Nuts and Meat for breakfast?

Options
Hey guys,

So I have heard a little bit about nuts and meat being the best breakfast to have, however I am not sure for what exact reasons it has this reputation.

Has anyone switched to this and never looked back? If so, why? I had kangaroo, walnuts and egg whites for breakfast. A little higher in calories than my usual breakfast however I thought I would give it a go.

I guess it makes me look a little stupid to tweak my breakfast when I don't even know how it will benefit me. I believe it reduces late night hunger and gives you a good amount of energy for the day? If you know what the benefits are, please do explain :)

Tomorrow I'm going to throw together egg whites, turkey mince, garlic, tomatoes and pine nuts. It could taste horrible but I might be pleasantly surprised (here's hoping!)

Replies

• Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Serious?
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat for breakfast but I do try to add protein to my cereaal and milk. Some of my choices are a hardboild egg, cottage cheese, almonds, etc.
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I would think it's because of the protein/healthy fat combo. Meat = protein and nuts = protein and monounsaturated fatty acids ("MUFA's aka healthy fat), which "revs your metabolism" and keeps you fuller longer.

That's the only thing that makes sense to me.
  • stronglikebull
    Options
    i really don't think it makes a damn shred of difference what you eat for "breakfast". breakfast as we know it is a social construct that was invented by cereal companies. it is not the "most important meal of the day" and if you "skip" it, you will not die. i don't eat till noon or later every day and i almost never eat "breakfast" food for my first meal. if you want to eat nuts and meat, do it!

your turkey/garlic/pine nut/etc combo sounds delicious by the way :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Lol, most men would be ecstatic if their SO had meat and nuts for breakfast!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Domi_BTGfit
    Options
    For breakfast I have a double protein shake with 2 shots of espresso in them. It is healthy and it kickstarts my metabolism - it also keeps me full until my mid-morning snack/meal. I've had consistent loss, so it obviously works for me... but you have to do what is right for you. I'm not big on meat in general, so I can't comment as to whether that is the way to go. You only have 2kg to hit goal, so it sounds like you know what you're doing - trust your instincts!
  • nammer79
    nammer79 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    well try out a few different things but hey I don't think you can beat meat and nuts for breakfast I say enjoy it high protein meals seem to keep some people full longer
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    my first meal after i get up is usually whatever ppl cooked in the house for dinner and i make eggs for dinner usually or have some cereal
  • iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Lol, most men would be ecstatic if their SO had meat and nuts for breakfast!:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member

LOL
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, if I eat carbs for breakfast I'm hungry again in an hour or two. If I eat proteins and fats (nuts and meat being a good example) I'm satisfied for much longer.
  • splucy
    splucy Posts: 353
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

bahahaha nice one :P
  • splucy
    Options
    From personal experience, if I eat carbs for breakfast I'm hungry again in an hour or two. If I eat proteins and fats (nuts and meat being a good example) I'm satisfied for much longer.

yes it seems to be working out that way for me ^_^ I'm excited to be on to a good thing here!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    where did you hear this "advice"? And what is the supposed benefit?
  • splucy
    Options
    If fat and protein are a good thing to have in the mornings.... then could I opt out the nuts for say... olive oil?
  • splucy
    Options
    FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I can see the protein and good fats making for a good breakfast that would keep you satiated. Our view of what is breakfast food is just something our North American culture has adopted. Other countries don't see cereal and toast as being what you eat in the morning. Heck, I've eaten cold pizza and flat beer for breakfast!
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

lmao, that was what I was thinking. Good start to a morning.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    Cereal and toast are like Chinese food in my system. I'm starving an hour later, so I always have meat and/or nuts with my breakfast. Keeps me full until mid-morning snack of fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's necessarily "meat and nuts"...what people are talking about is the satiate value of high fat and high protein vs carb because apparently carbs leave some people uncontrollably hungry or something. I personally eat eggs, fry up some black forest ham, and have a bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar and blueberries for breakfast pretty much every morning. My afternoon runs/cycles would suck balls if I didn't have my morning oats and fruit...but I also get a lot of protein in there as well.