Adjusting Settings

Options
Hi

I just wondered if anyone could help me with how I would adjust the settings on MFP? I really would like to make my carb target lower and protein target higher if possibles as this is what I have been advised to do by the dieticien I was refered to by my consultant. Can anyone advise?

thanks

Replies

• kymdarnell
    kymdarnell Posts: 101
    Options
    go to settings, then goals, scroll down to bottom where it says "change goals" :-)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_custom is where you do it.

30 - 35% protein is high enough for most people. 30% for carbs perhaps - you didn't say what your issue is - and fat is the rest.

Daily calories and your height & weight might be helpful to know.
  • mollypink
    Options
    thank you

I am 5ft 6 and weigh 252, I did weigh 296 but have lost some before joining.

I suffer from Polycystic Ovaries which has an affect on insulin levels in the body which is why a low carb/higher protein diet is suggested although not to extremes. I have switched all white food for the brown variety i.e. rice, bread and pasta and I avoid potato. I suffered with a serious blood clot on my lung in October and nearly died which they have foudn no medical reason for other than the size of my legs putting too much strain on my body causing a DVT which travelled to my lung.

I exercise five times a week which I try to vary but is normally gym (cardio and weights) swimming and badminton

Any advice appreciated
  • KateinSomerset
    KateinSomerset Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Can't advise you on how to change settings, sorry... but just wanted to say

WELL DONE

for taking charge of your future health and from the sounds of your exercise routine and eating habits, life is going to be very different for you.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Polycystic Ovaries which has an affect on insulin levels in the body which is why a low carb/higher protein diet is suggested although not to extremes
    OK, let's say 100g/day of carbs then - high enough to keep you out of ketosis.

A slim version of yourself might weigh 140 lbs with 20% bodyfat so 110 lbs of lean body mass which gives you a daily protein target of 88 - 110g (at 0.8 - 1.0g per lb of lean body weight).

100g of carbs, 100g of protein is 800 calories. Add 70g of fats & oils = 630 calories makes 1430 calories a day.

28 protein / 28 carbs / 44 fat perhaps.

Switching colours of rice,bread and pasta doesn't really help. They are still carbohydrates and will still appear as white glucose in your blood stream. They need to be restricted in quantity to meet your goal.
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thank you

I suffer from Polycystic Ovaries which has an affect on insulin levels in the body which is why a low carb/higher protein diet is suggested although not to extremes. I have switched all white food for the brown variety i.e. rice, bread and pasta and I avoid potato. I suffered with a serious blood clot on my lung in October and nearly died which they have foudn no medical reason for other than the size of my legs putting too much strain on my body causing a DVT which travelled to my lung.

I exercise five times a week which I try to vary but is normally gym (cardio and weights) swimming and badminton

Any advice appreciated

I generally tell everyone to do the following - great results can be found in cutting out all simple carbs, rice, pastas, grains, starches, and sugar. Brown or white, kick em to the curb. Keep in mind two proven facts, 1. Simple sugars have an almost direct effect on hormonal levels and could directly lead to any female related issues, not to mention mess up your metabolism. 2. Illnesses, cancer, and general bad stuff in the body is ALSO given a boost of energy when you feel the sugar rush of simple carbs.

Unlike everyone who totes enjoying fats etc etc, I actually believe in keeping fats to non saturated fats and non transfats. Get all your carbs from greens.

It seems like your health is in a rut and it can be discouraging. But keep it up. Interval training is key, and progress isn't over night. Just keep at it! You can do it.
  • mollypink
    Options
    I suffer from Polycystic Ovaries which has an affect on insulin levels in the body which is why a low carb/higher protein diet is suggested although not to extremes
    OK, let's say 100g/day of carbs then - high enough to keep you out of ketosis.

A slim version of yourself might weigh 140 lbs with 20% bodyfat so 110 lbs of lean body mass which gives you a daily protein target of 88 - 110g (at 0.8 - 1.0g per lb of lean body weight).

100g of carbs, 100g of protein is 800 calories. Add 70g of fats & oils = 630 calories makes 1430 calories a day.

28 protein / 28 carbs / 44 fat perhaps.

Switching colours of rice,bread and pasta doesn't really help. They are still carbohydrates and will still appear as white glucose in your blood stream. They need to be restricted in quantity to meet your goal.

Thank you - thats where MFP has set my calories to, I am also obviously gaining extra calories from exercise to. I will adjust the carb/protein levels slightly but just use this as a guide.
  • mollypink
    Options
    thank you

Any advice appreciated

I generally tell everyone to do the following - great results can be found in cutting out all simple carbs, rice, pastas, grains, starches, and sugar. Brown or white, kick em to the curb. Keep in mind two proven facts, 1. Simple sugars have an almost direct effect on hormonal levels and could directly lead to any female related issues, not to mention mess up your metabolism. 2. Illnesses, cancer, and general bad stuff in the body is ALSO given a boost of energy when you feel the sugar rush of simple carbs.

Unlike everyone who totes enjoying fats etc etc, I actually believe in keeping fats to non saturated fats and non transfats. Get all your carbs from greens.

It seems like your health is in a rut and it can be discouraging. But keep it up. Interval training is key, and progress isn't over night. Just keep at it! You can do it.

Thank you - this makes sense, I am going to try and keep the things mentioned to a minimum. my husband does all the cooking and he makes a lot from scratch so we have very little in terms of processed foods which I think will help.

My weight has got out of control from eating portions which are far to big and not exercising at all, plus binge eating when I have tried various diets including VLCD. This has all started to change but its the start of a long journey for me I think so that this becomes the "norm" - I do not want to look at it as a diet in any way shape or form. My health problems are without a doubt caused from my eating habits being out of control but I am now in control of my body and mind, therefore I am in control of what I do to myself. I have got over myself feeling guilty about the damage I have done and I am now rectifying it and it will take as long as it takes :o)