Exercise and Fitness video games

Options
I am sure some you do some of the many exercise video games and I am looking for some suggestions for what to buy. I have a wii and I already have wii fit plus with the balance board. I also have a ps3 with the the motion controls. I am a 35 yr old male looking for something different to add to my cardio and core. Thanks

Replies

• awenske1
    awenske1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't know how comfortable you'd be with this, but zumba & dance games are great. I burn 1000 calories an hour with my zumba video game. It seems silly, but if you workout alone, you might as well try it. It makes time go by really fast too! =)
  • Cdposey26
    Cdposey26 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I am comfortable with zumba, but thats what I was thinking so maybe I will just have to get comfortable with it, because I am tired of this being fat stuff. It seems zumba is pretty popular, thanks for the suggestions
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm a Michael Jackson fan so got "MJ Experience" for Wii - but there are several dance programs for the Wii, so check 'em out. I use Just Dance, too. Good way to burn some calories, and fun. Good luck!
  • lisamarie327
    lisamarie327 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love Michael Jackson Experience for the Wii and Kinect...my favorite.
  • Cdposey26
    Options
    I do like Michael Jackson and that game is only $10 on amazon for the PS3, so I will check that one out for sure
  • Cdposey26
    Options
    Do you need the zumba belt to play the game or does it make it easier/better to play?
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I am not sure I am comfortable with zumba, but thats what I was thinking so maybe I will just have to get comfortable with it, because I am tired of this being fat stuff. It seems zumba is pretty popular, thanks for the suggestions

Try renting Zumba first, RedBox, Blockbuster box or something like that. I did and found I am just not coordinated enough to get any value.
    I use the EA Active 2.
    It's not a game, but it's easy to use.
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/113/1139719p1.html
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    I use "My Fitness Coach" for the Nintendo Wii. I've been using it since I started losing weight and it's my main (and pretty much only) source of exercise. It's a really great fitness game and I'd recommend it. You give it your measurements, then for every 11 workouts, you update it with your current measurements. You can do yoga, cardio, upper body, core body, lower body or flexibility; and it will tailor your workout if you're just wanting to be healthy or if you're trying to lose weight (Like I've been doing). Throughout each workout, it'll ask you how it was. If it was too easy, they'll hike up the toughness or if you couldn't keep up, they'll lower the hardness. Or if you were working hard, the level will stay the same. You can choose 15, 30, 45, 60 or 75 minute workouts as well. Seriously, I find it really great!
  • Cdposey26
    Options
    I didn;t realize redbox had video games, thanks for the suggestion, I will check it out.
  • Cdposey26
    Options
    I use "My Fitness Coach" for the Nintendo Wii. I've been using it since I started losing weight and it's my main (and pretty much only) source of exercise. It's a really great fitness game and I'd recommend it. You give it your measurements, then for every 11 workouts, you update it with your current measurements. You can do yoga, cardio, upper body, core body, lower body or flexibility; and it will tailor your workout if you're just wanting to be healthy or if you're trying to lose weight (Like I've been doing). Throughout each workout, it'll ask you how it was. If it was too easy, they'll hike up the toughness or if you couldn't keep up, they'll lower the hardness. Or if you were working hard, the level will stay the same. You can choose 15, 30, 45, 60 or 75 minute workouts as well. Seriously, I find it really great!

Is that part of wii fit or something different? I guess I could start by using what I have if thats the case. I remember setting it up when I first bought it but didn't really use it. I have one of the biggest loser games, but don't really care for it.
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options

Is that part of wii fit or something different? I guess I could start by using what I have if thats the case. I remember setting it up when I first bought it but didn't really use it. I have one of the biggest loser games, but don't really care for it.

No it's completely separate from the Wii Fit (:
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Also, my favorite part about the EA Active 2 is that you can do a 9 week program and it ramps you up slowly to tougher exercise It comes with a HRM, it's not stellar, but it gets the job done and you can see your progress over time.
    You can also create your individual workouts that you want to do, if you want.
    There are a couple of EA Active 2 groups on MFP as well for people, you can see workouts that people have created and ask for help as well.

Good luck! :)

*Oh yeah, you also use the Wii board a bit and you weigh in using the board.
  • fbuschur
    fbuschur Posts: 57
    Options
    I have a great time playing "Just Dance" with my kids :) We have Just Dance 1 and Just Dance 3.
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Kari_L_Moore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There is a UFC game out, but I don't know if it's only kinect (XBox) or not, but that might be fun. If you like Jillian Michaels, I think she has a workout game, or there's always dance games. Dance Central starts off easy and as you progress the moves get harder, so you don't have to be super coordinated to play and it will track your calories burned too.
  • Cdposey26
    Options
    Thanks for the responses, that gives me a starting point to a couple good titles.