How much do you eat?

Options
Hi,

I have been keeping track of my calorie intake for a couple of months on and off with no success. When I count my calories when I'm being careful I eat about 1100 (200 less than target) but if I log a really bad day my calorie intake is still only about 1500. I am 5'2" and a very busy Mum to 3 kids, I hardly ever sit down, maybe just to have a cuppa and a catch-up with the world on the computer. Can anyone share advice as I'm begining to wonder if a trip to the doctors might shed some light on why my weight continues to creep up? Thank you :)

Replies

• Jemellc
    Jemellc Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I sense some stress. Try minimizing stress. Stay positive.
    Realize that this is a process. Work harder at the gym. Enjoy your work outs.
    Are you drinking almost have your body weight? Increase those nutrients!
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Eat small portions throughout the day:)
  • Jemellc
    Options
    My dietician motivates me....... So maybe that will help?
  • Jemellc
    Options
    Eat small portions throughout the day:)

Agree.
    I eat 6 times a day....small meals and love it.
  • ricebarbiee
    Options
    The amount of calories isn't all that will affect your weight loss, it depends on what kind of calories you're taking in too. Are you taking in too much sugar or fat? Just remember to eat clean =]
  • nursenessa1
    nursenessa1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I eat 400 calories every 4 hours. Work out and eat the calories earned. Are you weighiing stuff or guesstimating?
  • KatrinaRolt
    Options
    Thanks folks, I do weigh my food and I cook alot myself and I have added my meals in how I cook them. I do tend to eat a lot of protein so I'll have a look at the fat that I'm taking with it. It is hard to get to the gym so I've been doing daily circuit training using Jillian Michael's DVD. It so frustrating - my Mum came to stay with me for a month and even though she had a few drinks while she was here (I only drink 1 every 2 months if I'm lucky!) she went home a couple of kilos lighter!
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE, you may need to adjust the calories your eating. I hadn't lost an ounce since June and upped my calories from 1200 to no less than 1525 and it broke my plateau.

Here's a good calculator
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • jbrann911
    Options
    Work Outs don't have to be traditional gym based to count. Use the kids!!!!! 60 minutes of no usual activity a day go to the park walk all around "hunting" for that perfect picnic spot walk quickly and purposefully kids think its a game.

I count my calories, but I also portion everything if its over 10 calories. I use Salsa as a base for sauces its 10 calories I usually use 2 portions whats 20 calories if it actually covers what I am covering. I mix alot of things together like a chemistry major...lol instead of 160 cal salad dressing 25 cal Fat Free Italian + Spicy Mustard 0 cal is my favorite dressing creamy and spicy what not to love! oh yeah and 25 cal. Bought a new set of rubbermaid storage containers those real tiny ones are perfect for salad dressing mix up a few types keep in fridge for grab and go.

Favorite snack is jello - kids love it too I make hole bag of sugar free into a storage container 5 cal/ serving thats 4 servings so an huge snack for 20 calories add a serving of whip topping 25 calories and a 1/2 can of fruit 45 calories = 90 calories usually gets me 2 snacks out of it. Still less than a 100 calorie pack of whatever that always leaves you feeling like you eat nothing and costs way more than 4 for a $1 jello thats a week worth of snacks - takes effort to boil the water but do it when doing dinner whats another pot.
  • kellyh0709
    kellyh0709 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding out your BMR and starting from there.

Also if you eat too little your body will go into starvation mode and keep hold of everything you oput ina nd will hamper weightloss.

It seems odd but if you don't eat enough it will hamper your weighloss as much as eating too much.

Using your BMR and working out possibly how active you are being, should give you a good base level of calories which you need to intake to lose weight.

MFP will only give a rough guide as to the calories you need and is not as accurate at times as working out your BMR and average activity burn you shoudl be more accurate. Exercise is not only thegym, dvd. Running after the kids, cleaning up is also activity you should record if it is strenuous.

Clean eating is a good way to ensure you get teh right kind of calories in your system too. If you ovberload on sugar and carbs, your body has an easy fuel source and will not look to use your fat stores, so protein is your friend!!

You need to burn / eat under by 3500 cals a week to lose 1lbs of weight. So if your BMR was 1500 which is you absolutely doing nothing other than exsisting. You burn 250 cals a day and set your cals at 1250, you should lose a 1lbs a week.
  • KatrinaRolt
    Options
    Thank you everyone, It does seem that I am eating too little, it's going to take a bit getting used to eating 300 extra calories a day.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Have you calculated your BMR and TDEE, you may need to adjust the calories your eating. I hadn't lost an ounce since June and upped my calories from 1200 to no less than 1525 and it broke my plateau.

Here's a good calculator
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

^This. I upped from 1200 to netting 1700 and got to goal.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm taller then you (5'9) but I eat anywhere between 1500-2000 calories a day... so I bet you could stand to eat a bit more if you are eating 200 under target.

What kind of exercise are you doing? Make sure you are doing cardio/weights.... weights is what helps retain lean muscle mass, lean muscle mass is what helps determine metabolism.

Also, you don't have to eat clean.. nor do you have to eat 6 meals a day. Both of those things does absolutely squat for metabolism and losing weight. If you want to eat that way, fine.. but there is nothing that says you have to.

Edited to add: You said you are pretty active.. which means you should def. be eating more then 1100. Try eating calorie dense foods to help boost the calorie count but without eating more food.
  • KatrinaRolt
    Options
    Well folks - Thank you all so much for the help. I upped my Calorie target to 1630 and have made sure I'm no more than 200 under in anyone day and.... Yes - the weight is begining to shift - 0.4kg since last check in!
  • chloeidk
    Options
    food makes me nervous i wasnt like tht b4 i used to eat anything with no worries but now i feel this way and it makes me sad :/
  • natashaaevans
    natashaaevans Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good luck!