Dealing with menstrual and exercising

Options
I get really bad cramps.. but i want to go to the gym.. the problem is that 1 im in pain.. 2 i get lazy to leave my house cause all i wanna do is lay in bed and do nothing... but i dont like missing out on lifting days... What exercise can i do at home? Is it ok to exercise thru the pain? thanks for the help..

Replies

• sharrison1969
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I find that walking and lifting light weights at home are good. i also do stretching exercises.
  • GabsMommy28
    GabsMommy28 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know just how you feel! Ever since I had my son my TOM have been killer. The last thing I want to do when dealing with such bad cramps is exercise. But I know from experience that certain ones, especially with a good amount of stretching and lots of water actually make the cramps a bit better. But the actually getting up to do them ... not so much.
    Maybe try a heating pad for a bit before hand and then do a workout dvd that involves weights on those not so pleasant days?
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    The only way I miss a workout is if I'm doubled-over with cramps which thankfully, doesn't happen too often or due to heavy blood flow, obviously. Other than that, I do workout but if energy is a little low, I'll dial it down on the intensity a bit.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I empathize. I get monster cramps too. I find that exercising really helps...after I've taken some advil, drank a lot of water, and put one of those sticky heating pads on (I LOVE those).

Those are generally days that I'm not shooting for a stellar workout - they're just "get it done" days.

Walking is always good...and low impact...also, maybe biking.
  • brodyrose
    Options
    Thank you all for the help, the tips, and understanding my pain... being on my menstrual ****ing sucks.. but i want to keep working out and try to deal with the pain.. thanks again ladies
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I've actually found that my workouts help mine. I'm on BC so I'm on a pretty set schedule where I always start on a Wednesday and and it's pretty much done by Sunday morning.

Thursday's are usually the worst for me and that's my combo night, strength and a three mile run. If I have to, I take a Midol (or whatever my store brand version is called) and get to it. I always feel better after. Fridays ate actually my scheduled rest days from working out though, so that's usually fairly convenient.

Maybe just experiment with different things and see what helps and what doesn't. Then, when you know it's coming, structure your workout to fit around your best and worst days.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    :explode: It annoys me so much that we have to put up with this.
    I've just taken two paracetamol and two ibuprofen and I'm going to go to the gym if it kills me.