Sometimes the greatest milestones...are not skin deep

Options
Hello everyone. It's been a while since I posted and I received some exciting news today. I wanted to share it just to show that hard work pays off....it may not be easily seen in the mirror, or through the sizes plummeting in your wardrobe...but by something like this.

Back in Sep. of 2011 I was very unhealthy...I was overweight and finding it a struggle to breathe at times. I went to the doctor who then ordered a lot of lab work...among them my lipid panel (cholesterol). Needless to say all the torment I was throwing on my body was adding up. (cigarettes, drugs, alcohol, fast food, whatever I could get to make me feel better). In Oct. I decided to make a change, I joined MFP and began to watch what I ate...I quit all the bad habits and began working out 3-4 times a week....I easily dropped from 266 in Oct. to 236 that Dec. I was so excited I went from a size 46' pants to 38'...unfortunately after the new year I slacked...pretty bad...but still hit the gym and did a lot more weight training than the cardio I was doing...I gained the weight back...257 currently...I felt bad, yeah...and kinda started feeling like it was all for nought...but my wife (4.5 months prego) talked me into getting back on that horse I fell off of. Well last week I went back to see the doctor to have another checkup...got my labs back from my lipid panel....and I was shocked! Made me realize it's not always about benching the most, or carving the abs, or looking like a greek god....but the way my body thanked me for changing. You're welcome body...you are the only one I have. Remember in the end...it's the little battles that mean the most

cholesterolbefore.jpg

cholesterolafter.jpg

Replies

• kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Nothing is more satisfying than knowing you can do this...I love you baby...I'm so proud of you!
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yeah, from what I've heard, physical activity is the best way to reduce bad cholesterol. I saw a significant improvement when I became more active as well. Great job! :D
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! Both of your panels are eerily similar to mine. it's a great feeling to know you're doing well even if you haven't reached weight loss and fitness goals (yet)
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    That is so much more important than what size pants you are wearing! Great job!
  • RoseAsRose
    Options
    Congratulations!! So good to know that any positive changes - even if we arent perfect - make a difference!!!!
  • happypath101
    Options
    Good stuff. Sometimes when I'm feeling discouraged I remember the day my new doctor was looking at the lab results from our first meeting. She did a double-take on my cholesterol and started priming me about what I do to stay so healthy. (YAY!) Another great moment was when I volunteered for a long-term study and completed an exam with a nurse. She told me that I'm in great shape and said, and I quote, :O)D "If I were giving out gold stars for good health, you'd be getting one today." Sure, I'd love to look like a Victoria's Secret model. But, if a medical professional tells me I'm healthy, well then, that's what really counts, isn't it? :O)
  • mrssko
    mrssko Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is nothing better than going to the doctor and him saying..."wow you lost a boat load of weight!" and then reducing my blood pressure meds!!! Better than anything... my goal is to get off of them all together! Congrats to your success and keep up the good work because you are so totally worth it!
  • FoxxC
    FoxxC Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Great job. Nothing like seeing milestones on paper. Keep up the good work. Shout out to your wife on being a great support system.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!