How Much is Too Much: SODIUM?

Options
Just wondering. I always seem to go over the daily intake of sodium and it's past the goal a lot or too little (depending on the day).

How much is too much? What's the right amount to have in a day?

I notice some people on MFP say the protein goals are too low so I was wondering if the sodium was too.

It seems to be impossible to meet my calorie goal of at least 1200 and not go over the sodium level. D:

Replies

• cardsfanlv
    cardsfanlv Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to how much is too much, but its helpful to drink water and balance out the sodium with more potassium. So when I go overboard, I try to have couple extra servings of water.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Just wondering. I always seem to go over the daily intake of sodium and it's past the goal a lot or too little (depending on the day).

I notice some people on MFP say the protein goals are too low so I was wondering if the sodium was too.

It seems to be impossible to meet my calorie goal of at least 1200 and not go over the sodium level. D:

No... the sodium is not too low. In fact, many doctors suggest that their patients follow a 2000mg sodium diet. It is hard, if you're eating a lot of processed foods. I know it's hard, but it can be done. Don't look at me for an example, my sodium has been through the roof for the last couple days :wink: But I'm generally under 2500...
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    If you dont have any other health problems 2500 mg is recommended. I have to try and keep mine under 1500 mg some days I do better than others but just drink extra water when I do go over
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    the auto set level on mfp for sodium is the mayo clinic guideline i think, or some kind of health association guideline. i found i lost a LOT of bloat/water weight just from sticking close to 2500 a day. i definitely feel the days i go over and it reflects on the scale.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an issue with blood pressure or anything related to heart issues. Sodium usually isn't an issue.
    I am almost never within my set limit for sodium. I am still managing to lose weight though. But I usually go between 2500-6000mgs of sodium. It just depends on what im having. I drink 1-2 gallons of water a day and sweat pretty good as well. So it helps with the sodium levels and water retention.
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    the auto set level on mfp for sodium is the mayo clinic guideline i think, or some kind of health association guideline. i found i lost a LOT of bloat/water weight just from sticking close to 2500 a day. i definitely feel the days i go over and it reflects on the scale.

I did as well. As soon as I joined MFP, before I lost a significant amount of weight, I noticed my clothes fit better, just because I was drinking more water and my sodium intake was lower. I was consuming something like 4000mg of sodium a day - too much processed crap.

I looked at your diary. Yours looks pretty good! Your only over by a bit here and there. You do get lots of fruits and veggies, it's when you do eat the processed meat here and there that it goes over. All in all, it looks good! :smile:
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    you can check my diary... most of the time I'm under the sodium requirement, and my calories are set currently to 1370 (lose 1 pound a week)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    2,500 is the general maximum health recommendation. You need some in your diet, but on avaerage you shouldn't be exceeeding this and you won't be unless you're eating a lot of processed food.

Might be a bit of a wake-up call to review what you are eating, maybe - but it depends what your aims are. If you are only looking to lose weight, then unless sodium affects your water retention (which does seems to be quite common) then it doesn't really matter. However if you're also considering overall health then maybe have a rethink.
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options

No... the sodium is not too low. In fact, many doctors suggest that their patients follow a 2000mg sodium diet. It is hard, if you're eating a lot of processed foods. I know it's hard, but it can be done. Don't look at me for an example, my sodium has been through the roof for the last couple days :wink: But I'm generally under 2500...

That's the thing, I don't eat much processed food, except for if I eat out, but I eat out at "All Natural" places.

Oh well, I guess I need to look more closely at those labels. :P
  • Rachelle_Ohh
    Rachelle_Ohh Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! :D

It is weird, since I've been on MFP, I've never really given much thought to how much of various things were in my food. I would eat somewhat healthy (in regards to types of foods), but not realize I sabotaged it with too many carbs/sodium mgs/cals/etc.

I noticed my clothes do fit better, but I feel like I gained back all the water weight due to sodium. Well, I really need to watch it from now on.
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    I always go over. Its always from things like crumpets and other complex carbohydrate sources. The processed microwave meals are always relatively good on sodium contrary to what most of MFP state. Maybe I just get the good ones?
  • amolina0810
    amolina0810 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I manage to keep my sodium around 1000mg or lower 90% of the time. I NEVER go over 1500mg that is for sure! I eat a ton of fruits, veggies, almonds, boneless skinless chicken breast, extra lean ground turkey, some dairy. Sodium is the first thing I look at on a nutrition label!!! When I see huge amounts I freak out and put it back on the shelf!!! I never retain water either after cutting my sodium back!!! But don't get my wrong, I have the once in a blue moon restaurant meal that is loadeddddd with the crap!
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    It's about relative intake not absolute intake. It really doesn't matter if you are consistent with your intake. The body wants to maintain homeostasis, however homeostasis is delayed from a few hours to days. If you were eating 2500mg of sodium daily and then suddenly you go and eat 8000mg your body of course will have excess salt and cause water retention, and other health problems. The body then wants to flush out the excess sodium by increasing urine volume and the sodium lost through urine. Doing that will need more water so it makes you thirsty. The problem comes with inconsistency where one meal is high sodium and the rest of your diet is low sodium. However if you were to keep your sodium to say for example 6000mg a day homeostasis will take care of the rest and it would be the same as if you were eating 2500mg a day(this includes water retention, blood pressure, ect).

so to be consistent you could either eat no sodium ever, nothing processed, nothing out to eat. OR you could keep your sodium high everyday as long as it is consistent. consistency is key.

IF you do choose to increase your sodium intake remember you will see water retention for a few hours to even days for some individuals because again homeostasis is not instant and it is delayed.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    If water retention is you're issue just eat more potassium.

Everytime you sweat you are expelling sodium and these need to be replenished. So people who are regularly exercising hard will require more than the RDI.

If you have high blood pressure then I'd definitely stick to the RDI's.

A spike day in sodium/potassium ratio is what will cause water retention which can mask fat loss (if the scale is you're only indicator). However, as long as you are in calorie deficit you will still lose weight.
  • Meraid
    Meraid Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I never come close to going over sodium >< I can tell when something has a lot of sodium but then I don't eat a lot of junk food. Everyone in my family puts salt on everything and I never do. So I guess follow what the other posters of said but it's odd to me cause I usually eat maybe? 1000mg a day.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Chris Davey told me to take 1 gram of potassium with every meal.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I manage to keep my sodium around 1000mg or lower 90% of the time. I NEVER go over 1500mg that is for sure! I eat a ton of fruits, veggies, almonds, boneless skinless chicken breast, extra lean ground turkey, some dairy. Sodium is the first thing I look at on a nutrition label!!! When I see huge amounts I freak out and put it back on the shelf!!! I never retain water either after cutting my sodium back!!! But don't get my wrong, I have the once in a blue moon restaurant meal that is loadeddddd with the crap!

May want to make sure you eat more sodium if you sweat a lot during workout activity.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i too have probelms with sodium. The other day i went over by 2000 damn you soup. Today i was over by 500 so i did better. I can not afford the best foods all the time but i am still loseing weight.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Chris Davey told me to take 1 gram of potassium with every meal.

LOL. Don't confuse people!

BTW sodium is a required micronutrient and not getting enough is not a good thing either.

Also, you can overdose on potassium so don't just down the sweet potatoes for the sake of it :tongue:
  • lick_broccoli
    Options
    Note* Any food under 140mg of sodium is considered "low sodium".