scale isn't moving. :)
  • alimak21
    Options
    I am eating 1500 calories, just not eating back the calories I lose from exercise.