Running with no water

Options
I am a new runner on the Bridge to 10k program (Recent C25K graduate). I have noticed that if I drink water before I run I get a terrible side cramp that is unbearable. If go without water everything is fine. I live in Tx and it is hot and humid and I dont want to pass out. What can i do to stop the pain I get when I drink water before a run? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    they have some bottles that you can attach to you.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    eat a banana about 30 min before you go out the potassium can help and buy a bottle you can attach to you or is small enough to fit in a fanny pack
  • goodbyerachel
    Options
    Could it just be a matter of cutting down on water?
    That may sound stupid. I don't know. Personally, I drink a ton of water throughout the day but stop two or three hours before I go run because if I have too much I feel off and then as soon as I am done I get water.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I drink about 100 fl oz a day. So maybe stopping liquids at a certain time may help. However I do know that if I drink it even 30 min before a run I will be bent over in pain with that side stitch. Ink. Maybe my breathing is wrong.
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Drink as much water an hour and 15 before you run. I always stop 15-20 mins before my runs and I live in a dry humid climate. I usually run between 4-5 miles. Good luck!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    You know those jugs that you found in commercial offices? They are like 10 gallons or something. I carry it like bane on my back when I jog in fear that I am gonna dehydrate.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    a fuel belt or a camel back is your answer.

But really you don't really need it for under a 10km run (and believe me it gets hot here).

If you are getting a stitch then it's most likely you are going to fast. possibly.
  • jodiegauv91
    Options
    it may just be a matter of how much you drink? I used to notice the same thing but now I tend to drink very little (a sip or 2) but regurlarly during my run. It works for me!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'll add in another vote for stopping drinking a certain amount of time before the run, combined with making sure you are well hydrated leading up to it.

I typically make sure I stop drinking 45min to an hour prior to any run, otherwise it's a fairly uncomfortable run for me. I may take a swallow just before I start, just to wet my mouth a bit.

If its an early morning run, I try to get at least six cups of water in me before I head out. My after work runs aren't much of a problem and I typically have 12-15 cups in me before the run starts.

And when I do drink during a run, it's never more than a sip at a time, otherwise it makes me feel sick.