Any other diabetics out there using these boards?

Options
Am a Type II diabetic, recently changed from Byetta to insulin - and awaiting the usual Type II 'standard' (or some I'm told by the medical profession) increase in weight.

Problem is I really don't want it, but only have so much willpower - I know I need to change the meds, but I also had a heart attack three years ago, so for me its not just simply 'control the diabetes' - it has to be a balance between that and weight gain that increases my heart problems - real tightrope sometimes!!!

Would love to chat with anyone with similar problems out ther - sometimes just feels like a losing battle!!!

Replies

• mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I don't have Type 2 myself but my husband does. It is a really hard thing to deal with. For him he LOVES his starchy foods and we know those are not always the best things to have. The best thing I can tell you food wise, is pay attention to your body and your blood levels. My hubby reacts negatively to pasta's, potatoes, and rice, especially any whole grain food after 3 p.m. He also walks in the pool for his exercise, it is really low impact and the best thing that one can do if you have any limitations that won't allow you to speed up your heart rate.
  • 1BRIGHTCHICK
    1BRIGHTCHICK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just learned of my Diabetes on 7/28 after experiencing DKA with a glucose of 998. Somehow, I drove myself to the hospital and stayed in ICU for 6 days as a result of this new discovery. I also have PCOS, and just 6 months ago, my Endocrinologist said I was pre-diabetic, but that's all. Well, my Pancreas in my doctor's words decided to "poop out" and stop producing insulin. Hence, the episode on 7/28.

So, I've been home since 8/3 and it's been a total lifestyle adjustment to say the least. I now take a very high dosage of Insulin 4 times a day, I ride the stationary bike 30 minutes a day in the morning, cook almost every day, eat 6 times a day, my eyes change almost every day, my right ankle or foot hurts when it feels like it, and my blood sugar drops ridiculously about 1-2 times a day. With all that said, I'm pretty accepting of the new lifestyle change and am just ready to get back to some type of normalcy. Besides being overweight and having PCOS, my father and grandfather who recently lost his leg both have Diabetes, so there was no reason for me to be surprised by the recent diagnosis. I'm just grateful that I made it to my 37th birthday last Friday! I'm home on short-term disability until Sept 7th bored out of my mind. Since my body continues to go through change, I'm pretty glad I'm not experiencing these changes at work. Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to sharing experiences here with other Diabetics. Keep your heads up, and sugar levels stable! We're not alone!

TK
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Kari_L_Moore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just got told I am pre-diabetic. So any help you guys can give me on foods would be greatly appreciated. :) I decided to lose weight about 2 months ago to avoid getting Type II since it runs in my family. Feel free to friend me if you want.
  • Chipper10sgal
    Options
    I actually just learned yesterday that I am type 2. My Glucose level was 142, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with it....I've looked at meal plans that guide you through it, but a vast majority of it are things I'm already eating, so I'm stumped, what now?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I actually just learned yesterday that I am type 2. My Glucose level was 142, and I'm a bit overwhelmed with it....I've looked at meal plans that guide you through it, but a vast majority of it are things I'm already eating, so I'm stumped, what now?

Log your food on here, look at the carbohydrates column, take out the high carbohydrate foods in order to reduce your blood sugar levels.

Less cake, cookies, bread, pasta, pastry, chips, cookies, potato, sweets, sugar, fruit, soda etc etc
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    bloodsugar101.com is a really nice website. It really helped me learn to eat to my meter!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Am a Type II diabetic, recently changed from Byetta to insulin - and awaiting the usual Type II 'standard' (or some I'm told by the medical profession) increase in weight.

Problem is I really don't want it, but only have so much willpower - I know I need to change the meds, but I also had a heart attack three years ago, so for me its not just simply 'control the diabetes' - it has to be a balance between that and weight gain that increases my heart problems - real tightrope sometimes!!!

Would love to chat with anyone with similar problems out ther - sometimes just feels like a losing battle!!!

Insulin does cause a weight gain. One way a doctor can tell if you are keeping good control of your sugars is by your weight. Too many high sugars = weight loss. Too many low sugars = weight gain.

However, once you get your insulin levels adjusted, so you aren't having the lows (which require you to eat), you can maintain and lose weight just like anyone else.
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed type II a little over a year ago. I got onto this website and got it under control.. No meds, completely controled by diet and exercise. yaaaaaayyy me.. :bigsmile:
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed a year ago last May. I had SO much trouble trying to keep my sugar down for the first year but when I came here, everything fell into place. Its SO easy to keep track of your carbs as well as your other macros. My fasting sugar is consistently below 100....usually in the 70-80 range...its used to be anywhere from 120-140. I am off the metformin, unless I want to take it to help with my weight loss and hope to get off the other meds by next year.
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed this past May, on metformin 500x2....found MFP and hoping to lose the meds I'm on (or at least cut them down) and lose the diagnosis (one can hope!!). Also have htn, cholesterol issues. I test 1x daily, 2 hrs pp (dinner) as my insurance won't cover 100 strips a month.

Logging daily is your best friend. If you bite it -write it.
  • 1BRIGHTCHICK
    Options
    I was pre-diabetic most of my life until the pre was dropped. My suggestion for you is to exercise daily. I know it sounds cliche, but a body in motion is the ticket towards optimum health. I was only exercising maybe 1 - 3 times a week when I was "pre-diabetic". Another thing is to be carb aware, but not a carb counting crazy. I find it easy to stay between 30-60 grams of carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and between 15-30 grams of carbs during my snacks. With the health labels on pretty much everything now, just stick to the recommended serving sizes. Much easier than I thought!
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic. I was diagnosed 8 years ago. I successfully controlled it with a low carb diet. South Beach worked very well. I lost about 70 pounds that first year. Then, I stopped being careful and slowly put it all back on over the past 5 years. I completely ignored it all for about a year and a half. Starting the beginning of May I pulled myself together and started back on a very low carb diet with my doctor's oversight. My blood glucose level was averaging over 200. Since then I have lost about 40 pounds. (I didn't weigh myself at the beginning so I am guesstimating my starting weight.) My average bgl is in the 140's. Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment. My doc is thrilled with my progress. My A1C is 6.5. YEAH. My doc suggested that I check out MyFitnessPal. So here I am.
  • SanjiSun
    SanjiSun Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Was diagnosed as Type 2 on July 18, my 1AC was close to 10, my fasting blood sugar that day 244.
    Felt bad for a couple of hours, then decided that I will not take meds as long as possible by controlling it by dieting and exercise.
    Enjoyed 3 more days of eating my favorite unhealthy foods, then started to change my diet and take walks.
    Within 10 days my fasting blood sugar was down to 100.
    Then added strength training (3x a week 1 hour), and currently I average 82 over the day (4 measurements).

Next goal: stop smoking. That will be harder than the eating and the exercise. I will stop as soon as I reach 86 kg, so roughly 3 kg or 3 weeks to go.
  • 1BRIGHTCHICK
    Options
    Lauradotts,

Very inspiring story. Keep up the motivation and effort towards better health. This site has been a great source of inspiration as I journey through this lifestyle change.
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Options
    Ok. So I've been at this for a week and most days I did ok. I was bad yesterday and today, but physically feel lousy for it, so this should be workable. I also have a couple of diabetic ladies at work who are helping me out with what to eat, and I'm really good about logging in what I eat so I just look at the nutrition labels now to for carbs and sugars. I FINALLY came in under the MFP sugar goal for once. I was soooooo proud of myself. Now I just need to keep that up. :) How is everyone else doing?
  • Kari_L_Moore
    Options
    Oh and how do I get my ticker in my signature for the posts? Help me out! :)
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    I was diagnosed type II a little over a year ago. I got onto this website and got it under control.. No meds, completely controled by diet and exercise. yaaaaaayyy me.. :bigsmile:

I have been using diet and exercise since 2000 to control diabetes. It does work. I take no meds (for diabetes).
  • Trulee55
    Trulee55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the responses - am not feeling quite as desparate as I was a couple of weeks ago.

Had DSN appt today - she's going to try and get a new meds regime signed off for me tomorrow as I HAVE put on 4kg in the last 6 weeks even though I'm not going over the 'maintenance' level of 1880 calories a day that MyFitnessPal is suggesting for me.

Fingers crossed it works - she had a look at my food diary for the last few weeks and can't see why the weight should be going up, so we're just going to have to hope a change will start it in the right direction.
  • louise731
    Options
    Hi all. I've been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I also have HBP, I'm obese and have circulatory problems. Last time I was at the doctors, we had a nice long chat and one of the things we talked about was a possible neuropathy. Now I'm getting really nervous. Having to watch carb intake and calorie intake seems to be a daunting task. I've gotten so lazy... Anyway, I'm here now and I've recently quit smoking. That part is going well, its food I have a problem with. I LOVE TO EAT!!! Its not eating, but WHAT I'm eating, and how much of it I'm eating that are the issues. Moving forward... Feel free to join me on my journey.