McDonald's is good for you.

Options
skinimin
skinimin Posts: 252 Member
This is a serious question and if anyone is really knowledgeable on nutrition and how it affects the body I would love your input.

So in Australia the nutrition of a McDonald's cheeseburger is as follows:

Calories: 284
Protein: 15.1g
Fat (total): 12.4g
-Saturated: 6.0
Carbs: 26.3
Sugars: 4.5
Sodium: 747mg

Now I wonder if this burger is actually no so bad for me because it is only a quarter of my recommended daily fat intake and it's actually not that high in sugar AND that is a lot of protein for one item of food. So I'm thinking, once the macros are broken down, a burger actually isn't so bad... And if I included it in my diet a few times a week (not everyday but more than once a week) would it really hinder me in my quest to reduce overall body fat %?

I mean the burger alone, not in a meal or anything. For more insight, the rest of my diet is generally a bowl of porridge (oats) for breakfast, a lentil & vegetable mix for lunch and either fruit or protein shakes as morning/afternoon snack.

AM I INSANE? Or could a burger be a really great way to get my protein intake up a few times a week? (I have an intake goal of 98g per day and imma struggling to reach it)

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    beef and cheese are perfectly good foods, so a cheeseburger is also. Not sure the bun does anything for it, but yes it's a good protein source.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    NO food is bad for you. Eat everything in moderation, and you’ll be fine. Even a burger
  • smaschin
    smaschin Posts: 91
    Options
    Mcdonalds and Burger King etc are great for vegetarians as there is no meat in any of their products ! LOL ;-)
  • treehugger215
    treehugger215 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    it's not necessarily calories, but what the calories are from (same goes for fats). Super processed food, such as mcdonalds, is bad for you.. your body cannot use this as fuel, it will just slow you down. If you want a cheeseburger, make it at home with meat that isnt full of a bunch of antibiotics, make it from real cheese, try a gluten free bun, ect
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Burgers alone aren't so bad - it's the fries that are really bad. The only thing is that (in my experince) a McDonald's cheeseburger is pretty small and only keeps you full for a really short time. I like home-made cheeseburgers better and usually bake my own whole grain bun, use lean meat and add lots of veggies. Then a burger can be really healthy.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Ive always revered McDonalds and Burger King the Colon-cleanse for societal needs. When you were bound up and couldnt take a dump, all you had to do was eat one burger, one order of fries and a milkshake. GUARANTEED to clean your inner 'self' out within 6 hours...

8-P
  • Lumett
    Lumett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This post title made my eyes bleed, McDonalds should'nt even be classed as food.

EDIT: Also, there are much better things to up your protein intake such as chicken breast snacks etc:)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    On paper it looks good. No question about it. Its more to do with what you get out of the calories. For example, if I were to eat fries and burgers all day, I would have to eat 2-3 times more calories to satisfy my body screaming for nutrition that isn't part of the table (vitamins etc). Now if I were to eat only fruits and veggies only, I would get all the nutrition in the world but my body would be starving for calories . Also, it would be craving for some savory "bad" food that we're so used to now.

So you have to find a balance. After a friends recommendation, I follow a 80/20 rule. 80% of my calories come from "clean" eats and the rest 20% from "bad" foods (candy, chips etc). The clean eats take care of the micros and the stomach feeling full and the bad eats take care of any cravings I might be having.

Hope you find this helpful

ETA: Before somebody jumps on me. This is something that I do and what has been working for me. If you'd rather try something else, feel free. This is just purely what I like
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of fat though. Especially since their regular cheeseburgers are tiny and you'll be hungry like an hour later. You're better off making your own burger at home with fresh ingredients.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I would often eat a burger as part of generally being 'healthy'. Ideally at home; got my own meat mincer so sometimes where I've chosen a lean cut of meat to start with and done it all myself.

Never been a McDonalds fan; been a few times recently and the total calorie count explains why I'm usually left unsatisfied even from a bigger burger.

Recently I've been getting venison grill steaks:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/edit/39796465
    A single slice of bread cut in half for the 'bun'. Add lettuce, tomato, onion, bacon meddalions a low-fat burger cheese slice and you've got a very tasty meal that's very high in protein and very low fat with not many carbs either.
    I think Kangaroo's supposed to be quite good for a lean meat, so could be worth looking at that for something similar
  • skinimin
    Options
    Hmm good point about the processed part. But in Australia they use 100% Australian beef, it's like this huge thing so I don't think the meat is necessarily as processed as it may be in other countries (is that naive of me? American McDonald's sure tastes different!!).

Agreed, the bun is **** haha but my hands would get sticky...
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Yea mcdonalds is defo good for you! Classed as one of your 5 a day..
  • Lumett
    Lumett Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are much better foods for upping your protein intake with a LOT better Protein:Calorie ratio, please don't eat McDonalds to up your protein intake :( and as said before you'll not even be statisfied
  • RandomPeopleDancin
    Options
    Well according to my biology teacher and his research, if the burgers didn't have lettuce and gherkins, it would actually have to be classed as a confectionery item because of the amount of sugar it contains. I guess protein wise it is high, but personally I would rather avoid it.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Now if I were to eat only fruits and veggies only, I would get all the nutrition in the world but my body would be starving for calories
    - good luck with the protein, fats, fat soluble vitamins etc etc.
  • Bodybuilder28
    Options
    I do realize McDonald's isn't the healthy'ist choice but im sure you can fit a cheeseburger into your macro-nutrients for the day. The thing is even though you can fit it in and not get fat i still think its best to minimize fast foods like this because most of there burgers and nuggets are filler and not true food . Anything in moderation is fine though, as long as its not in excess. Also its good to hear you have oatmeal. Fiber is important to help flush out your system and keep everything running smothley. i Have a cup of steel cut oats a day :D
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Seriously if you want to eat McDonalds eat it. Just stick to your calories. Yeah if the health freaks thinks it is processed food then so be it, but a LITTLE of what you fancy does not harm you. Especially if you are like me and want something so bad that you end up forgoing your new life change and pig out on what you want, when you restrict yourself fully. Eat healthily most of the time and if you want MaccyD's then have a little and make wise choices. When I HAVE to have one, I usually have a Quarterpounder no cheese and a salad, no fries and that comes in a total of about 450 calories x.
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Super processed food, such as mcdonalds, is bad for you.. your body cannot use this as fuel, it will just slow you down.

I'm not advocating McDonalds, and I do eat it from time-to-time but how exactly are you considering it "super processed"? Please explain.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    McD's always leaves us hungry. But as an occasional meal it won't kill you.
    If you're just after the idea of fast food, are there no "real" burger places near you? We have Gourmet Burger Kitchen in UK. More money, but quality ingredients. So you get the eating out fast food style experience. Or just make your own like others have said.

We do Golden Arches occasionally, after a long road trip, or because it's a quick option, but I would rather a million other places
  • skinimin
    Options
    It's more that the macros of the burger was really interesting. We have healthy burger places but they're not drive through, it's all sit down. The biggest draw of the McDonald's burger in this situation for me is the level of protein (and sort of convenience) because everything else, even chicken and lentils only has 6g here or 10g there and I'm trying to make it to 98g a day. And if I eat more chicken then I go over in calories but I can stay under in calories and still pack a punch to my protein intake, or so it would seem anyway....