So disappointed, though not sure what i expected :(

Options
I'm a really bad shopper - even with a list, i get overexcited by the ideas i have when i get to the supermarket and see all the options and i end up coming home with half the ingredients to make lots of things, and end up making something easy and fatty instead. so in an effort to eat better i've been making a couple of big pots of freezeable things each week, and portioning it out, so that i have no excuse but to grab something from the freezer and run with it. So far, so good.
This week i thought i'd have a crack at something different, so decided to do pea soup and onion soup, from recipes i sourced on the good ol' interwebz (by engaging my imagination and googling 'low calorie onion/pea soup')
the pea soup will be fine - onion, stock, peas.. what can possibly go wrong? but the onion soup, i'm not sure what i was thinking! 500g onions, a bit of garlic, some stock, a bit of worstershire sauce.. you know what it tastes like? funnily enough, it tastes like an oniony bowl of stock! what did i expect??

Replies

• tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm a really bad shopper - even with a list, i get overexcited by the ideas i have when i get to the supermarket and see all the options and i end up coming home with half the ingredients to make lots of things, and end up making something easy and fatty instead. so in an effort to eat better i've been making a couple of big pots of freezeable things each week, and portioning it out, so that i have no excuse but to grab something from the freezer and run with it. So far, so good.
    This week i thought i'd have a crack at something different, so decided to do pea soup and onion soup, from recipes i sourced on the good ol' interwebz (by engaging my imagination and googling 'low calorie onion/pea soup')
    the pea soup will be fine - onion, stock, peas.. what can possibly go wrong? but the onion soup, i'm not sure what i was thinking! 500g onions, a bit of garlic, some stock, a bit of worstershire sauce.. you know what it tastes like? funnily enough, it tastes like an oniony bowl of stock! what did i expect??
    Take your oniony bowl of stock, and get a hand blender, blend it so it's nearly smooth. take a slice of wholewheat bread, toast it, then rub it with a slice of garlic, sprinkle some good cheese re-toast it, until the cheese is just bubbly. putthe hot soup on a bowl big enough for one, and float/dip the toast in the soup. That is the way to eat onion soup. (and yes onion soup will taste of onions....
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Also for onion soup you need to cook the onions low & slow, not just a quick 5 min sweat off. Lid on & keep them going for 40 mins - an hour. Make sure you don't let them burn, stir often, enough oil to keep things moving.
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I use to love French Onion soup but now I cant tolerate it.If anything you have a good base stock for cooking something else with it, bag it up and freeze it for future use
  • Beksnevin
    Options
    I use to love French Onion soup but now I cant tolerate it.If anything you have a good base stock for cooking something else with it, bag it up and freeze it for future use

Thats a good idea - no waste! I am sure it will make something else taste lovely!

I also do the same - run out with big ideas and come back with half the ingredients and more of things I dont need - list or no list! But I have been just doing soups with whatever I have anyway and it still has been edible!
  • KrisThomas1964
    Options
    My fav soup home made i make this twice a month

Tomato and red onion soup : Serves 3

4 large tomatoes, halved
    1 medium onion, thinly sliced
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 spray low-fat cooking spray
    600ml tomato juice
    300ml fresh stock
    1tbsp dried mixed herbs
    1tsp basil, torn into pieces, plus extra, to garnish
    1 splash Tabasco pepper sauce
    4 small pots very low-fat plain yogurt

Preheat the oven to gas mark 6, 200°C, fan oven 180°C. Put the tomatoes, onion and garlic into a roasting tin. Spray with low fat cooking spray and roast for 20-25 mins, turning once. Cool, then remove the tomato skins and chop the tomatoes.

Pour the tomato juice and stock into large saucepan and add the roasted vegetables, mixed herbs, basil and Tabasco. Bring up to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 5-10 mins. Serve the soup, topping each portion with 1tbsp yogurt and a few basil leaves.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    soup recipies
    http://www.newcoventgardensoup.com/
    i love all there cook books - tasty and indulgent though i normally add way less salt than they say!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Take your oniony bowl of stock, and get a hand blender, blend it so it's nearly smooth. take a slice of wholewheat bread, toast it, then rub it with a slice of garlic, sprinkle some good cheese re-toast it, until the cheese is just bubbly. putthe hot soup on a bowl big enough for one, and float/dip the toast in the soup. That is the way to eat onion soup. (and yes onion soup will taste of onions....

Thanks, I did as you suggested and it was.. Ok.
    still pretty much just tasted like a bowl of stock, but to be honest I'm such a sucker for a bit of grilled cheese that I ended up hoovering it down!
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Also for onion soup you need to cook the onions low & slow, not just a quick 5 min sweat off. Lid on & keep them going for 40 mins - an hour. Make sure you don't let them burn, stir often, enough oil to keep things moving.

at least I got this bit right! Got the heavy bottomed pan out and cooked those mothers for almost an hour!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on the ability to use the google monster, a skill so many people seem to lack. Well done. Add other things to the onion soup until it tastes like onion and other-things soup. Or put a piece of toasted bread in it and some cheese on top. Cheese and bread make everything better.