What makes u bloated? What helps?

Options
I'm fed up with feeling bloated all the time. I dobt eat wheat or dairy and I've recently tried to cut out sugar but I still feel massively bloated. What makes other people bloated? What do u do to stop the boosting? Feel free to look at my diary and comment although bear in mind I have been on holiday for 2 weeks (been trying to eat cleaner since Monday this week).

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Exercise makes you bloated
    Salt makes you bloated
    Not drinking enough water makes you bloated

What Helps -
    Take a rest day from exercise
    Reduce salt intake
    Drink more water - about 6 to 8 glasses a day
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say that your profile pic made my morning. Love it :laugh:
  • Victorian131
    Options
    I get bloated a lot too, its definitely from exercise, but also, I found that if you aren't drinking enough water and then suddenly up your intake, that can make you feel bloated too until your body settles down to the amount of fluid you're putting in your body, so don't give up drinking more if it makes you bloated at first.
    Now my body has got used to being fully hydrated I can't begin to describe the good it has done for my weightloss and general health.
    Hope you feel better and find a solution soon!
  • newyorklover91
    newyorklover91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well (I have IBS).. I suffer with pains and bloating every single day, and to make matters worse, I have an office job and sit down all day and my belly just gurgles all day long! If anyone else has a solution to this (I have been to the doctors that many times and they can't come up with anything that will reduce the symptoms) I would also love to know. Thanks for posting this !
  • mywayroche
    mywayroche Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well (I have IBS).. I suffer with pains and bloating every single day, and to make matters worse, I have an office job and sit down all day and my belly just gurgles all day long! If anyone else has a solution to this (I have been to the doctors that many times and they can't come up with anything that will reduce the symptoms) I would also love to know. Thanks for posting this !

I suffered with IBS for most of my life until i started eating 7-10 portions of vegetables a day and exercising as much as I could handle (slowly increasing volume/intensity) while maintaining high water intake. I've been symptom free for over a year now.
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    There is also something like "leaky gut syndrome" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaky_gut_syndrome
    Maybe something to look into to? But perhaps if you eat pretty cleanly this isn't your issue, just came to mind :)
  • santi251
    santi251 Posts: 47
    Options
    I just wanted to say that your profile pic made my morning. Love it :laugh:

Yes That made me laugh too!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • shrinkingkiwi
    shrinkingkiwi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey there. Many people have a reaction to fructose which can be similar to the reaction to lactose. Only problem is fructose is in so many things it is hard to draw the connection. Foods high in fructose include onions, honey, anything with high fructose corn syrup (used as a sweetener in many countries), apples but the list is huge

http://foodintolerances.org/downloads/fructose-food-table.aspx

Wheat is high in fructose - and sometimes fructose intolerance can be mistaken for wheat intolerance because in many cases most of the fructose in your diet may be from wheat and cereals.

In saying this - I had the bloat for years (looked pregnant) and my tummy made rumbling sounds so loud I was sure the whole office could hear and chronic fatigue. It turned out I had coeliac disease and sometime this make people react not just to gluten - but fructose and lactose as well. It's worth getting a blood test - but you need to be back on the bread (at least 4 slices a day) for a couple of weeks before you are tested. Which will make you feel icky. Now I have been on a gluten free diet for 2 years my frutose and intolerances are starting to disappear. I also have loads of energy.

http://www.coeliac.org.nz/what_is_coeliacdisease
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are not drinking water - that will contribute to bloat. You are also not eating all your calories - that won't cause bloat, but it will slow down weight loss. Also try to spread your food around the day. You have two snack times that are not being used.

I'm not a nutritionist, but I find that eating every few hours helps my weight loss.
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I think its about the food we eat and our heart. very simple in my brain right now...try more whole natural foods with natural sources of fat, potassium, sodium, carbs, fiber and protein. everything else will fall into line, like above poster states. listen to your body. it knows what to do.

oh, and omega 3 omega 3 omega 3!! some great sources are real cheese, butter, milk, eggs, grass fed meats, veggies, fruit...
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not eating enough carbs will make you bloated, choose wholewheat bread, pasta and rice. it is full of fibre and will regulate your digestive system.
  • lozfisher
    Options
    Thanks for all your comments :-)
  • ocean26
    ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Sugar free gum, diet soda, pretzels, fruit, basically any carbs
  • icedragon009
    Options
    FODMAPs google them have a look at them it is all to do with sugars in food (lactose, gluten etc...). I have IBS and I am required (my choice) to follow a low FODMAP diet (where i can it does slip...) I went from bloating, feeling sick, gas and all the rest to near symtom free in 2 weeks following this. Please be advised it is a specilised part of nutrition and should consult a doctor or dietrian!
  • shrinkingkiwi
    shrinkingkiwi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    FODMAPs google them have a look at them it is all to do with sugars in food (lactose, gluten etc...). I have IBS and I am required (my choice) to follow a low FODMAP diet (where i can it does slip...) I went from bloating, feeling sick, gas and all the rest to near symtom free in 2 weeks following this. Please be advised it is a specilised part of nutrition and should consult a doctor or dietrian!

Yup FODMAP eliminates frustose, lactose and wheat so is a great choice. But dietitian is a great idea as there are many many foods you will not be able to eat.
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You could try peppermint tea.
  • clobercow
    clobercow Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    It's quite possible you have a lactose and/or a gluten intolerance.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

I suffered with IBS for most of my life until i started eating 7-10 portions of vegetables a day and exercising as much as I could handle (slowly increasing volume/intensity) while maintaining high water intake. I've been symptom free for over a year now.

I suffered ith crohns for years. Ive been symptom free since starting a brand of nutritional shakes and increasing my fruit intake!
  • MarisaLWood
    MarisaLWood Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm extremely sodium-sensitive. One single high-sodium meal can lead to 4-5 pounds of water weight gain for me.

The one thing that has helped me most is tracking my sodium intake and trying not to let it go above 2300 mg per day at the very most (I think the MFP guideline is a bit too high). I always lose the water weight after a couple of days of this.

If you're not already tracking your sodium intake, that might be something to try... as well as lowering your intake and seeing what happens.